It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

Thyroid Disorders Message Board
Post New Thread   Closed Thread
LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 05-02-2006, 02:11 PM   #1
(female)

primabellarina HB User
Question Weight loss with hypothyroid?

Hello:

I am new to these boards, pretty much new to thyroid boards in particular. However, I am not new to being hypo. I was diagnosed in December 2004. My doctor originally had my TSH at a 3.6, then I got a new doctor (in February 2006) who lowered it to 1.8, as of my test on April 20. He has increased my dosage to try to get it closer to 1. So, I have been on Synthroid this whole time. I started on 100, went to 125 in February, and am now on 150. I am feeling better and working out. Here is my dilema:

I need to lose the weight I gained which is about 60 pounds. For the past 3 weeks, I have been exercising everyday 30-60 minutes on the elliptical and trying to keep calories at about 1200. Although I feel better and "tighter," I have not noticed any change in clothes or the scale.

One other message board that I was reading had horrible luck with losing weight. This depressed me horribly instead of being encouraging. I am wondering, has anyone here had weight lose success and if so, what did you have to do to start seeing a change?

I am sorry for rambling, but am trying to give some background info.

Thanks,
Cris
(By the way, I am 28 if that matters)

Last edited by primabellarina; 05-02-2006 at 02:11 PM.

Old 05-02-2006, 03:38 PM   #2
(female)

appleofearth HB User
Re: Weight loss with hypothyroid?

Hey Cris, welcome!

As far as I understand, you will continue to have problems with losing weight until the damage that was done to your body while you were hypothyroid is repaired... this can take a year or so to mend after you reach the correct dose for you... Although you're feeling better your body is fixing all the stuff that was wrong while you were feeling ill...

I'm in the same situation, exercise loads and eat properly most of the time but my weight keeps on going up - I'm just holding onto the knowledge that it'll go eventually if I stick to my healthy lifestyle. There's a book out there called The Thyroid Diet, don't remember the author's name but the title should be enough - that has loads of suggestions of foods that are good for ppl with thyroid probs.

Good luck!

Becky

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 05-02-2006, 07:17 PM   #3
Senior Veteran
(female)

midwest1 HB Usermidwest1 HB Usermidwest1 HB Usermidwest1 HB Usermidwest1 HB Usermidwest1 HB Usermidwest1 HB Usermidwest1 HB Usermidwest1 HB Usermidwest1 HB Usermidwest1 HB User

Did you see this thread, just started the other day...
http://www.healthboards.com/boards/showthread.php?t=387641

Old 05-02-2006, 08:41 PM   #4
(female)

MOLLY6 HB User

What I would like to ask, is along with the weight gain does anyone else notice that your skin is kind of gray looking and very itchy? Before all this started I used to have decent skin - no breakouts. This may sound silly but it almost looks like your skin is too thick. I guess its from the excess water you hold with a thyroid problem, or maybe its just all in my mind.

Old 05-03-2006, 03:37 AM   #5
(female)

appleofearth HB User

Quote:
Originally Posted by midwest1
Did you see this thread, just started the other day...
[url]http://www.healthboards.com/boards/showthread.php?t=387641[/url]
ooo no i didn't! I'd never have time to read all the threads on here so I just open up the ones that look directly relevant to me - rarely go into ones about hashi's specifically because I don't have it so don't feel that I could be that much help...
will look now!

Old 05-03-2006, 08:27 AM   #6
Senior Veteran
(female)

elmhar HB Userelmhar HB User

Dr John Lowe finds his hypoT patients have a hard time losing weight on T4 alone, and that some people even gain weight on T4. Adding T3, Cytomel or Armour, seems to be a better bet for weight loss.

Best wishes.

Closed Thread