It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

Thyroid Disorders Message Board
Post New Thread   Closed Thread
LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 05-03-2006, 06:26 AM   #1
Senior Veteran
(female)

Delia79 HB User
Curious with questions

I just had a few questions and thought maybe someone could answer here for me. I suspect that I may have a thyroid problem. I have had my TSH tested several times over the last four years because of a large family history of thyroid disease, but have always had "normal" results. I recently was placed on Toprol (a beta blocker) for tachycardia. The cardiologist is the one who finally decided to test more than just the TSH, but I am still waiting to hear back from him as I called and the nurse said he hasn't evaluated my tests (blood work and echocardiogram) yet and I was there THREE WEEKS AGO! Anyway, I was wondering, are thyroid nodules noticable, like can you see them? I was just curious, because I noticed that when I swallow that around my thyroid area there is a place on the right side that it seems to protrude a little more. I tried to feel around and also noticed that in this area that it is a little tender. Also, I always notice in pictures that my neck seems different than others. I don't know how to explain what I mean but to say that it looks bigger or manly or something compared to other girls. Does that make sense? I always laugh to my friends and say that in pictures I look like a man because of my neck! Just wondering if it is something you'd be able to feel? Thanks for anyone who can answer!

Last edited by Delia79; 05-03-2006 at 06:29 AM.

Old 05-03-2006, 06:57 AM   #2
Senior Veteran
(female)

illmakeit HB User
Re: Curious with questions

Hi Delia,

I could feel mine - that was how my doc found it. However, it was over 3 cm. Smaller nodules can not always be felt. You would need to have an ultra sound of your thyroid to find them. Mine wasn't tender at first. Everyone is different, of course.

You are in the US so you have a right to a copy of your labs - and I am sure they are back by now. Call and ask for a copy - or go by the office. They can also read you the results. Post them here - WITH THE RANGES. The docs NORMAL ranges are not always true. Anything above 2.5-3.0 for TSH is not normal. For some, they need to be below 2.

Call that office and demand your results - politely of course!!
Quote:
Originally Posted by Delia79
I recently was placed on Toprol (a beta blocker) for tachycardia.
I believe a lot of people with thyroid problems also have tachycardia. I have seen it discussed on this board. You could search this board for tachycardia to see their discussions.

Let us know what your lab results were.
Take care.

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 05-03-2006, 07:11 AM   #3
Senior Veteran
(female)

midwest1 HB Usermidwest1 HB Usermidwest1 HB Usermidwest1 HB Usermidwest1 HB Usermidwest1 HB Usermidwest1 HB Usermidwest1 HB Usermidwest1 HB Usermidwest1 HB Usermidwest1 HB User

Look at the AACE's website for a self-exam called "The Neck Check". It does sound to me as if you have either a nodule or a generally enlarged thyroid. They are sometimes, although not always, visible. Has a doctor ever palpated your neck checking for lumps or enlargement?

Old 05-03-2006, 09:48 AM   #4
Senior Veteran
(female)

Delia79 HB User

Midwest,
Yes about four or five years ago the first doctor that ever brought up the thyroid issue to me palpated my neck, but said it felt normal. Although I never noticed it at that time either. I have actually tired looking at older pictures of myself and comparing them to more recent ones and it does look somewhat different to me. I promise I am not crazy! Also, and of course this could all be in my head, I really feel like sometimes that my eyes look bigger or something. It's hard to explain but they just seem to stand out so much to me. Like I said, I only notice this bump or whatever you want to call it when I swallow. It seems to come up out of no where. And I realize that there is also your esophagus and all that there, but this doesn't feel hard like a bone, it feels softer than that, but harder than regular skin and muscle. I would say it is only around the size of a dime? I will check out that website though, thanks for telling me about it.

Also, yes I did call my doctor's office for my test results. I at first assumed because I didn't hear anything back that it meant everything was normal on the echo and blood work. Then my dad yelled at me and told me to never assume that and that I needed to call (my dad is obviously smarter than I am when it comes to this stuff) I asked the lady that I spoke to (the one performed the echo) for my results to both and she said that the doctor was very behind and and hadn't even evaulated my tests yet and would call me sometime this week to let me know. So, I wasn't sure if that was right or not considering it is a cardiologist and not just a regular doctor, I wasn't sure how it worked. So you think I should call again? Do you think she could've given me the results to the blood work at least and just didn't? Sorry for so many questions. I just want to figure out what is going on and feel like I have to go through all options without giving up. I can't accept that my heart rate is so high just because it is, I want an answer! By the way, if it helps, my dad, grandma, and two aunts are hypo, and my mom's sister has Graves and her aunt is hyper. Thanks again guys for your help, sorry to ramble on so long!

Last edited by Delia79; 05-03-2006 at 09:50 AM.

Old 05-03-2006, 10:26 AM   #5
Senior Veteran
(female)

illmakeit HB User

I know you directed this at midwest, but this is just my 2 cents worth.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Delia79
So you think I should call again? Do you think she could've given me the results to the blood work at least and just didn't? Sorry for so many questions. I just want to figure out what is going on and feel like I have to go through all options without giving up. I can't accept that my heart rate is so high just because it is, I want an answer! By the way, if it helps, my dad, grandma, and two aunts are hypo, and my mom's sister has Graves and her aunt is hyper. Thanks again guys for your help, sorry to ramble on so long!
Yes, you should call again. She COULD have given you the blood work results, however, it takes time and they want to get you OFF the phone, out of the office etc. Also, most people have no idea what they mean anyway. Be sure to get the ranges for everything when you call. Sounds like your dad would be a good person to take with you to your appointment. It was mentioned earlier that some male docs treat women different from men. Also, thyroid problems run in families.

Ask all the questions you have. This is they way we learn. I just read a Patient Empowerment study about diabetes. If it works for diabetes, why not other health problems? Knowledege is empowerment!

Old 05-03-2006, 02:29 PM   #6
(female)

pinkprincess3 HB User

Delia...thyroid does run in families...some good thyroid books you may want to read...Could it be my Thyroid? by Sheldon Rubenfeld MD...Thyroid Power by Richard Shames MD..Living with Hypothyroidism by Mary Shomon...they have info on getting a diagnosis and treatment...sometimes you can see a nodule...sometimes you need to have a thyroid ultrasound done to find a nodule...know how upsetting it is to wait...please let us know what happens!

Old 05-04-2006, 04:40 AM   #7
Senior Veteran
(female)

Delia79 HB User

Thanks for your support and help everyone. Yes, it is frustrating; frustrating for everyone to think you are crazy, to think you are a hypochondriact, to think you are lazy for being tired or out of it all the time, to think you are out of it because you have to rest after doing the most simple of tasks. I think my family and friends think I am nuts by now. They just don't get it. I am just so annoyed at the fact that the darn doctor can't have the decency to call me back to let me know what's up. Good thing I wasn't freaking out about it or anything, or I probably would've had a break down by now. You'd think that when it comes to something as important as your heart, they'd be a little more quick on the draw. I understand having other patients and other things to do, but for gosh sakes, it's been over three weeks. It makes me mad that we have to basically stalk the doctors just for answers to OUR test results! Oh well, I guess I will call AGAIN and see what the deal is. Anyway, I appreciate all the help everyone has given so far, you all are great. I will keep you up to date if I EVER find anything out. If I do, I am sure I will have yet more questions because you know doctors, they never explain anything in normal human words, it's all stuff I don't understand.

Closed Thread