It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

Thyroid Disorders Message Board
Post New Thread   Closed Thread
LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 05-03-2006, 06:40 AM   #1
(female)

SJLGI HB User
Opinions please

Hi i'm new here
Back in December I went to the doc because I felt I had a thyroid problem. My sister has Graves, my Mum is hypo and two of my aunties had there thyroids removed.
He said no it's depression, gave me anti depressants but did a TSH test just to make sure it was 2.75 range 0.4-4.5. So I thought ok and took the anti-d's.
My physical symptoms got worse - carpal tunnel and joint and leg pain - I went back he upped the dose of anti-d's and said wear splints and see a chiropractor.
I kept getting swelling in my ear canal and face, my eye is swollen and has drooped + lots of other hypo symptoms plus a swelling in my neck so I saw another doc, she took me off anti-d's redid my TSH 3.19 range 0.4-4.5 antibodies came back high (don't know the figures) had an ultrasound scan - nodule but said nothing really - saw an endo who said the antibodies aren't making me unwell and that there is nothing wrong with me jus stress.
Had tests done privately TSH 3.4 range 0.4-4, Free T3 4.5 range 3 to 6.2, Free T4 12.7 range 12 to 22.
Do you think this is a thyroid problem? Is the fact that the TSH has been creeping up indicate anything or is that kind of fluctuation normal? Does having antibodies really mean nothing?
Sorry this is so long. I'd really appreciate your comments.
Many thanks

Old 05-03-2006, 06:51 AM   #2
Senior Veteran
(female)

Lady50 HB UserLady50 HB UserLady50 HB UserLady50 HB UserLady50 HB UserLady50 HB UserLady50 HB User
Re: Opinions please

Hello, Depression a symptom of hypothyroidism. It usually developes in the early stages of hypothyroidism also.

The TSH is just a pituitary response, but the Ft4 and Ft3 are the actual thyroid hormones circulating in your bloodstream.

The Ft4 and Ft3 should be in the upper 1/3 of the range for most people to feel their best. Some people may need it a bit lower.

Your Ft4 is on the low side of the range. That is why you do not feel good and are depressed.

It would be best to find a new doctor that knows about thyroid disorders. This one obviously doesn't.

I am so sorry you are going through this, but when your thyroid levels are in the range where you feel your best, the depression will be lifted.

You may want to do some research on your own, because there are many sources that show evidence of what I have just mentioned.

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 05-03-2006, 07:07 AM   #3
Senior Veteran
(female)

midwest1 HB Usermidwest1 HB Usermidwest1 HB Usermidwest1 HB Usermidwest1 HB Usermidwest1 HB Usermidwest1 HB Usermidwest1 HB Usermidwest1 HB Usermidwest1 HB Usermidwest1 HB User

Amen to everything Lady said, plus...
Antibodies DO count! They mean your thyroid is failing, and that's why it can't make enough hormone to keep you well.

Your use of the word "mum" sounds British, as your reference to having tests done privately. Does that mean you are in the UK? From everything I've read here, it can be quite a challenge to find a doctor in the NHS who will treat you properly. Wishing you the best!

Old 05-03-2006, 07:13 AM   #4
Senior Veteran
(female)

illmakeit HB User

I agree with Lady and Midwest. Also, Carpal tunnel and joint and leg pain also go along with thyroid problems.

Old 05-03-2006, 07:48 AM   #5
(female)

SJLGI HB User

Thank you for your repies.
Yes, I am in the UK and it does seem to be very difficult not only to get treated but to get treated correctly. The ranges here are higher and even if you are over range they recomend not treating until you get to 10. So I suspect very few GP's will put there neck on line if you are in range.
I have an appointment in 2 weeks with a doc who was a gp but now has a private complementary practice. He treats thyroid and treats,if appropraite with Armour (armour isn't prescribed in the uk as far as I am aware).
I'm just hoping this new doc will sort me out.

Old 05-03-2006, 04:39 PM   #6
(female)

appleofearth HB User

hey there

if you're lucky with your GP and willing to hound him until he'll do anything to make you go away then it IS possible to get treated when you're in normal range. I haven't been able to get my frees tested on the nhs though, my GP just treats me by TSH - I go back saying I feel crappy, he tests my TSH and then when it comes back I argue with him until he agrees to a dose increase, he'd never ever ever let me drop out of the bottom of "normal" though which is why I'm going to go private as soon as I get around to making an appointment

According to the thyroiduk site you can get prescribed Armour in the UK but you need to get your chemist to order it specially or something... Good luck with your appointment!

Becky

Old 05-04-2006, 06:29 AM   #7
(female)

SJLGI HB User

Thanks for that.
I have another question or two.
I've managed to get all my lab results from my gp
I have high serum total protein - i've looked on the net and it says it's an indicator or autoimmune disease. Is anyone familiar with this? The doc said having this high level is ok.
Also the result of the antibody test was - Thyroid peroxidase antibody level 1,042u/ml, does the level matter?
Also there were abnormalities with the Full Blood Count - but the results are so complicated I can't figure it out - but does anyone know if this is related to thyroid? Again the doc says this is acceptable.
Thanks

Closed Thread