It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

Thyroid Disorders Message Board
Post New Thread   Closed Thread
LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 05-03-2006, 03:58 PM   #1
(female)

d.hall HB User
newbie pls help

Hi im new to this forum.
I have been dianosed with Hashimotos.
I have an Anti thyroglobulin ab of 190,nomal is under 60.
I have an Anti thyroid peroxidase of 3500,normal is under 60.

I have all the usual nasty symptoms,tired,moody,hairloss ,tingling,no sexdrive,but my TSH is 3.2,lab says 0.40-4.00 is normal,so dr thinks leave well alone.
However she has conceeded to me having another TSH 4 weeks after the last one and a t3 and t4,paperwork for bloods only states those not free t3 and free t4 and ive read that ineed to have frees done especially as i take the contraceptive pill.
Any hel;p would be appreciated.

Old 05-03-2006, 04:31 PM   #2
(female)

lbright HB User
Re: newbie pls help

The AACE says that the range is 0.3-3.0, so your TSH is high. Most people target for the lower end of the range. It also says that TSH and Ft4 need to be are the tests needed. Most people target for the upper third range for the free's. You can find this info on their website and I would bring it to your next doctor visit.

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 05-03-2006, 07:46 PM   #3
Senior Veteran
(female)

midwest1 HB Usermidwest1 HB Usermidwest1 HB Usermidwest1 HB Usermidwest1 HB Usermidwest1 HB Usermidwest1 HB Usermidwest1 HB Usermidwest1 HB Usermidwest1 HB Usermidwest1 HB User

Your doctor is misinformed, to say the least. You should be treated now, to avoid thyroid swelling, to relieve symptoms, and because the gland is doomed to fail anyway.

To achieve the highest TSH reading for next time, try to go first thing in the a.m. to have the blood drawn. TSH falls during the course of the day, and if yours isn't at least as high as it was, it will give Dr. Dumbo an excuse to ignore the obvious again.

Here are the pages that you should print and take with you to your next visit:
http://www.aace.com/newsroom/press/2003/index.php?r=20030118
http://www.aace.com/public/awareness/tam/2003/explanation.php

If she still won't agree to treat you, find a better doctor. (Even if she won't treat, that might not be such a bad thing. Since she is convinced you don't need it, it's practically guaranteed she will undertreat you.)

Old 05-04-2006, 12:19 AM   #4
(female)

d.hall HB User

thanks for that ,couldnt get into the links but found one titled 13 millionwith thyroid disease remain undiagnosed,is that it?.
Was i right to say i needed free t3 and free t4 done instead of the total t4 and t3.
Last question, As both anti bodies are raised does that mean im hashitoxicosis,basically graves and hashi.
Sorry about all the ? but this is all new to me.
donna

Old 05-04-2006, 03:04 PM   #5
Senior Veteran
(female)

midwest1 HB Usermidwest1 HB Usermidwest1 HB Usermidwest1 HB Usermidwest1 HB Usermidwest1 HB Usermidwest1 HB Usermidwest1 HB Usermidwest1 HB Usermidwest1 HB Usermidwest1 HB User

Quote:
thanks for that ,couldnt get into the links but found one titled 13 millionwith thyroid disease remain undiagnosed,is that it?.
Yes, that's the page. We can't hotlink here; you have to copy and paste the URLs to your browser's address window. The second page is a clarification of the first.

You are right that the free T tests are best, especially when you take estrogen.

The antibodies indicative of Graves' are the TSI. You didn't have that test, so no conclusion can be made that you have both Graves' and Hashimoto's. That combination happens, but it's very uncommon. The TPO and Tg antibodies often are present together in Hashi's. For now, I would operate under the presumption that that's what you have.

We were all new to this once. Ask any questions you need to.

Old 05-04-2006, 05:59 PM   #6
(female)

d.hall HB User

Thanks midwest,i am soo glad i found this board.
Have just come back from the dr and she has rewritten the blood request so i am now gonna have free t3 and free t4 done in a couple of weeks.I shall be there at 7 am to make she my TSH has gone up.
thanks again donna

Closed Thread