It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

Thyroid Disorders Message Board
Post New Thread   Closed Thread
LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 05-03-2006, 06:56 PM   #1
(female)

Tammyshell HB User
Hello, I'm New...... Just DX'ed Hashimotos And Have Questions.....

Hi all,
This is a nice board I wanted to say first of all. I need support and have questions about my new diagnosis.

I've been in poor health for a long time. I was finally diagnosed type II diabetes at 28. I'm 36 now. I also have GURD, depression, PTSD, Gastroparesis (complication of Diabetes, lazy stomach). I have had multiple hernias been operated on twice and I have another one now I know. I'm insulin dependant too. I'm trying to think of everything lol. I also have a constant phobia that people and doctor's will think I am a hypochondriac LOL but all of this stuff has been proven by blood tests.

I have just been diagnosed Hashimoto's by a series of blood tests my regular Doctor put me through.

I realized that something was wrong in 2000, six years ago when I was at work and I was drinking a soda. I noticed that I had a lump in my throat that was persistent and would not go away. It also dipped when I swallowed. It seemed like such a silly thing to go to my doc about, but it was really getting to be uncomfortable, and he told me that this was a sign of a goiter. I had been having my thyroid blood tests done for several years before and he always told me that I was borderline. It was always at the top but just not over the top enough to say that I was hypothyroid. But the ultrasound that they did of my thyroid confirmed a goiter with nodules And we went straight up to having a biopsy done to confirm that the adenoids were not cancerous. They weren't. And I went on Levoxyl and have been on it since.

My biggest thyroid complaint was how tired I was and how cold my feet were. I had to wear SIX pairs of socks because my feet were so cold! Much of the symptoms including the cold feet (thank God) went away and I've went on about my business for six years. All of this came about as I have gotten to the point of where I am so tired all of the time and can sleep up to 15 hours at a time. My mom told me to ask the Doc about my thyroid. I did and told him that although we had been doing the blood tests for TCH levels and they are fine that I haven't had any ultrasounds or any other testing lately. I did and the ultrasound said that my thyroid was enlarged said nothing about goiter but noted that there wasn't any nodules. Said it was "consistant with Hashimoto's Thyroiditis". So he ordered some new blood work on me. This is where I get confused. But he didn't explain the bloodwork very well just told me that my body was fighting my thyroid like it was something that wasn't supposed to be there. I'm ok with that. But I'm one of those people who is not a hypochondriac, but I OBSESS (lol to my dad who I am going to send this link to ) over my health and I want to know what this stuff means. That's where I was hoping that you guys can help me out with. I'm going to type in what all of it says.

Here's the testing information
Thyroperoxidase AB: H 4310
Reference range: 0-40

and

Thyroglobulin Tumor Marker, S H217 Units: IU/mL Expected Values: 0.0-2.3
Thyroblobulin Tumor Marker, S 1.3 Units: ng/mL Expected Values: 0.0-33

Can anyone explain what this means? I don't understand and he didn't do too well either. I think the first is the antibodies that are fighting my thyroid.

I see an Endocronologist on June 7th. I'm about to come out of my skin and waiting that long is going to kill me. Can you guys help? Can someone tell me the meaning of those readings? Every time I read something that has to do with Thyroglobulin I get Thyroid Cancer information. With the first being so high, does that mean that I might have Thyroid Cancer? Be honest. Don't sugar coat please.

And in return, if there is anything that I can do to help or support I will gladly.

Thank you for your help. If I left out anything that will help you tell more, let me know. I'm sure that I'll be checking back often LOL I'm a little high strung on stuff like this lol.

Thank you for your help,
Tammyshell

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 05-04-2006, 12:55 PM   #2
(female)

Tammyshell HB User
Cool Re: Hello, I'm New...... Just DX'ed Hashimotos And Have Questions.....

bump, in case no one has seen me!

Old 05-04-2006, 02:05 PM   #3
Senior Veteran
(female)

illmakeit HB User
Re: Hello, I'm New...... Just DX'ed Hashimotos And Have Questions.....

Hi Tammy, just saw your post - must have missed it earlier. Welcome to the thyroid board!! Sorry you are going thru all this and you are so young.

The only test I have any info about is the Thyroperoxidase AB(TPO for short)(thyroid peroxidase). It is an enzyme that helps to synthesize thyroid hormone. In 90% of patients with Hashimoto’s thyroiditis TPO levels of these antibodies will be high, and yours certainly are, so your doc is probably right with dz of hashi's. You are right, they are the antibodies attacking your thyroid. Hopefully your doc will take care of that with some meds. It is a struggle from what others who have hashi's say - and you have your share.

Wish I could help you more, maybe someone with hashi's will come along for you or someone who has had thyroid cancer and be able to tell you if that is what the other tests were for.

Take care.

Old 05-05-2006, 06:06 AM   #4
(female)

Tammyshell HB User

Quote:
Originally Posted by illmakeit
Hi Tammy, just saw your post - must have missed it earlier. Welcome to the thyroid board!! Sorry you are going thru all this and you are so young.

The only test I have any info about is the Thyroperoxidase AB(TPO for short)(thyroid peroxidase). It is an enzyme that helps to synthesize thyroid hormone. In 90% of patients with Hashimoto’s thyroiditis TPO levels of these antibodies will be high, and yours certainly are, so your doc is probably right with dz of hashi's. You are right, they are the antibodies attacking your thyroid. Hopefully your doc will take care of that with some meds. It is a struggle from what others who have hashi's say - and you have your share.

Wish I could help you more, maybe someone with hashi's will come along for you or someone who has had thyroid cancer and be able to tell you if that is what the other tests were for.

Hi I'llmakeit and thank you for the welcome and the response! This stuff trying to figure it out alone is enough to make one holler uncle! I've been on Levoxyl for six years now and it's mostly worked althought a lot of the symptoms have returned and I didn't even really realize it until I had the tests done for the Hashi's. I am hoping that an increase in Levoxyl will help the symptoms go away.

Do Hashi's patients end up having to have their thyroids out do you know? If it is somehow cancer, I would want it out, all of it. But do you know if Hashi's people just go on with meds or do we end up having to have part or all of our thyroids removed? I don't want another surgery in my life. I'm 36 and have already had five! Two C-sections, a Gallbladder removal, and two hernias. Enough already!

But thank you for talking to me I appreciate it so much. I don't have anyone to talk to about this stuff, and it is so confusing!

Thank you and take care,
Tammy

Take care.

Last edited by Tammyshell; 05-05-2006 at 06:08 AM.

Old 05-06-2006, 10:11 AM   #5
(female)

Tammyshell HB User

Bumping back up again. My, but I am a little attention seeker! LOL

Old 05-06-2006, 01:02 PM   #6
Senior Veteran
(female)

midwest1 HB Usermidwest1 HB Usermidwest1 HB Usermidwest1 HB Usermidwest1 HB Usermidwest1 HB Usermidwest1 HB Usermidwest1 HB Usermidwest1 HB Usermidwest1 HB Usermidwest1 HB User

Well... I don't know how much I can help. That's why I didn't take a stab at this earlier.
Hope you don't think we are ignoring you. It's more a matter of the "person-in-the-know" not finding you yet.

I frankly am confused about why your MD ran a TG tumor marker at this time. That test is typically done after a person has had her gland removed due to thyroid cancer. It will detect regrowth of thyroid tissue that may still contain cancer cells that will cause recurrence. It also is done pre-surgically in a thyroidectomy candidate who has had a fine needle biopsy of a nodule showing malignant cells. I really don't understand what it is your MD is looking for. This test most certainly wouldn't be done for a routine case of Hashimoto's disease.

You have said you have no nodules at this time, right? The thyroid hormone apparently did a good job of shrinking them. IMO... and I'm only a layperson who never had a hint of the possibility of cancer, much less a nodule... You have no reason to worry about cancer. Again, IMO, your doc jumped the gun by ordering a test that as far as I know only has a use in thyroid cancer patients.

Old 05-06-2006, 06:49 PM   #7
(female)

Tammyshell HB User
Talking Re: Hello, I'm New...... Just DX'ed Hashimotos And Have Questions.....

Hi Midwest!
No, I didn't think you guys were ignoring me. I figured it was just someone hadn't seen it who had had their docs do this to them yet. That's why I keep bumping myself up! I got amused with myself like I was too hyper and asking everyone "notice me!" lol. Well, it was funny to me anyway!

Thank you for your post, I couldn't understand that testing either. It confused me more because the ultrasound said that I had no nodules (even tho my thyroid is still very swollen) WHY would he run this test and of course it freaked me out thinking OMG I've got cancer. Talk about scary. I got two boys and a cat to raise.

Well, I think what I will do is continue in my self research and see the Endo Doc on the seventh of next month and go from there. I just love to talk to people on message boards who go through the same stuff I go through so I thought I would give it a try. I posted this same message on another board and got a few replies as well.

So thanks to everyone who answered and I'm still going to be reading here, so if you see this and know what's going on, post to me! Notice me!

Big hugs to all of you!

Closed Thread