It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

Thyroid Disorders Message Board
Post New Thread   Closed Thread
LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 05-04-2006, 06:24 AM   #1
(female)

Tracey110 HB User
Thank you all! Treatment started today!

Hi everyone.
I have posted on a couple of occasions and had some great advice on these boards. Being "informed" when i went to see my GP (in England) has been very helpful!
My lastest tsh was 3.3 (range 0.5 to 5.5) and T4 12.5 (range 9 to 20). My GP was waiting for antibody results before deciding whether to treat or not.
Anyway, thankfully i have a gp who has listened to me and my symptoms....because, although in England most gps are loathe to treat with tsh less than 10, my GP has now decided i am so symptomatic, he has begun treatment (with thyroxine) 50mg and said i am to see how i FEEL for next couple of weeks. He will then review how much i am taking. He says we must look at how i feel rather than test results! He wants to push my T4 to "top of the range".
Thank you all again for all your advice! Fingers crossed i will start to feel better soon!

Tracey

Old 05-04-2006, 06:43 AM   #2
Veteran
(female)

hyperkim HB User
Re: Thank you all! Treatment started today!

Tracey! I do believe your dr is a keeper!

You might try keeping a record of how you feel on the day of your labs. That way as your levels go up you will be able to see at what level you feel your best. You don't want to end up at too higha level. Just a thought.

Keep us posted on how you're doing.
Hyperkim
Fibromyalgia Dx 1/08
Chronic Fatigue Syndrome Dx 1/08

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 05-04-2006, 07:57 AM   #3
Senior Veteran
(female)

SHMILY HB UserSHMILY HB User

It is very important that your doctor test both your "free" t4 AND "free" t3 instead of just the Total t4. It is also very important for the ft3 and ft4 to be balanced, because if one is at the top of range and other is at bottom you can have symptoms. BOTH should be in the upper 1/3 of range. If your body does not convert the t4 med that you are taking to t3, then you may have to add some t3 or switch to a medication that contains both. So you see why it is important that you check both ft4 & ft3.

Old 05-04-2006, 08:12 AM   #4
(female)

SJLGI HB User

Hi
I'm in the uk too, I have TPO antibodies TSH 3.4 and FT4 at the bottom on the range. I'm told my symptoms are in my head and that I am suffering from depression. I can't get treated.
Hearing your story has given me some hope.
Hope you feel better soon.

Old 05-04-2006, 08:29 AM   #5
(female)

Tracey110 HB User

SJLGI.....dont give up! You just need to find a gp to listen! I must be honest and say that my gp has been fantastic! He has said that you have to listen to what your patient is telling you, not just read blood results to get the whole picture!

Hyperkim....thanks again for the advice...am going to keep a diary to see what happens symptoms wise!

Shimily.....again, thanks for advice. Unfortunately, it is virtually impossible to get dr's in England to test anything other than TSH and T4.....getting antibody test was tough enough!

Cheers
Tracey

Old 05-05-2006, 12:00 AM   #6
(female)

appleofearth HB User

Congrats Tracey! I hope you start feeling better soon!

Becky

Old 05-05-2006, 06:05 AM   #7
Senior Veteran
(female)

illmakeit HB User

Hi Tracey
YES! a good doc in the UK!! And not private. It is SO good to hear stories like this. I can't find the location of Hampshire where SJLGI is, however, if it is remotely close to Birmingham, she may want to give your doc a go at it.
Take care.

Closed Thread