It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

Thyroid Disorders Message Board
Post New Thread   Closed Thread
LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 05-04-2006, 07:51 AM   #1
(male)

wessman HB User
After surgery Q's

I had discovered a lump on my right side thyroid and went to the doctor. Had ctscan, ultrasound, and FNA. Finally my doc said all tests have been negative for cancer but I would recommend removal to have a proper biopsy done due to its size (2cm). So about 2 weeks ago I had a partial thyroidectomy to remove my right lobe and half of the ismuth. No cancer!!! Thank God. But my question is anyone that has undergone this surgery experienced a stange sensation in your throat when yawning at this stage after surgery? It occurs when i yawn and feels as though there is a tiny bit of phlegm down near my surgery site. But when I try to clear it there is nothing there. Could this be from the slight swelling and scar tissue pressing on my throat when I yawn? I thank god that I don't have cancer and if this is a permanent result of the surgery I will live with it. Just throwing this out there to see if anyone had any similar issues. thx sooo much.

Old 05-04-2006, 08:02 AM   #2
(female)

lfr HB User
Re: After surgery Q's

I had my thyroid removed 2 weeks ago. It still hurts when I yawn but no strane sensation. But, I just started to have this weird thing happen when I swallow. It is a weird clicking, hard to explain but happens every time I swallow uness I'm looking up. It very bothersome and uncomfortable, so I know look up every time I swallow. I have my 2 week post op visit with the surgeon this afternoon so I will ask him about it - I bet it has to do with internal swelling, which I wouldn't be surprised is what you're dealing with also. My voice is still not well also, so I know there is still swelling going on.

Do you still have pain? I still get very achy, even down into my chest area. Especially if I do too much in any given day.

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 05-04-2006, 08:52 AM   #3
(male)

wessman HB User

Hi and thx for your reply. I hope removal was not due to anything serious. No pain only very slight when I touch the actual scar area and a little numbness around the scar and a little tightness when I lean my head slightly back and swallow. No other stange noises or sensations to report.

Much luck and hopes for a quick recovery to you!

Old 05-04-2006, 09:33 AM   #4
(female)

happy2223 HB User

I have been having these exact same problems except I haven't had surgery, just an fna done 10 days ago (6 total aspirations on 3 nodules). My thyroid never hurt before and it's getting worse every day. I have an appt with the doc (general surgeon) this afternoon, so we'll see what he says.

Old 05-04-2006, 09:34 AM   #5
(female)

lfr HB User

thx Wessman -
I too had nodules that needed to be removed to be biopsied....initial pathology during surgery showed atypical cells so everything was removed - but final pathology showed no cancer!

Glad you're doing so well!

Happy2223 - good luck with your appointment.

Last edited by lfr; 05-04-2006 at 09:35 AM.

Closed Thread