It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

Thyroid Disorders Message Board
Post New Thread   Closed Thread
LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 05-04-2006, 10:30 AM   #1
(female)

lfr HB User
First endo appt. 1 1/2 wks. post surgery

Thought I would post this - as it might be helpful for someone else. I posted last week that about 5 days post tt, my legs began to cramp and I was getting muscle twitches. Dr. thought it could be calcium (I had some issues day after surgery) so I went in for blood work. Calcium was fine. I asked my gp if it could be thyroid related. Surgeon only put me on .25 mcg. Levoxyl following surgery, which seemed low compared to everyone else. My GP told me it couldn't be changing thyroid levels yet, as it was too soon, explaining to me that the thyroid stores hormones and quick changes don't happen - just gradual ones. So, once GP ruled out anything dangerous, he sent me on my way, still feeling pooey.

I was not sure where to turn, as it seems like so many people have horrible experiences trying to go see drs. I saw a name of an endo. here...one person just stated that this dr. treats symptoms, not numbers, so I figured it was worth a shot. They were wonderful! They squeezed me in the next day, dr. spent tons of time with me, he tested the blood for everything you all recommend without me asking, and immediately upped my dose to 112. mcg. without even seeing blood work results. He then called me personally the next day with the results.

TSH ( .350 - 5.50) H 17.727
Free T4 ( .89 - 1.76) L .62
Free T3 (2.30 - 4.20) L 2.04

Amazing that happened in 8 days.....as my TSH was .49 right before surgery. Endo also told me my pathology report shows I had lymphocytic thyroiditis.....which probably caused my nodules. My GP had ruled out any thyroid disorders as my TSH was normal - and it was never tested again. I have been so sick for the past 8 months, and diagnosed with possible MS, Lupus, checked for lymphoma, etc. etc. And it was thyroid all the time! Thank god I found the nodules in a round about way and ended up doing the right thing. Endo told me it was good they removed it all (they were at first only going to removed parts with nodules) as anything left would cause me to be right back where I was a few years later.

Bottom line - your numbers can go WAY OFF quickly, don't let a dr. tell you otherwise. Luckily, I had this board to guide me and I followed my instincts to find help instead of just put up with these symptoms.

So, I go back to the endo in 4 weeks and we'll talk some more when he sees how I'm feeling. Needless to say, between post surgical aches and all these darned hypo symptoms (leg pain, joint pain and constipation are the worst) life is hard now. I'm supposed to go back to work on Monday and my husband is leaving for a business trip Sunday for 6 days (I have three boys) but I supposed I'll muddle through. I'm just so excited that I finally know what's been going on and I think I found a dr. that's a keeper!

Lisa

Last edited by lfr; 05-04-2006 at 10:36 AM.

Sponsors Lightbulb

Closed Thread