It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

Thyroid Disorders Message Board
Post New Thread   Closed Thread
LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 05-04-2006, 03:13 PM   #1
(female)

MarlaP HB User
Bruising?

For the past few months I've been getting considerably more bruises than ever before, particularly on my legs where each bruise is maybe 1-2" in diameter and they're pretty much all over. The weird thing is that I can't really remember doing anything to cause them. Could this be thyroid related or maybe is it something else? Is there something I can do to prevent this?

Old 05-04-2006, 03:43 PM   #2
(female)

Keziah HB User
Re: Bruising?

Hi

Have you gone to the Doctors, I think you should go and have a blood test,

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 05-04-2006, 07:43 PM   #3
Senior Veteran
(female)

illmakeit HB User

Hi Marla,
While I agree with Keziah - you should speak to your doctor, since it very well COULD be something else, bruising is listed as a hypo symptom on a Canada site. It says the functioning of the skin depends on the general status of the body which is controlled by hormones like the thyroid.
Hair growth, as a lot of thyroid patients know, particularly depends on thyroid hormone. They also state that the actual thickness of the skin depends on thyroid function. Hypo - thinner skin Hyper thicker skin.
Hmmm..........
So if you are hypo, you are thin skinned.
If you are hyper, you are thick skinned.

Old 05-05-2006, 11:52 AM   #4
(female)

wanttofeelgood HB User

Hi,
Yes brusing is a symptom that the Mayo Clinic lists on their website for Thyroid problems. I have them alot also, I never recall bumping myself that a bruise should show up. Do you have swollen knees, anles and thighs?
breathing problems? weak and tired alot?
Isn't it the pits, I have been battling with this for 4 mos.
Laurie

Old 05-05-2006, 12:15 PM   #5
Senior Veteran
(female)

carisa HB User

I was diagnosed with hashimoto's thyroiditis and am hypothyroid. I have been bruising soo much on my legs for a few years now. I can never tell you where they come from ether. So yes, it is definitely a symptom of being hypothyroid. I have also read on many sites that it is a symptom.
Carisa

Old 05-05-2006, 12:22 PM   #6
(female)

MarlaP HB User

Well look at that! Any sites I've seen haven't mentioned bruising as a hypothyroid symptom, which is why I was curious. Guess I've got to find some better sites, hey?

Old 05-05-2006, 12:44 PM   #7
(female)

StuckInIllinois HB User

I was bruising real easy and didn't remember where most came from. Just thought it was age and maybe thin blood or just two left feet. Then when seeing new doc in January, one of the 1st things she noticed and questioned was some bruising on me. I thought she was gonna acuse someone of hurting me or something, but turns out it's a symptoms of hypo. I was really suprised and glad to find a reasons for my blacks, blues, purples and yellows. I still get some, but not nearly as much since starting to feel better.

Old 05-05-2006, 01:16 PM   #8
Senior Veteran
(female)

SHMILY HB UserSHMILY HB User

My thyroid dr. asks me every visit about bruising.............said it was a hypo symptom. And I do bruise easily.

Old 05-05-2006, 05:37 PM   #9
(female)

browneyegurl HB User

As of the last year I too am seeing way to much bruising. What's odd is that they don't look like your normal bumped into a table or ran into something type bruise. And they are in odd places like on the underside of my upper arm for instance. Never connected it to thyroid disease, but now that I know I do indeed have Hashi's and am going hypo..... that might just explain it. Interesting. (I did have have a massage therapist tell me that vitamins might help. I think she said it was vitamin C, but can't remember.)

Old 05-08-2006, 09:16 AM   #10
(female)

appleofearth HB User

Bruising was one of the symptoms that I realised was a symptom fairly late on - I do martial arts and snowboarding so I assumed I was bruising a lot because of the silly sports I choose to do, then one day it occurred to me that if I'd been bruising like this when I started my martial arts at age 12 someone at my school would probably have commented on it. So I googled bruise easily thyroid or something similar and came up with enough results to persuade me that it was probably yet another thing that my thyroid was messing with

having said that, when I'm hypo I feel clumsier, I think perhaps with me it's a combination of bruising more easily and being more inclined to do things that cause bruises like knocking myself when I'm passing a table or whatever...

Old 05-08-2006, 03:01 PM   #11
(female)

MarlaP HB User

Wait wait wait, you mean I could actually have an excuse for my all-around clumsiness? Finally! Today is a great day.

Closed Thread