It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

Thyroid Disorders Message Board
Post New Thread   Closed Thread
LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 05-04-2006, 03:34 PM   #1
(female)

robotmonkey HB User
Postpartum Hypothyroid

Hey - My doctor just put me on Synthroid after a routine physical showed a TSH of 15. My doc sent me back for additional lab work and I haven't received the results yet. My question is this... I read online that about 5-10% of women become hypoT after they deliver and that the problem usually reverses. The site I read also said that in about 20% of those women the problem is permanant. Has anyone out there gone through this? I'm assuming my is a postpartum condition? I had my daughter 9 months ago. Any thoughts would be appreciated. I'm hoping I won't have to take medication for life!

Jerri

Old 05-05-2006, 06:08 AM   #2
(female)

oday HB User
Re: Postpartum Hypothyroid

Hey!
Went thru the same thing. I started having symptoms after my daughter was born 3 years ago. Mainly hyper, followed by hypo, but not diagnosed with anyting. My son was born 18 months ago. Went severly hypo with a TSH in the 300's. My endo said if you are post partum hypo it may go away, but usually returns with the next pregnancy. Make sure you follow up with your doc.

K

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 05-05-2006, 06:15 AM   #3
Senior Veteran
(female)

midwest1 HB Usermidwest1 HB Usermidwest1 HB Usermidwest1 HB Usermidwest1 HB Usermidwest1 HB Usermidwest1 HB Usermidwest1 HB Usermidwest1 HB Usermidwest1 HB Usermidwest1 HB User

Hi Jerri...
Congratulations on the new baby!

From what I've learned about how little MDs know about hypothyroidism, "usually reverses" may be a little far too optimistic a statement. Postpartum t'itis can reverse, but for the women to whom it occurred, permanent hypoT is a high possibility sometime later in their lives.

Also, your MD may soon decide your case has resolved and take you off the replacement hormone. If your symptoms come back in full force or worse, but he then decides it's all in your head [He may even give you an antidepressant prescription or tell you to exercise and take vitamins.], you should strongly consider that he is probably wrong and that it's the hypoT that is still or again the problem.

Even if you do have to "take medication for life", at least it will -
a)help;
b) not be expensive;
c) and not have the same harmful effects that chemical concoctions that only serve to make money for the MD and the drug company have.

Taking replacement thyroid hormone is no more bother than taking a contraceptive or vitamin pill every day. You brush your teeth every day, right? Fix your hair, right? Take a shower, right? Taking a thyroid pill takes only one teensy fraction of that much time. It isn't so bad for what that little beauty does.

Old 05-05-2006, 08:13 AM   #4
Senior Veteran
(male)

Archie343 HB User

Thanks for helping keep things in perspective, Midwest.

Old 05-05-2006, 05:34 PM   #5
(female)

robotmonkey HB User

Thanks for the replies! So far it hasn't been a big deal at all. Do you guys know how long it takes for the symptoms to start going away? I've only been on Synthroid for 2 days. I'm looking forward to an entire day AWAKE instead of napping whenever my daughter does.

Thanks,
Jerri

Closed Thread