It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

Thyroid Disorders Message Board
Post New Thread   Closed Thread
LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 05-04-2006, 07:22 PM   #1
(female)

minibitch HB User
Question Help,6yr old with tsh problems

Please someone help because the docs don't seem to care.
6yr old son, born with no thyroid. On synthroid since birth but since last summer his TSH is between 15 and 20. This is too high. Doc has increased meds but every time the TSH doesn't go down. Currently on .125mcg of synthroid. Eight mths is enough of this . Anyone with any similar problems or just sugestions I would love to hear from.
Thanks Donna

Last edited by minibitch; 05-04-2006 at 07:23 PM.

Old 05-05-2006, 12:22 AM   #2
Senior Veteran
(male)

NHone HB User
Re: Help,6yr old with tsh problems

[QUOTE=minibitch]Please someone help because the docs don't seem to care.
6yr old son, born with no thyroid. On synthroid since birth but since last summer his TSH is between 15 and 20. This is too high. Doc has increased meds but every time the TSH doesn't go down. Currently on .125mcg of synthroid. Eight mths is enough of this . Anyone with any similar problems or just sugestions I would love to hear from.
Thanks Donna[/

WHy doesn't his doctor try armour? If he gives you the story about armour not being any good...slap him!

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 05-05-2006, 05:32 AM   #3
Senior Veteran
(female)

illmakeit HB User

Hi Mini, so sorry to hear about your child. It is difficult enough dealing with adults, but children don't or can't tell you how they feel. ((((((((hugs))))))))) to your family.

Cytomel may help, if your doc will prescribe it, or as finres suggested, armour. I know it is hard to get some docs to prescribe those. You may want to read this thread - her baby has thyroid problems. I'll bump it up for you.

[url]http://www.healthboards.com/boards/showthread.php?t=341923[/url]

Are you using a doc that works with CHILDREN?

Take care.

Old 05-08-2006, 07:12 PM   #4
(female)

minibitch HB User
Question Re: Help,6yr old with tsh problems

Thanks for the feed back. Could you tell me about the Armour drug, not familiar with it.

Last edited by minibitch; 05-08-2006 at 07:23 PM.

Old 05-09-2006, 05:28 AM   #5
Senior Veteran
(female)

midwest1 HB Usermidwest1 HB Usermidwest1 HB Usermidwest1 HB Usermidwest1 HB Usermidwest1 HB Usermidwest1 HB Usermidwest1 HB Usermidwest1 HB Usermidwest1 HB Usermidwest1 HB User

Armour thyroid is a thyroid hormone prescription med which is made from dried pork thyroid glands. It contains all of the thyroid hormones in a similar (but not exact) ratio to which the human gland makes them. Synthroid and most other thyroid meds contain only T4.

Armour is the original thyroid med, used since the late 1800's. It works the best for many people, but since Synthroid literally stole the market in the 1940's, MDs have largely refused to prescribe Armour. Whenever Synthroid or other T4-only med isn't working, it's always worth the exercise to try Armour.

Old 06-14-2006, 07:17 PM   #6
(female)

minibitch HB User
Question HELP,6yr old with tsh problems.

Son born without thyroid.Since August 2005 TSH has gone from 9 to 16 to 19 to 22 and is now 33. The whole time his T3 andT4 are normal! Incresed meds every couple of months, now taking 125mcg synthroid. Worried that something is going on that we are missing.Thanks to anyone who can help

Old 06-14-2006, 07:19 PM   #7
(male)

MyBowTie HB User
Re: HELP,6yr old with tsh problems.

Don't know much about babies, but in adults if you have normal T3 and T4 but crazy TSH like that its usually indicative of some sort of pituitary disorder, but that would usually be the first thing docs check for. Has he had a pituitary MRI?

Old 06-15-2006, 08:07 AM   #8
(female)

boata HB User

Have you considered adding a T3 medication such as Cytomel to the Synthroid? Or changing to armour which has both t3 and T4? Some people do not do well on synthroid which is T4 only. I am not one of the real knowledgable people on this group, but maybe this would be something to ask your doctor?

Old 06-15-2006, 08:48 AM   #9
Senior Veteran
(female)

elmhar HB Userelmhar HB User

Mom,

Make sure it's the free levels of T3 & T4 that are being checked, not total & not indexed/computed.

Sounds like his pituitary is very active in sending out signals for more thyroid hormone. I would wonder whether his coverage is adequate 24/7. I know we've all heard that the half-life of T4 meds is 1 week, yada yada, but the truth is that is an average & can vary substantially from person to person.

TSH can be higher in kids; growth needs thyroid hormone.

Is your son seeing a ped endo? If the thyroid was entirely absent, I'd want a screening of the entire HPA axis, if that hasn't been done. The glands interact in complex ways ... if there are other endocrine deficits there may be more demand for thyroid hormone.

Best wishes.

Closed Thread