It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

Thyroid Disorders Message Board
Post New Thread   Closed Thread
LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 05-04-2006, 09:30 PM   #1
Senior Veteran
(female)

ASDGRMama HB User
Weakness...thyroid or something else??

Sometimes I wonder!

You know that feeling you get when your arms or legs fall asleep and they're just starting to "wake up"? That's exactly how my limbs feel. I have never felt quite like this; I've had a lot of weakness in my shoulder and pelvic girdle (to the point of having to use a cane) but I've never felt it in my arms and legs. I feel very unsteady...and weird.

I haven't been feeling well for the last week but I can't tell if I'm in a hypo or hyper flare-up or if it's something else entirely.

I'm kind of concerned...to the point I'd like to get it checked out but I really can't afford to.

Does it sound like I'm still dwelling in the land of thyroid issues or does it sound like something else? I've been tested for Myasthenia Gravis, anemia, B12 deficiency, polymyositis and MS in the past (it was quite a while ago yet I think all but the anemia and B12 don't generally need to be repeated...not sure though).

Thanks for any thoughts on this. I've been debilitated due to Hashi's before so this isn't the worst I've felt (not by far!); so it's not awful...it's just different.

Kelly

Old 05-04-2006, 10:12 PM   #2
(female)

browneyegurl HB User
Re: Weakness...thyroid or something else??

Kelly, here are my thoughts. I went through several months last fall and winter with extreme weakness my low back. Went to my regular doctor, but he could find nothing wrong. He did check my thryoid levels (except antibodies). TSH was on the low end and my "t's" we only a little low, so he determined that was okay. I also had an exray of my back which was fine. Nothing was ever determined, but I was really concerned since I couldn't run or do anything with any speed. Felt almost like I was numb. I also was not sleeping well and often felt like I was coming out of my skin. However, it all seemed to improve then I started getting really tired and run down. That is when I got myself a new endo. He did a thorough set of labs with antibodies and pronouced that I had Hashi's.

It's my feeling that I had been in a hyper stage and am now s-l-o-w-i-n-g down. So, to make my long story short, I believe that the Hashi's is what caused my extreme weakness. I have had all of the same tests in the past that you had and they came up negative too.

Sorry that I went on so long, but I understand that weird feeling. I hope you will find that it improves soon. BTW - Do you take thyroid meds? I still take nothing.

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 05-05-2006, 09:30 AM   #3
Senior Veteran
(female)

ASDGRMama HB User

Thanks for replying! I do get a lot of weakness during hyperT flare-ups so it probably is just a variation of that....I just never know when I should go in. I start getting the "what-ifs" ...as in "what-if" it's NOT Hashi's and I get worse...Of course the financial end of things usually keeps me waiting it out.

It's so frustrating though! I have tripped over, dropped and banged into so many things the past couple of days because I feel like I'm not in control of my limbs! It takes a conscious effort to walk normally.

I do have other hyper symptoms (can't sleep, shaking on the inside feeling, tremors on the outside, gurgly belly) yet I have hypo symptoms too (constipation, absolutely NO appetite, hair fall-out, very cold most of the time, achy joints/muscles, major brain fog); and I have over-lapping symptoms (hoarseness, swollen lymph nodes and achy eyes). I'm having hot flashes also but I always get them when it's time to change my patch (I'm on ortho evra due to constant bleeding).

Yet I often wonder how I can be having these "flare-ups" without any obvious change in my vitals. Heart rate is normal, BP is normal, temp is normal (I say that meaning they're normal when I go to the dr. At home they're all low but due to the activity and nerves they elevate to normal levels while at the office). I also don't have changes in my labs based on how I feel (I've never had my FT3 tested though only Total T3 which actually fluctuates within the normal range quite a bit).

Oh forgot to mention that the weakness/numbness gets worse with activity. I wake up feeling okay but within an hour or two of getting up I start to feel poorly.

I guess that's about all .

Kelly

Old 05-08-2006, 08:52 PM   #4
Senior Veteran
(female)

ASDGRMama HB User

Yes, I am on meds. I started Synthroid a year ago. Switched to Armour after two weeks. Two months later my endo switched me to Levoxyl and lowered my dosage by 66%. I've been on Levoxyl 50 since then (Aug. of last year).

My symptoms improved slightely with treatment but I'm beginning to feel very much like I did before I started treatment.

I feel neither here nor there. I don't really want to have my labs done since I know she'll run a TSH and it'll most likely be normal or worse...low; which means at best my meds stay the same and at worst she takes me off of them altogether.

I also don't know WHICH dr to call. Do I call my PCP, endo or neuro for this? I have no idea if it's actually thyroid or something else.

I strongly feel I have peripheral neuropathies but what do I do about them? Would testing even be beneficial? What are the treatments?

I just feel like yelling! It's like having restless leg syndrome all over my body yet I don't have enough control to do anything. The more I do the more useless my hands, feet, arms and legs become.

It's like the harder I try to do something the worse it gets. I had to write out my sons words in cursive for him to copy and the handwriting is incredibly shaky...it looks like an 80 y/o person wrote it! I tried to do up my daughters buttons on her dress and it went from bad to worse . The more effort I put into something the worse the tremors are...

I'm just in need of some reassurance, suggestions, whatever...thanks for any help!!

Love, Kelly

Closed Thread