It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

Thyroid Disorders Message Board
Post New Thread   Closed Thread
LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 05-05-2006, 07:49 AM   #1
Inactive
(female)

ttc1asap HB User
How do you know you need T3?

I am wondering if I need T3 (although someone told me very few people do?).
What are the numbers to look at?
I've been on different Synthroid doses for a while. Although it's made a difference, I'm still having many hypo symptoms. My last TSH was 3.84 and the endo wanted to leave me there as "normal".
I can give you some # s if needed, but I don't know all the lab ranges.
I would also be interested in any stories re someone using T4 and T3 versus just T4, or anyone who went from Synthroid to Armour.
TIA

Old 05-05-2006, 08:20 AM   #2
Senior Veteran
(female)

scoot HB User
Re: How do you know you need T3?

i'm not sure what the signs are if you need more t3, but might i suggest your tsh - though within 'normal range' - is probably high.

i've often heard here that we should be shooting for the lower 1/3 of the tsh range. my last tsh was 2.64 and i still have hypo symptoms.

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 05-05-2006, 08:38 AM   #3
Senior Veteran
(female)

illmakeit HB User

Hi TIA,
Your TSH is too high - AACE says .3-3.0 should be the range, however, some say much lower for the high range is much better, maybe 2 or 2.5. You need a boost!!! What is your history of medication?
If you are not converting T4 to T3 very well, you might need more T4 to convert or add T3 or take a combination as Armour. You might try taking a small amount of selenium and watch your diet for foods that interfer with T4 absorption or T3 conversion.

My TSH 3/9 was 1.5 and 4/6 was 1.73. Before TT it was .397 in October. I still have hypo symptoms. I imagine you need something!!!!! I had to PUSH for an increase from 75 to 88 Levothyroixine in April. I am taking hubby with me to endo appt next week - it was mentioned that perhaps male docs treat female patients differently so I am taking no chances this time.
Take care.

Old 05-05-2006, 09:10 AM   #4
Inactive
(female)

ttc1asap HB User

What stinks is I found this endo on the AACE website (which suggests the lower TSH range) so I thought he would be cool, but he left me as "normal".
Here is my history:
Feb 05 TSH 2.83 (I was seeing an ENT for chronic sinus and throat problems, didn't know anything about thyroids then)

Sept 05 (Reproductive Endocrinologist)
TSH 6.34
2 wks later
TSH 4.99
TgAB 105 (s/b <20)
TPOab 18 (s/b <35)
FT4 "high" @ 2.1
T3 Uptake 35 "borderline high"
(sorry that's all the info)

He put me on .100mg Synthroid for 2 weeks, TSH 0.01
Then .075mg for 2 wks - TSH 0.03
Then .05mg for 2 wks - TSH 0.03 still
Then off Synthroid for 2 wks - TSH 0.22
Off another 2 wks - TSH 8.34
On .05mg for 2 weeks - TSH 3.15
On it for 2.5 months after, TSH 3.84 (this is with new AACE endo)
The AACE endo ran a ACTH test and said that was normal and 3.84 was normal.
I begged to try .075mg so he said OK, for 5 wks, then re-test.
I haven't felt well since this all started in Sept. When I was 8.34 I was almost comatose and gained weight. When I was hyper prior to that, I lost weight suddenly
and was much more dizzy and nauseated, had a really red face, oily skin and hair, and would have black outs (and almost pass out).
Sooo, I've been on the .075mg for a few weeks and will be tested near the end of May.
I've been taking a multivitamin for two months (only used to occasionally) along with Selenium, Magnesium, Zinc, Super B Complex, and Borage Oil.

Last edited by ttc1asap; 05-05-2006 at 09:13 AM.

Old 05-05-2006, 09:29 AM   #5
Senior Veteran
(female)

illmakeit HB User

Gee - is he using you as a guinea pig? They treat rats better than that! In the first place, 2 weeks is not long enough, according to most, to get a true reading of your labs on thyroid meds. It takes 4-6 wks. He IS making some $$ on lab tests and office calls.
Just noticed this : (Reproductive Endocrinologist)
Do they do things differently? I THOUGHT they were suppposed to get all your hormones like they should be so you can get pregnant.

ALSO NOTE: Be sure you are NOT taking your supplements within 4 hrs of the thyroid meds to be on the safe side.

Old 05-05-2006, 10:06 AM   #6
Inactive
(female)

ttc1asap HB User

Yeah I don't know why he was throwing different doses at me so often, but I didn't know he was goofy at the time.
I called him (RE) on the same day as the endo and he wouldn't let me try .075mg b/c he didn't want me to go hyper. They also told me I was normal @ 3.15 and 3.84 So, I don't think I'll be going back to him. Then they asked when I'd do IUI and I said when I feel better!!!
Jeesh. I think he thinks we're all cattle. Sorry, you can't just throw medication at women and they'll all be fertile/well. How does anyone with a thyroid problem get pg through him?
I've been taking my vitamins around lunchtime or late afternoon, sometimes evening if I forget. I take my Synthroid an hour before breakfast.
Where are the endos/docs that are more knowledgeable on the thyroid?

Old 05-05-2006, 10:18 AM   #7
Senior Veteran
(female)

Lady50 HB UserLady50 HB UserLady50 HB UserLady50 HB UserLady50 HB UserLady50 HB UserLady50 HB User

Does it really make sense to check the TSH, after being on thyroid medication? No, TSH will be suppressed.It can also fluctuate throughout the day.

What is the active hormone? T3(T3 is lowered in stress and dieting)

What is the storage hormone?T4

Old 05-05-2006, 01:26 PM   #8
(female)

StuckInIllinois HB User

Quote:
Originally Posted by ttc1asap
anyone who went from Synthroid to Armour.
TIA
I switched from Synthroid to Armour in Janaury. So far, it's been the best decision I have made, along with dumping quite a few doctors. It's taken time and adjustment, but feel I am getting there and much more positive about the whole situation in general. Armour or natural thyroid is not best for everyone, or some poeple do just fine on T4 alone. I am not 100% against T4, but I never felt that better on it and really almost no improvement in symptoms. Of course, I was probably undermedicated though. You need to trust your body and what it's telling you. If you have any FT3, FT4 tests available post them and some of us will take a look.

My main improvement was my coldness was gone. And from the first day. I still get cold, but I am not freezing anymore and having coffee and hot cocoa all the time. I have many more improvements such as: eyebrows are growing back, hair loss is minimal, joint/body aches gone, can see better and clearer, body heat and wear deo now, sex drive keeps improving, memory is really good again, feet don't hurt, nails growing and healthier, skin cleared up and not so dry, lump in throat not there that often, not as thirsty, more active, sleep better and so on and on. I could really go on and on, but I don't want to type all night. JK! My Ft3 was in the bottom and never improved on T4 alone and wanted to try something different, finding a doctor to help was another story. A LOT don't like to work with natual thyroid, period. As I said, everyone is different and with different symptoms in some cases.

Trust you and nobody else on how you feel. If I trusted some previos . . drs. . I still be dragging my leaded feet around, feeling pretty miserable, and making my family dislike me more by the minute. Take care.

Old 05-05-2006, 01:26 PM   #9
Inactive
(female)

ttc1asap HB User

So I need to tell the endo to check T3 uptake or ?
I think I am going to pre-screen doctors before I choose the next one who will work on my thyroid problem. Sigh...
But you know I asked this endo about getting to around 1 and he mumbled he could do 1.5.

Last edited by ttc1asap; 05-05-2006 at 01:27 PM.

Old 05-05-2006, 03:12 PM   #10
Inactive
(female)

ttc1asap HB User

I found a bunch of doctors on my insurance plan that prescribe Armour. I would love to try it if nothing else works. I don't really know if this Synthroid dose is going to magically make me feel better in a few weeks. I'm thinking I should give it til June or so. It's hard to say if Synthroid is any good for me b/c of how the RE had me all over the place, and even had to take me off for a month b/c I was so hyper. I'm kind of mad at him for handling it the way he did, now that I know better
I have all the symptoms you mentioned - the worst are being cold, tired, dizzy, nauseated. I also wonder if it's affecting my fertility. I'm getting old, too, and need to have optimal health in order to conceive. Sigh.
I never sleep well, and never feel rested even if I do sleep all night. I have weird aches and pains all the time, and my legs are always restless. Sometimes in the AM they hurt really bad and are real stiff for 10-20 minutes or so. I get the throat lump here and there and am short of breath a lot. A lot of times it feels like my shirt is choking me but there's nothing near my neck.
My short-term memory is bad and used to be real sharp, I have a lot of brain fog. I also am near-sighted (may not be related) and am super-sensitive to sunlight (I have to wear shades even if it's cloudy b/c it's too bright out and people think I'm nuts)...etc. I could go on and on too lol.
I'm glad you are feeling better. I think I will be talking to a new doctor soon and pre-screening them re their views on TSH ranges and other levels.

Last edited by moderator2; 05-06-2006 at 08:17 PM. Reason: please use the reply button - the quote was not necessary to your reply

Old 05-05-2006, 03:15 PM   #11
Senior Veteran
(male)

Archie343 HB User

It's interesting that your TSH around 3.5 is considered normal (so your endo wouldn't up your dose) while mine just came in at .33 (range .34-5.50) and my endo UPPED my dose. He said he increased it because of the thyroglobulin results, but they fall within the range and are nearer the bottom than the top.

Yeah, I'm confused, too.

Old 05-05-2006, 03:54 PM   #12
Inactive
(female)

ttc1asap HB User

Wow that's weird b/c .33 is pretty low. My TgAB was high at 105 (s/b under 20) and all I know is that antibodies are attacking the thyroglobulin protein the thyroid makes or something like that
I know that many people have these antibodies floating around but they aren't always activated
I know that my FT4 and T3 uptake were elevated which I read means there's a binding problem (I guess that might be b/c of the TgAB).

Old 05-05-2006, 03:57 PM   #13
Senior Veteran
(male)

NHone HB User

Quote:
Originally Posted by ttc1asap
So I need to tell the endo to check T3 uptake or ?
I think I am going to pre-screen doctors before I choose the next one who will work on my thyroid problem. Sigh...
But you know I asked this endo about getting to around 1 and he mumbled he could do 1.5.

He needs to check your free T3. That is actually the active part of the thyroid hormone.

Old 05-05-2006, 05:10 PM   #14
Inactive
(female)

ttc1asap HB User

I'll ask him to do that. Scary that he wouldn't know that

Old 05-05-2006, 06:48 PM   #15
Senior Veteran
(female)

Glojer HB UserGlojer HB UserGlojer HB UserGlojer HB UserGlojer HB UserGlojer HB UserGlojer HB UserGlojer HB UserGlojer HB UserGlojer HB UserGlojer HB User

Just a quick suggestion. I am hypothyroid and worked for a couple years to get my tsh and ft's in a good range. I have a friend though who could not get in the right range, she was either hypo on the .055mcg of synthroid and hyper on the .075mcg. Her DO put her on one .055mcg and then prescribed .025mcg and had her cut it in half. It worked out perfectly, she has been doing great on that dose. It really takes having a doc to work with you.

Glojer

Closed Thread