It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

Thyroid Disorders Message Board
Post New Thread   Closed Thread
LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 05-05-2006, 08:20 PM   #1
Senior Veteran
(female)

carisa HB User
heart problems hypo

Hello everyone,

I'm a little worried about heart problems due to being hypothyroid. I have hashimoto's thyroiditis and am currently hypothyroid. Last my TSH was checked it was around 7.5. Can a person develop heart problems from being hypo? Is it something that only happens once levels get extremely high, like beyond 100? I am probably being paranoid, but just thought I'd ask. My blood pressure has also been very low (88 over 50ish). Any input would be appreciated. Thank you!

Carisa

Old 05-05-2006, 11:17 PM   #2
Senior Veteran
(female)

scoot HB User
Re: heart problems hypo

i believe that you have to be hypo and untreated for a really long time before serious heart problems occur.

my tsh was higher than yours, and i'm sure i was undiagnosed for at least a year. i had my share of palpitations/tachycardia, but nothing along the lines of heart enlargement or anything like that.

i had an ekg and ultrasound done just to be sure everything was ok (they were questioning mitral valve prolapse, which came back negative).

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 05-06-2006, 04:57 AM   #3
Senior Veteran
(female)

illmakeit HB User

Carisa, I'm concerned also. I don't have hashi's, however, I am a little hypo right now and want to make sure I do what I can so I DON'T have any heart or adrenal problems.

Scoot - I will be on these meds the rest of my life and figure I will have some mild hypo symptoms forever - even tho I am trying not to. I figure I should live to be in my 90's - parents 88 & 84. Mom still in excellent health.

What heart problems should we be on the lookout for? mitral valve prolapse?
What would the symptoms be?
Are there tests we should have "just in case"?

Same ?? for Adrenals.
Anyone with knowledge or experience of these complications?
Thanks in advance for any comments.

Old 05-06-2006, 05:03 AM   #4
(female)

charte HB User

Please be careful using the acne medications. I also have very low blood pressure, but after touching my sons Triaz pads, I would up in the emergency room with a heart rate of 240 beats per minute. I called the drug company and this has happened before. I believe alot of these medications that are given for acne have severe side effects that a lot of people don't put together.

Old 05-06-2006, 08:20 AM   #5
Senior Veteran
(female)

carisa HB User

Thanks guys for you response. That puts my mind at ease a little. I asked because my parents have an at home heart/blood pressure monitor that my dad uses to monitor his high blood pressure. I checked mine lastnight and it kept showing me that I have an irregular heart beat. I thought that was strange because my dr.s have never picked up on that before. Now I'm thinking maybe it is just because it is an at home device and may not be too reliable. I will still ask my dr. about it next time I see her. Maybe my low blood pressure was throwing it off a bit.

Carisa

Old 05-06-2006, 08:23 AM   #6
Senior Veteran
(female)

carisa HB User

That's crazy about the acne medication. I have never heard that before. It must be something that is pretty rare and you were one of the lucky ones?

Old 05-06-2006, 09:54 AM   #7
Veteran
(male)

adamace1 HB User

Hello. I was hypo for around 3-4 years before i found out, my tsh was >160 and i have an enlarged heart. No problems with skipping beats or pounding, echo, and ekg's are always ok, just enlarged. I'm 26 years old.

Last edited by adamace1; 05-06-2006 at 09:54 AM.

Old 05-06-2006, 04:45 PM   #8
Senior Veteran
(female)

carisa HB User

Wow, an enlarged heart. I think it's crazy that they say being hypo is no big deal, yet it can have some serious things attached such as heart problems, cholesterol problems, etc. I think I'm probably ok being that I don't think I have been hypo for more than a year or two before being diagnosed. I am 28 yrs. old and was just diagnosed a few weeks ago.

Carisa

Old 05-06-2006, 06:53 PM   #9
Veteran
(male)

adamace1 HB User

Quote:
Originally Posted by carisa
Wow, an enlarged heart. I think it's crazy that they say being hypo is no big deal, yet it can have some serious things attached such as heart problems, cholesterol problems, etc. I think I'm probably ok being that I don't think I have been hypo for more than a year or two before being diagnosed. I am 28 yrs. old and was just diagnosed a few weeks ago.

Carisa
Who said it's no big deal? I'd like them to tell me that to my face. I could have died. God only know's the damage it has done to my body. Sometimes i would go to sleep and not wake up for 20-25 hours, Sometime while working outside in the cold i felt like i was falling asleep, i was soooo cold and tired, I'm sure that if i did pass out in the winter outside i would have slipped into a coma and died. I know i'm not the normal case, but still.

Old 05-06-2006, 08:35 PM   #10
Senior Veteran
(female)

carisa HB User

Thank God you finally got diagnosed. Are you one of those guys that avoids drs? LOL
My husband is. Actually, my dr. is the one that told me it is no big deal and nothing to worry about. I don't agree with her at all. I have heard too many horror stories from people with hypothyroidism. Just the fact that it has made me so tired makes it a big problem for me. I hate it. Oh, and the fact that it has affected my fertility makes it a big deal for me. I have been feeling better lately since starting my medication a month ago. I still don't feel like I did a few years ago though. I'm still waiting to feel that good again.

Carisa

Old 05-07-2006, 04:02 PM   #11
(female)

confused725 HB User

Hi all,

As for Mitral valve symptoms, with me, I had panick attacks & then one day felt chest pain. i would get palpitations often & went to the dr for this. Strangely, Dr's always listen to your heart but this time he said he heard a "click".
said i have MVP & told me MANy woman have it & will never even know it.
Being a nuerotic I found me a cardiologist & he says it Usually is nothing to worry about and that the symptoms are more bothersum than anything but he still does an echo every year to check the valve.

I'm sure an echocardiogram will rule it out 100% if a Dr doesnt hear it by stethascope.

MVP for the most part is not an ordinary High heart alert but there are minimal severities as with anything depending on how affected the valve is.

Illmakeit- heres a good site if it helps.[url]http://www.nursing.wright.edu/practice/mvp/default.htm[/url]

Carrisa- Speak to your dr. about the low B/P. do you feel dizzy or whoozy when standing. I think I wrote to you before on this....I had a few weird low reading too & spoke to a few different dr's regarding it. if its any consulation, my cardiolgist says It doesnt matter what`the #'s read as far as low B/P as long as you are not getting dizzy. if you feel fine, its probably nothing to concern yourself with. Still, i woried & then he told me to put the home monitor in the attic & now I feel better.
Still, double check w/ your dr. (ts as easy as a phone call to his office)......if you're like me, you wanna hear it from the horses mouth.

Rachel

Old 05-07-2006, 08:47 PM   #12
Senior Veteran
(female)

carisa HB User

I'm very much like you. Hearing it straight from the dr. would be great. I am going to either call tomorrow morning to talk to the dr. or just make an appointment. As far as being dizzy, i usually do not feel dizzy. Every once in awhile I will have a sudden onset of a "dizzy spell" that lasts for only a few seconds. That only happens once every few weeks or so. My parents have a home monitor and I go over there every once in awhile to check it out. It has gone up from 88/50 to about 99/60ish, which is still low, but at least I am seeing an improvement. I have been on synthroid for a month now.

Carisa

Old 05-08-2006, 06:16 AM   #13
Senior Veteran
(female)

illmakeit HB User

carisa-Let us know what the doc says. My bp is lowish - hardly ever over 100 - usually 95/55 or so. My dad is WAY under that and docs don't seem to be concerned - course he has a pacemaker and defibulator........

adamace1-glad you made it through all those problems........scary!!

Rachael-Thanks for the info - checked it out and am adding to my list of things to watch for.

Scoot-glad yours came back negative!

Everyone take care.

Last edited by illmakeit; 05-08-2006 at 06:18 AM.

Closed Thread