It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

Thyroid Disorders Message Board
Post New Thread   Closed Thread
LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 05-06-2006, 01:36 PM   #1
(male)

popsandfriends HB User
Upcoming decisions

Hello,
About a year ago, i was suffering from really bad anxiety. I had brain fog, got tired very easily, and was nervous 24/7. After i sought help from a therapist, things died down and my anxiety vanished during last summer. I felt better, could run without getting tired, do things i loved, could stand up and not feel dizzy or feel laggy all the time. As of late, my anxiety, nervousness (jumpy at everything, such as turning corners) and other quirks have returned. For the past 3 years ive weighed 125, im 17 now. I was to gain weight, and I was reading an article on Hyperthyroidism, I have most of those symptoms (even the heart fluttering and mild shortness of breath). I also read that Lemon Balm, motherwort, and anther natural herb was a good way to put thyroid levels back where they should be, and there would also be added weight because of the slowed metabolism. Is this true? My folks wont get the Lemon Balm for me, they tell me im just finding things wrong and overreacting, but after a year? come on, i know my own body.... Please if you reply, respect my decision not to see a doctor, and to rely purely on homeopathic remedies, or see viksit homeopath doctors. I believe natural things can work just as good as a doctors pills can Keeping in mind what i believe to have as symptoms:
Palpitations (mild flutters in my case)
Heat intolerance(only when in the shower)
Nervousness
Insomnia(once in a while, i have a restless night)
Breathlessness (accompained briefly and mildly by flutter)
Increased bowel movements
Fatigue
Fast heart rate
Weight loss (not my 125lb build)
Muscle weakness
Hair loss (mild)
Staring gaze

Please assit me in making a decision to get the lemon balm, or maybe find other natural remedies.

Thanks a lot!

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 05-07-2006, 08:50 AM   #2
Senior Veteran
(female)

NikkiNak HB User
Re: Upcoming decisions

Hello-

I just wanted to pop in and say your symptoms do sound alot like hyperthyroidism but it would be hard to say without your levels checked. I don't know much about homeopathic methods but it couldn't hurt to see a homeopathic dr. They would be the ones to get you on the right path in figuring out what is going on with your body and if you really feel strongly that hyperT is whats going on than I would say follow your instincts. Good luck to you.

Nikki

Old 05-08-2006, 09:31 AM   #3
(female)

appleofearth HB User

Hello!

I'd recommend going to a doctor (homeopathic or normal) and getting your blood tested to see if they can tell you what the problem is - if it IS hyperthyroidism and you don't treat it it can cause lots of badness - osteoperosis is the main one it can cause I think - no fun. Read the information thread on here. Regardless of how you choose treat it, you need to know what's wrong before you try to fix it.

I'm hypothyroid, not hyper so I'm not sure if it's exactly the same, but with hypo there are a lot of conditions that give similar symptoms.

Good luck!
Becky

Old 05-08-2006, 10:25 AM   #4
Veteran
(female)

hyperkim HB User

I have had all the symptoms you mentioned at one time or another in my life. And I agree with you on the dr viewpoint also. It may not be what you want to hear...But......

I agree with Nikki and Becky that you need to have your levels checked. Plus, its not recommended to self treat a thyroid disorder. Sometimes the symptoms can cross over. I had alot of hypo symptoms and my labs showed hyperthyroidism. As I have treated the hyperT with alternatives, my original symptoms have improved. I would have been in worse shape trying to self treat my hypothyroid symptoms before going to the dr. So you wanting to "go it alone" concerns me.

I would at least consult with a homeopathic dr, osteopathic dr, or a naturopathic dr. All of these types of drs lean more towards alternative therapies.

There are alternatives to drugs for hyperT. As I stated above, I am having success treating my hyperT with alternatives. But there are also dietary and lifestyle changes that you can make to improve your symptoms. If you stop and think about it they are basically common sense healthy living that has been preached for years.

Eat more whole healthy foods. Stay away from preservatives, caffeine, refined sugar. (That includes basically anything in a box.) Artificial sweetners are not good either. Limit your dairy and iodine intake. Take a good multi-vitiamin (one without iron or iodine if possible). That way you can be sure your body is getting the basics. All of these things effect thyroid health. And your overall health in general.

Iodine is particularly noted because the body uses it to make thyroid hormone. Iodine is in alot of stuff including dairy products (especially cow's milk), iodized salt, seafood and kelp. Fast food is particularly high in iodine. The recommeded daily intake is 150mg. The typical American diet contains WAY more iodine than that daily.

And, of course, control your stress levels, get regular exercise, etc. etc. etc. Making these type changes can make a world of difference.

You have to take control of your own health. And that does not necessarily mean ignoring drs completely. Having said that I do not advocate you disrespecting your parents. If you have to, do what you can until you are of legal age. Or whenever you can afford to take yourself to a dr. But for the best results you will eventually need to learn to work with a dr. It may require dr hopping for a while til you find one you see eye to eye with. Several people here have fired so many drs that I've lost count.

I won't tell you here what alternatives I am using to control my thyroid levels. As my levels dropped drastically at one point. (And no, I do not use Lemon Balm, Motherwart, or Bugleweed.) The things I do have a significant effect on thyroid levels. Thyroid hormones are some of the major hormones helping to maintain the body. You do not need to aggressively mess with ANY of your hormones without being montinored by a qualified dr. And I mean qualified. Not all drs are created equally. (This fact you do seem to already understand.) You could research for a dr you would be comfortable going to. (And you might even convince your parents to let you get checked out before you turn 18. Just a thought!)

Please note that I am seeing a homeopthic md that is helping me monitor my alternative treatments. And I am currently prescription drug free. And my levels have come down to within range.

Hope that helps some. Best wishes on your quest,
Hyperkim

PS. Sorry if I came across too strong. I am concerned for you because it can be very dangerous to "self-treat" a thyroid problem. Which it does sound like you may have. But of course there is no way to know for sure without proper lab work. Be careful.
Fibromyalgia Dx 1/08
Chronic Fatigue Syndrome Dx 1/08

Last edited by hyperkim; 05-08-2006 at 10:27 AM.

Closed Thread