It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

Thyroid Disorders Message Board
Post New Thread   Closed Thread
LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 05-06-2006, 06:12 PM   #1
(female)

ebon_aurora HB User
If its not my thyroid then what is it? I'm reaching my breaking point. :(

I'm losing all patience. I've had my thyroid checked twice and they came back normal. I don't think they did a full thyroid panel the second time around. But I've been feeling bad for so long. The hair on my head seemed to have stopped shedding until it started back up again today. But one of my main concerns is I keep losing my pubic hair. I'll lose over 30 in a day. And I noticed on the ones that come out that half of them are a different color and texture. The hair from the root is lighter and coarser and at the end it's much darker and softer. I had to see my doctor again yesterday for a huge ulcer that I have in my throat. And I've just been feeling worse in general. She took one look at it and without swabbing my throat or anything said I needed antibiotics... I told her about my pubic hair and she just kind of smiled at me as if she thought this was funny and then told me that pubic hair loss usually doesn't mean anything. I've also noticed that when the hair on my head comes out its as if its not coming out of the root. Instead it seems to break off right at the root. Could that mean anything? I'm hitting a bottom here. I'm getting so depressed because I just don't know what could be wrong with me. I'm just so afraid that I'll have to go near bald before anyone will believe me. :'( Any insight would be appreciated.

Last edited by ebon_aurora; 05-06-2006 at 06:31 PM.

Old 05-06-2006, 06:41 PM   #2
Senior Veteran
(female)

K9Mom HB User
Re: If its not my thyroid then what is it?

If I were you I would request copies of the lab reports. See for yourself which lab tests were run and where within the normal range your blood tested. (The normal ranges are listed on the lab report)

Have you tried doing a google search for "pubic hair loss" to see what comes up? I did and there are several possibilities.

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 05-06-2006, 06:54 PM   #3
(female)

ebon_aurora HB User

I have done a search and the only things I can really find are related to addison's disease and menopause. I don't think it's menopause because I'm only 20 years old...

Old 05-06-2006, 07:04 PM   #4
(female)

Tammyshell HB User

What about Alopecia something or other. I think it's related to auto immune(?) disease?

Old 05-06-2006, 07:09 PM   #5
(female)

ebon_aurora HB User

I've been tested for autoimmune diseases too. Nothing.

Old 05-07-2006, 08:41 AM   #6
Senior Veteran
(female)

midwest1 HB Usermidwest1 HB Usermidwest1 HB Usermidwest1 HB Usermidwest1 HB Usermidwest1 HB Usermidwest1 HB Usermidwest1 HB Usermidwest1 HB Usermidwest1 HB Usermidwest1 HB User

If you can post your thyroid results, someone here will be able to shed light on whether they really are "ok".

Hair that breaks off as it grows out through the scalp is the way hair deprived of enough thyroid hormone breaks. If you don't see that little white "bulb" on the scalp end of the hair, something is interrupting the growth of that hair; it isn't "shedding" as such.

If I may say... I think your problem might be that you are emphasizing the wrong symptom to your MD too much. When a doctor considers a symptom to be mainly cosmetic, they aren't going to dig too hard to find out what it is. If you have a good deal of fatigue, or muscle pain that's significant... Those would be better symptoms to emphasize. (Mind you, I am not saying hair loss is only cosmetic; I'm like anyone else, and would find it devastating to lose a lot. I just want you to see it from the medical perspective.)

Old 05-07-2006, 02:55 PM   #7
(female)

ebon_aurora HB User

Thanks, Midwest. I appreciate the info. I'll see about getting those numbers.

Closed Thread