It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

Thyroid Disorders Message Board
Post New Thread   Closed Thread
LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 05-07-2006, 01:24 PM   #1
(female)

jjwdean HB User
Synthroid & Weight

I have been having thyroid problems... some of the things I've experienced include weight gain. I eat well and run every morning but have gained about 15 pounds in the last year or so. Anyway, I was thinking about going on Synthroid and was wondering if this might help with this. Also, what are some dos/don'ts of takin Synthroid? Thanks for any input!

Old 05-07-2006, 02:32 PM   #2
Senior Veteran
(female)

scoot HB User
Re: Synthroid & Weight

are you taking anything for your thyroid now?

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 05-07-2006, 06:25 PM   #3
(female)

jjwdean HB User

Quote:
Originally Posted by scoot
are you taking anything for your thyroid now?
No... as of now I am not taking anything.

Old 05-07-2006, 08:04 PM   #4
(female)

kwitter HB User

I take synthroid and have experienced NO side effects, that I know of. I do however find it easier to lose weight with exercise (alot easier than before). Before I could exercise or diet or heck starve my self and still GAIN weight. I have noticed also that my mood has changed as well. I also have my hormones regulated so with the combination of the 2, my depression is gone!!!! No more anti-depressants - YAY!!!!

Now, when I choose to watch my weight, it works. I love my food though, but before it was NO LOSIN' any weight no matter what.

I am now working on my daughter (13 years old) who has a thyroid disorder as well. They will not med her until they re-test her in 3 months, due to puberty and all. But dang it she's gained soooo much weight, so lazy, depressed, tired, puffy eyes, just so many thing, and yes they could all be attributed to puberty, but her test show she's got a thyroid disorder.....oh well 3 more months shouldn't hurt too bad. Heck some of us go for a very long time before we are diagnosed.

Old 05-08-2006, 05:06 AM   #5
Senior Veteran
(male)

Archie343 HB User

Prescribing Synthroid for weight loss is verboten. There are very strong statements in the info sheet that comes with it--use of Synthroid for weight control can lead to serious side effects.

If it's the proper treatment for your thyroid disorder and it helps you lose weight, that's fine.

Old 05-08-2006, 05:26 AM   #6
(male)

kmapro HB User

I have to agree with Archie.

I am on synthroid and have been for over 15 years now....but, I had my thyroid removed.

Old 05-08-2006, 06:24 AM   #7
Inactive
(female)

sudufu HB User

Have to agree with the guys. Turning yourself HYPERthyroid would not be fun either, VERY hard on the body matter fact.

Did you have labwork done?

Synthroid isn't a wonder drug - Some of us even had NASTY side-effects from SYN and/or drug interactions with other perscriptions.

Last edited by sudufu; 05-08-2006 at 06:25 AM.

Old 05-08-2006, 06:30 AM   #8
Senior Veteran
(female)

illmakeit HB User

Archie is absolutely right - my doc didn't even want to give me an increase with my symptoms since "people use this for weight loss, you know" and my labs were "normal" but on the low side for T3 & FT4 ( I have no thyroid).

Have you had labs, and if so, what are they (include the ranges)? If not, get the tests and post them here. What problems are you having with your thyroid?

Synthroid, if you don't need it, can cause you to go hyper - and the hyper people will tell you that you DO NOT want to go there! Also, can cause heart problems and other problems with your body.

Old 05-08-2006, 01:30 PM   #9
Senior Veteran
(female)

Reece HB UserReece HB UserReece HB UserReece HB UserReece HB UserReece HB UserReece HB UserReece HB UserReece HB UserReece HB UserReece HB User

To be honest, I've known several hyperthyroid people (too much hormone) who were overweight and had a hard time losing weight. I don't believe the hormone will help you lose weight....I think if you do need it, and then take synthroid, it might help regulate your metabolism to where it has always been (before thyroid problems). But it won't necessarily make you skinny.....

Old 05-08-2006, 04:54 PM   #10
(female)

jjwdean HB User

Of course I didn't mean for strictly weight loss. I was curious as to whether or not it would help with that along with other things. I have not had lab work but my doctor tells me that with some of the things I'm experiencing that there could be thyroid issues. Along with weight gain I've experienced 'puffiness', cold/heat intolerance, depression, cold hands and feet, muscle and joint pain, dry hair, and all of those kinds of wonderful symptoms. I suppose it could be something else but most of these symptoms are related to hypothyroidism.

I'm 18 and I don't know if this could be something else. Right now I just really want to find a solution because it's really damaging my self esteem and confidence!

Old 05-08-2006, 05:38 PM   #11
Senior Veteran
(female)

scoot HB User

has your doc taken your bloodwork yet? i'm surprised to hear he suggested you may have a thyroid problem and didnt get your blood tested - unless maybe he referred you to an endocrinologist? you should get your tsh, free t3 and free t4 checked.

like you said, your symptoms sound you could be hypo. if so, you should get on replacement meds like synthroid. i think its nearly impossible to lose weight if your body isnt getting enough thyroid hormones, and it should be easier to lose weight once you get regulated.

besides the weight issue, its really very serious long term if your body isnt producing enough thyroid hormones. it can lead to all sorts of problems, as you probably know.

Old 05-08-2006, 07:33 PM   #12
(female)

MarlaP HB User

I think it's strange that my endo. said I was "too young" (I'm 22) to have thyroid problems, as it's typically associated with older people, but it seems like there's such a wide range of people on this board with problems I don't understand how she could make such a generalization. Luckily she did blood tests anyway and was proven wrong....

Old 05-09-2006, 05:51 AM   #13
(female)

jjwdean HB User

Quote:
Originally Posted by scoot
has your doc taken your bloodwork yet? i'm surprised to hear he suggested you may have a thyroid problem and didnt get your blood tested - unless maybe he referred you to an endocrinologist? you should get your tsh, free t3 and free t4 checked.

like you said, your symptoms sound you could be hypo. if so, you should get on replacement meds like synthroid. i think its nearly impossible to lose weight if your body isnt getting enough thyroid hormones, and it should be easier to lose weight once you get regulated.

besides the weight issue, its really very serious long term if your body isnt producing enough thyroid hormones. it can lead to all sorts of problems, as you probably know.
I have had bloodwork done recently but I had no idea what for, which sounds stupid, but I was told to get it, I got it, and heard that everything was "normal." I never saw any results... and I have no clue what type of blood test it was. I think it was just checking for anemia and nutritional type things, but I have no clue, which makes me sound and feel very stupid.

Old 05-09-2006, 03:41 PM   #14
Senior Veteran
(female)

scoot HB User

marlaP - i had a hyperactive thyroid when i was 10 years old. you're never too young to have thyroid problems. i dont know why your doc said that. i believe even infants can be born with thyroid problems.

jjwdean - its not easy but it sounds like you need to be more proactive with your health situation. seems like its difficult getting straight answers from doctors, speaking from personal experience and what i've heard from others on this board, but you've got to be inquiring and persistent with your doctor/s to find out whats going on with you.

do your research, read the posts here, find another doc if your current one isnt DOING HIS/HER JOB.

and very important -always get copies of your labwork. its your personal right, and its the best way to keep track of what labwork has been done - and you can see for yourself if any numbers look abnormal. get copies directly from your lab or your doctor. whatever is easier.

be persistent! if you've got a thyroid problem and you go untreated it will only get worse. if its not a thyroid problem, you still should find out why you're having these symptoms.

take care

Closed Thread