It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

Thyroid Disorders Message Board
Post New Thread   Closed Thread
LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 05-08-2006, 01:17 PM   #1
(female)

4fabfelines HB User
Just had surgery, cannot sleep

4garamond
Hi new to this forum and new to the thyroid thing.
I have felt crappy for around 7-9 years after haivng my child, swelling of feet and low energy and finally a doctor found nodules. The have been monitering for 7 years and nodules grew so they decided to do surgery. I am glad becasue i have felt so bad. All my darn blood work would always come back "within normal ranges". Yeah right then why am i feeling like death eating a cracker?
the questions have are:
Post operative, i cannot sleep incision is bothering me and i am so tired but cannot get rested because of the tightness and muscle spasms.
Also: how many of you had the surgery and started losing weight , swelling and starting to feel like a real person insead of a invalid costantly? the swelling and tireness made me feel 2x's my age.
thanks for any help.

Old 05-08-2006, 01:22 PM   #2
Senior Veteran
(female)

Reece HB UserReece HB UserReece HB UserReece HB UserReece HB UserReece HB UserReece HB UserReece HB UserReece HB UserReece HB UserReece HB User
Re: Just had surgery, cannot sleep

I had surgery for thyroid nodules/cancer---not for hashis---so I can't give you any comparisons since I felt fine before surgery. Did your doctor give you percocet or any pain killers? That might help you sleep. I didn't really have much pain, but the first two nights I took tylenol pm to help me sleep.

Hope you feel better soon.

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 05-08-2006, 03:24 PM   #3
(female)

MATYA HB User

I had a total thyroidectomy for a very large substernal goiter, so my progress may be a little different. I am still having tightness in my throat and neck area and the incision is still painful and lumpty (bad scar) since my surgery Dec 2005. I tried sleeping on 3 pillows and still do to keep my neck raised. I was allergic to all the major pain medicines and antibiotics, so I ended up just using over the counter tylenol and currently use motrin. Pray things work out for you.

Old 05-08-2006, 05:23 PM   #4
(female)

lfr HB User

I had my surgery 2 1/2 weeks ago and had major insomnia following the surgery..... I still have some problems sleeping but it's gotten much better. I tried the pain pills, hoping they would also zonk me out and it didn't work - so I asked the dr. for a sleeping pill.....something I've never taken before - but boy I needed it. The sleeping seems to be getting a bit better each day for me. Good luck and hope you can get some rest.

Lisa

Old 05-09-2006, 06:25 AM   #5
(female)

4fabfelines HB User
actually slept pretty good last night

hi thanks actually slept pretty good last night,, thanks for the advice... No not on any pain meds, they wired me up. So i just take a tylonol when needed..

Old 05-09-2006, 09:14 PM   #6
(female)

MatthewsMom HB User

Hi,

I went through the surgery a few months ago. My concern is that you are talking about muscles spasms...are you taking sufficient calcium?

Take care,
MatthewsMom

Closed Thread