It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

Thyroid Disorders Message Board
Post New Thread   Closed Thread
LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 05-08-2006, 05:13 PM   #1
(female)

copesherry HB User
Having thyroid uptake this week...

Hi all!
I went to the doctor today to go over my results-my TSH is low, my T-4 is a "little low", T-3 normal range. He said we may have to do a "scan of the brain"? But first I have to have a thyroid uptake scan done on Wed. and Thur. What is the procedure like? He said he thinks Graves but could possibly be my pituitary. If so, he will be sending me to an endocrinologist. I'm a little worried after researching pituitary problems. Anyone had similar experience? Please

Thanks, Sherry

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 05-09-2006, 06:40 AM   #2
Senior Veteran
(female)

midwest1 HB Usermidwest1 HB Usermidwest1 HB Usermidwest1 HB Usermidwest1 HB Usermidwest1 HB Usermidwest1 HB Usermidwest1 HB Usermidwest1 HB Usermidwest1 HB Usermidwest1 HB User
Re: Having thyroid uptake this week...

I haven't had the experience, but maybe I can help.

The thyroid uptake scan is a painless procedure. I haven't had one, but I know that on day 1 of the test, you take a pill containing radioiodine tracer. On day 2, an exam that's sort of like an ultrasound of the neck is done. The iodine absorbs into the thyroid gland, and instrument "reads" the pattern of absorption. A diagnosis can be made depending on where the iodine ends up.

Pituitary hypothyroidism is rather uncommon. The pituitary is supposed to produce TSH which tells the thyroid gland to go into action making its hormone; if the pituitary isn't doing that, hypoT results. Many times, a small benign tumor is the reason the pituitary stops making TSH. The treatment for it varies. If surgery is needed, it is most often performed via the nose, making full-fledged brain surgery unnecessary.

But don't get ahead of yourself worrying yet. Your doctor sounds as if he's being quite diligent and thorough. That's half the battle.
Let us know what happens.

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 05-11-2006, 02:53 PM   #3
(female)

copesherry HB User

Thank you for your reply! I haven't been on in a couple days, but went today for the actual scan. It was so painless, I fell asleep on the table while the pics were being taken. The doctor said something about hot and cold spots? What does he mean by that? Also -initially he was doing tests for inflamation because of the horrible pain in my legs. Those test came back without any sign of inflamation. He said that puzzled him because he is so sure that it's Graves or hyperactive thyroid. Is there normally inflamation associated with these problems? I'm not too worried about the pituitary-as long as it's treatable, I just want to get a correct diagnosis instead of just treating symptoms of something bigger. I personally think having LOW blood pressure 80/50, in addition to taking Toprol for the past year has caused pain in my legs. My B-12 is 219 (on the low side but above normal range) So I don't think it's that. I had a cat scan in late Feb. could the rad. iodine they gave me through the IV have caused my thyroid to start acting up? Anyone have any thoughts?
Thanks a bunch! Sherry (PS I get my results tomorrow on uptake scan)

Old 05-11-2006, 03:04 PM   #4
Senior Veteran
(female)

Reece HB UserReece HB UserReece HB UserReece HB UserReece HB UserReece HB UserReece HB UserReece HB UserReece HB UserReece HB UserReece HB User

Sherry,

Good luck with your results. "Hot spots" and "cold spots" could possibly be related to nodules on the thyroid---those taking up iodine could be "hot" and those not, could be "cold".

In terms of pains in the legs, although thyroid disease can cause lots of aches and pains in legs and joints, I will also tell you that my father in law is on toprol, and he limps from the pains in his legs from it.

Old 05-11-2006, 03:40 PM   #5
(female)

copesherry HB User

Hi Reece I know the pain in my legs have progressively gotten worse over the past year (appx. the time I began using Toprol) Has your father-in-law thought about stopping it-using something different? I won't even tell my Dr. that the racing/pounding heart has started bothering me again, because I don't want him to increase the dosage again. He keeps saying it's not the Toprol, but I wonder. What does your father-in-law's Dr. say about him?

Old 05-11-2006, 04:34 PM   #6
Senior Veteran
(female)

Reece HB UserReece HB UserReece HB UserReece HB UserReece HB UserReece HB UserReece HB UserReece HB UserReece HB UserReece HB UserReece HB User

You know men---they don't complain and do whatever the doc. says. My father in law says he told the doctor, but the doc. said it's a good medicine, and stick with it, despite the terrible leg pain.(he's got serious heart issues though) My father is also on toprol, and it affects his voice--(a known side effect)----his doctor also told him to stick with it, so he does. Meantime, there are several blood pressure meds on the market, they might not have the same side effects, and they should both switch, but they don't.

Old 05-11-2006, 05:15 PM   #7
(female)

copesherry HB User

I hope maybe they'll both come around and maybe try something else. I think I will, but I think if it is my thyroid, maybe that medicine will fix the heart thing and I can go off the Toprol. I feel like I've aged twenty years in the past year. It's crazy-I'm only 35! Well anyway-We'll know more tomorrow I guess. Thank you for the helpful info!

Old 05-14-2006, 12:23 PM   #8
(female)

copesherry HB User

Well I picked up my results Friday and am to talk to Dr. tomorrow, what do you guys think?
"Normal Thyroid Uptake of 24%"
"Focal increased activity at mid to inferior aspect of right lobe that is consistant with an adenoma".

Does the normal thyroid uptake discount the Graves my Dr. thought it would be? (TSH low/ T-4 Low) An adenoma is nothing to worry about is it?

Thank you all for helping!
Sherry

Closed Thread