It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

Thyroid Disorders Message Board
Post New Thread   Closed Thread
LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 05-08-2006, 08:18 PM   #1
(female)

d.hall HB User
wheat intolerance

Im new to this and dont what to teach my grandmother how to suck eggs but has anyone ever connected their symtoms to wheat and gluten intolerance as well as being hypo as i notice lots of the symtoms are similiar and many are not getting relief despite medication.
Apologies if this has been covered before,its just that i have extremely high thyroid antibodies a TSH of 3.1 and am awaiting free t3s and 4s but have also been told im wheat intolerant.Which symtoms belong to which illness/intolerance????????
thanks, donna

Old 05-09-2006, 08:01 AM   #2
Senior Veteran
(female)

ASDGRMama HB User
Re: wheat intolerance

Hello! What exactly do you mean by "wheat intolerance" ? I'm asking because that means different things to different people. Some people call celiac disease "a wheat intolerance" or "gluten intolerance" which it's not. An intolerance/insensitivity is a difficulty in digesting the offending foods. There is no immune response. Food intolerances and sensitivities are extremely common; it is estimated that 1 in 7 people in the USA have a wheat intolerance.

Some symptoms of a wheat sensitivity/intolerance are (they can appear 2-3 days after eating the offending food):

stomach bloating
cramping
diarrhea
flatulence
constipation
headache
memory loss
behavioural difficulties
depression
poor resistance to infection
mouth ulcers
arthritis
Skin rashes
eczema
psoriasis
itching flaky skin
food cravings
tiredness
chronic fatigue
unwell feeling

Celiac is an autoimmune disease in response to consumption of all gluten-containing foods (not just wheat).

There was a recent discussion on celiac disease...here it is:

[URL=http://]http://www.healthboards.com/boards/showthread.php?t=386179[/URL]

There have been several others in the past also. Doing a board search on "celiac disease" might help you find the info.

These are some of the symptoms:
gas
recurring abdominal bloating and pain
chronic diarrhea
pale, foul-smelling, or fatty stool
weight loss / weight gain
fatigue
anemia
bone/joint pain
osteoporosis, osteopenia
behavioral changes
tingling numbness in the legs (from nerve damage)
muscle cramps
seizures
missed menstrual periods (often because of excessive weight loss)
infertility/recurrent miscarriage
delayed growth
failure to thrive in infants
pale sores inside the mouth (called aphthous ulcers)
tooth discoloration or loss of enamel
itchy skin rash called dermatitis herpetiformis

The diagnosis can be made with testing. An elimination diet can help determine if you have a wheat intolerance. For celiac there are antibody tests and biopsies that can be done.

There really is no definitive way to tell which symptoms are caused by which disease (as you can see the symptoms above are vague and overlap with MANY illnesses including hypoT). Because my symptoms haven't improved much with treatment I'm gradually eliminating gluten and dairy from my diet as well as reducing my meat consumption to see if it helps.

Currently I'm having symptoms and I have no idea if they're hypo, hyper or something else entirely! I'm hoping something will help at some point !

Kelly

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 05-09-2006, 02:56 PM   #3
(female)

d.hall HB User

Not really sure,i know i have huge amount of thyroid antibodies,have a 3.1 TSH and am awaiting more tests.
Homepath/convention dr tested me via bloods and i came back ok for celiac,but i had cut out carbs prior to this., He then used kinesilogy for food allergy/intolerance and wheat was am biggy for me.I have since cut this out and have started losing weight and am not bloated but my hair is falling out and many of the hashi/? other symtoms persist.
thanks and good luck with yours donna

Old 05-09-2006, 03:39 PM   #4
Inactive
(female)

ellie342 HB User

"Homepath/convention dr tested me via bloods and i came back ok for celiac,but i had cut out carbs prior to this., "

If you were not eating wheat when the tests for celiac disease were done, then they might have come back falsely negative. Patients are usually instructed NOT to stop eating wheat until after the testing for celiac disease is done, for this reason.

Ellie

Last edited by ellie342; 05-09-2006 at 03:39 PM.

Old 05-10-2006, 08:10 AM   #5
Senior Veteran
(female)

ASDGRMama HB User

Hello! The only way to rule Celiac out entirely is to do an intestinal biopsy. From what I understand there's a small percentage of people who will not be diagnosed by testing for the antibodies alone. Personally I'd rather remove gluten from my diet...it's not definitive but it's do-able and at this point the testing is not .

I hope you didn't feel I was minimizing your condition of wheat intolerance by saying it's common!! Common does not equal comfortable/easy to deal with. Wheat intolerance can be just as debilitating as celiac if not controlled (which is evident based on the symptoms I posted). Avoiding wheat as a way of life can be frustrating.

One of the perks of having an intolerance over celiac is that most people with an intolerance can eventually eat small amounts of the offending food after eliminating it entirely for several weeks-months. There seems to be a thresh-hold effect with intolerances.

You labs look similar to mine. I had a TSH of 3.75 when I began treatment and we later discovered I have very high antibody levels.

Congrats on the weight loss! That's fantastic !

The hair loss can be a bummer. Treatment hasn't helped me at this point. I have overall hair loss (eyebrows, eyelashes, scalp hair, pubic hair; including underarms and legs...I only have to shave my 20 or so hairs about once a month ).

It sounds like you're on the right road with the homeopath. I'm hoping to see a holistic MD early next year. Many of them seem to be able to eliminate a lot of the unpleasant symptoms associated with autoimmune diseases.

Keep us updated! I haven't read your other posts...what's with your grandma ?

Take Care!

Kelly

Closed Thread