HealthBoards

HealthBoards (http://www.healthboards.com/boards/)
-   Thyroid Disorders (http://www.healthboards.com/boards/thyroid-disorders/)
-   -   How soon after i take synthroid can i eat? (http://www.healthboards.com/boards/thyroid-disorders/390013-how-soon-after-i-take-synthroid-can-i-eat.html)

4fabfelines 05-09-2006 07:28 AM

How soon after i take synthroid can i eat?

[COLOR=Red]red[/COLOR]

Hello how soon after i take synthroid can i eat?
I have other meds to take and getting ready for work (when i can go back) .. this is irritating.
Why do you have to wait to eat?
:eek:

Lady50 05-09-2006 07:52 AM

Re: How soon after i take synthroid can i eat?

I have always been told to wait for 1 hour before eating, after taking my thyroid medicine.

The food interferes with the absorption of synthroid.

Some people take their Synthroid or other T4 med before going to sleep at night. That might work better for you.

You would have to wait 2 hours after you eat to take the Synthroid.

lisaM2 05-09-2006 01:13 PM

I take mine every morn when i get up - then yes you have to wait an hour before eating. if you take some iron suppl or certain types of vitamins check with teh pharmacist, some you need to wait 4 hrs after taking synthroid beofre taking.

Archie343 05-09-2006 01:37 PM

The literature that comes with Synthroid says to wait 30 to 60 minutes before eating, but experience suggests 60 minutes is better than 30.

At first I was waiting about an hour to eat and take my other pills--vitamins and supplements. During this time I was coming out of hypo much too slowly, IMO, so I started delaying two to three hours, for both food and pills. I felt the difference very quickly after making that change.

Now I realize the vitamins contain several ingredients that are not to be taken for 4 hours following Synthroid. I've concluded the real problem for me was not in eating after 60 minutes but taking the vitamins at that point. Now I try to eat about an hour following the Synthroid but I wait 'til noon or the evening to take the vitamins and supplements.

I know this can be a problem if you like to get up, grab a bite to eat and head out the door to work, all in the span of 15 or 20 minutes. You can't follow the proper regimen for Synthroid in less than an hour, so you have to either get up earlier (and enjoy a quiet and liesurely morning) or take/buy breakfast to be eaten later.

lfr 05-09-2006 02:14 PM

My endo said to definitely wait one hour.....but, he did say I can have a cup of coffee sooner.......thank god!

He was very clear too about not taking calcium supplements within 4 hours of taking the pill.

On those morning that I know I won't have an hour to wait before and need to eat and leave the house, I've woken up 30 min. earlier....taken the pill, and then stayed in bed and dozed a bit more.

It's been less than three weeks for me and I'm still learning.....and it is a pain to wait. But, I'm getting the hang of it and beginning to fall into a routine.

b&wcats 05-10-2006 06:20 PM

In case it's helpful -- I am taking X2 6mcg time release T4 a day so my world looks like this:
6:00 AM dose 1 (I wake up, take it, and go back to sleep)
10:00 AM food and multivitamin and 1/2 of my other supplements
2:00 PM dose 2
4:00 PM more food and other 1/2 of supplements

I am hypoglycimic, hypothyroid and less than a month on the T4 (tried Armour but it put me on the ceiling).
Still extremely tired, depressed, stomach issues but step by step I am deteremined it will get better.
This is all to say that I know of the challenge in daily schedule you speak of.

Does anyone have thoughts about helping time release T4 get into the body better?

4fabfelines 05-11-2006 08:30 AM

the surgeon i that did the thyroidectomy said that it really should'nt matter. Drink my coffee take my synthroid and eat.

Heartsy 05-11-2006 10:05 AM

I was having trouble taking my thyroid at the right time. It was hard to always take it an hour before or after eating, a lot of time I would forget and then it was time to eat again. When you work or just stay busy it is always a
problem.

For five weeks now I have been experimenting with putting my Synthroid tablet under my tongue and letting it dissolve. I read about this on another forum. It has not changed my feelings one way or the other. I have not become hyper or hypo. After I have my coffee and toast in the morning, I take my other meds and then put the Synthroid under my tongue and go about my business. I have not had to worry about when to take it. It has worked out fine, so far.

If anyone else does this, I would like to hear about it. If I continue to feel well, I will continue to do it.

illmakeit 05-11-2006 10:28 AM

Hi 4fabfelines, My surgeon said I would have no problem with any food - could eat anything after TT. Unfortunately, the surgeons sometimes have your care for 6 wks after and they really don't know what they are talking about - they are cutters and not endos. Mine started me on 75 mcg after TT and should have started me on 100 - or at least 88.

Food DOES make a difference. Wait at least an hour to be safe listen to what Archie & ljrfrm advised.

I've read that food may slow the process of the drug entering the stomach and also may affect absorption of the drug by binding with it. It can decrease the body's ability to absorb the medication by changing the rate at which it dissolves or by changing the stomach's acid balance. If you HAVE to eat right away - ALWAYS eat right away - be consistant.

Take care.

AmateurStepmom 05-11-2006 12:28 PM

I have to eat when I first wake up. I'm hungry. Just started Synthroid. Doctor didn't say anything about not eating or when to take it etc. I read the label that said to take on an empty stomach or at least two hours after eating. The best time for me would be before bed. (its the only time I know I won't eat!!) But I take my birth control (necon) at night also. Anyone know of any problems with this? I put a call into the gyn/ob but haven't received a response yet.

illmakeit 05-11-2006 12:34 PM

Yes, you are not supposed to take them together. Could you take your BC in the morning?
this was posted by MEEP a while back:

"Yes, BCP CAN affect test results. Here's how. Higher levels of estrogen cause more binding of thyroid hormones to proteins in your blood. Since they are bound top proteins and not immediately available for your body to use, your need for thyroid hormones is greater.

If your need for thyroid hormones is greater, your TSH will be higher. Since TSH is what most doctors go by when diagnosing thyroid problems, this problem will show up on a lab test.

Even if your BCP doesn't contain estrogen, it CAN affect estrogen levels, theoretically, since it affects the balance of other hormones."

AmateurStepmom 05-11-2006 12:41 PM

could the BCP be causing high TSH and I don't actually have Hypo?

illmakeit 05-11-2006 01:34 PM

I don't THINK so, but I don't know for sure. There are so many pp on bc that I highly doubt bc causes it - just that it causes you to get less use of the thyroid meds you take, so you need more than you would if you didn't take bc.

Post a new thread with that question - see if someone knows for sure.

pursie 05-11-2006 01:59 PM

hiya i wasjust wondering why my doctor didnt offer me synthroid after having such awfull problems with thyroxine , what are the differences in the two drugs?
after i was given thyroxine even though it was a small dose i experienced palps and bad insomnia he said thyroxine was the only drug and the pharmasist did do you think i have a heart condition getting such problems on such a low dose by the way it was boderline now after taking thyroxine for a month its a much worse reading i also had to go to the hos with teribble bleeding while on it? please help me somebody im not receiving treatment and im ill ! doctors unhelpfull do you think my smoking is making palps worse to this degree? also should i take betas? im 36 lost alot of hair despite starting off as a boderline condition insidently i have been for a cardiagram 2 years ogo it was ok but only had a 24 hour check? please can you help me i want to take thyroxine as my hair started to grow back but i couldnt handel the palps and anxiety
i had suffered with very bad stress 2 years ago and was given diazapam could i use theese to slow up my palps im also on methone 50 mls im female sorry about the long mess lol haveto laugh or ill cry I HATE THYROIDS!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

AmateurStepmom 05-11-2006 02:07 PM

katpurs,
I feel your pain! I think we all start out just as confused and worried. You need to find another doctor! They can't just decide not to treat you at all... But as many others on this board have posted before, you have to try and calm down and destress a bit. Gosh I feel like you need a big hug! Just do some research on the doctors in your area and try to find one that will treat you and make you feel better. I don't know about all those medicines and the palps etc so I can't offer advise there.