It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

Thyroid Disorders Message Board
Post New Thread   Closed Thread
LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 05-09-2006, 07:56 AM   #1
(female)

Lola51 HB User
Did I make a mistake??

Hi Friends!

I was diagnosed in Sept. 05 as "Subclinical HyperT w/goiter" that meant that my TSH was low (< .01) but everything else was in range w/no antibodies. I was going along just fine - mild palpitations; mild anxiety; sleep problems, but thought it might be perimenopause - until Feb. 06 when my heart really started racing and my anxiety went off the charts. TSH still <.01, but TT3 191 (60 - 181) concerned dr. FT4 was 1.3 (.8 - 1.8) Started on 10 mg of Methimazole and 10 mg of Propranolol and within weeks felt Fabulous!! I was feeling so good that I cut back on the beta blocker to 5 mg.
But then I started to feel not so great: sleeplessness; weight gain; major depression. My bloodwork in April was: TSH .03; FT4- .9; TT3 127. Endo said to stay on meds as is: I felt that I was going hypo and cut the methimazole back to 5 mg. Again, I felt great for several weeks. But now, I've got the restlessness; sleeplessness; fatigue; weight gain; and incredible heartburn/bloating all day long. Did I make a mistake cutting back on the ATD? Am I going hyper again? I'm due for bloodwork next week, but I'm afraid that the endo is going to yell at me for cutting back.
Any ideas? Does anybody else have the heartburn/bloating problem?? I didn't lose weight w/hyper and now I'm gaining which doesn't help those digestive problems!!
I'm tired of getting teased w/periods of feeling good only to sink back. I appreciate any thoughts.
Lola

Last edited by Administrator; 06-26-2011 at 03:27 AM.

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 05-09-2006, 01:00 PM   #2
Veteran
(female)

hyperkim HB User
Re: Did I make a mistake??

I don't think you made a mistake.

I think the cut back is why you returned to feeling good for a few weeks. My thought is you may need to cut back again. Its hard to say what to do without labs. Do you think the dr will let you get labs done this week? Then still the the dr next week?

I would follow your instincts though. Especially if you were loosing weight while hyper and gaining while hypo. Over time you get to where you recognize a pattern of "your" hypo or hyper symptoms. The dr won't be able to "feel" what you're feeling.

And I wouldn't worry about what the dr says about the ATD reduction. Just tell him you got scared and wanted to give it a try. And, VOILA! You felt better so you stayed at that dose. Share your fear of going from one extreme to the other. It can't hurt.

And there are always other drs out there.

Keep us posted
Hyperkim
Fibromyalgia Dx 1/08
Chronic Fatigue Syndrome Dx 1/08

Closed Thread