It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

Thyroid Disorders Message Board
Post New Thread   Closed Thread
LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 05-10-2006, 12:30 PM   #1
(female)

carroc HB User
Must Go Back to Work 8 Days After Surgery

Dear Friends,

I find myself in a difficult situation. You see I just got this Great new job and I must go back to work 8 days after surgery. I have a 4.0 cm mass on my right side and have a great aunt and cousin who experienced the exact same thing in their 30's (both tt fortunately were not cancerous). I'm playing the odds that mine won't be cancerous either.

Can anybody give me realistic input on how you felt on the 8th day after your surgery. Any information would be appreciated as I find myself in a difficult situation....I need the surgery and I need this job!

Thanks for any and all imput.
Connie

Old 05-10-2006, 01:17 PM   #2
(female)

ThyroidGirl HB User
Re: Must Go Back to Work 8 Days After Surgery

Connie,
I had a TT in January and went back to work after 9 days. I wanted to be there, yet I tired very easily, so I only worked 1/2 days for the first week. You may be able to go back after 8 days, but to be locked into that is a shame. You may need more time. What then? Will you be fired? If you put the surgery off a couple of months or so, would you be given more time off later? If so, you could probably safely postpone the surgery. I had multiple nodules. The largest was 4 cm on my right side, like yours. Everything was benign. Good luck.

Chris

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 05-10-2006, 01:26 PM   #3
(female)

lfr HB User

I know everyone responds to the surgery differently - I can only tell you about my experience. I posted about 1 week after my surgery (surgery was 4/21) that I was so thankful I had that second week off of work. There was no way I could have gone back to work. I was tired and sore still, but also having a lot of voice problems still. Resting my voice as much as I could really helped it come back quicker I think. I just started driving 8 days post surgery, and drove my son to his baseball game. I maybe could have made it through a couple of hours of work each day - but no way could I have returned full time. I'm just back at work this week, and having a hard time making through the day.

Returning part-time for a week is a great option - is that possible for you?

Old 05-10-2006, 01:56 PM   #4
Senior Veteran
(female)

Red Maple HB UserRed Maple HB User

Are you having a partial thyroidectomy or a total? I had a partial (right side of thyroid removed) in August 2003 on a Friday, and was back to work the following Tuesday. (It was over Labor Day weekend) I was a bit sore and tired, but was able to do my job just fine. I work in an office and do not have any physical labor other than putting paper in my printer, so it was pretty easy on me. Talking on the phone was a bit more difficult but I managed just fine.

Good Luck! Everybody is different, you may need a longer recovery, or may sail right through it as I did.

Old 05-10-2006, 07:14 PM   #5
(female)

marissamm HB User

when i had tt someone messed up and my vocal cords were completely parylized for 3 months.if i had a job i couldn't return 8 days post op.

Old 05-10-2006, 10:41 PM   #6
(female)

tawnyjade HB User

Me, too. I also had a little mishap with my vocal cord. My job requires constant talking and energy. I was out 6 months.
Hopefully your new job supervisors will understand if you need a bit more time to heal. My District Manager kept asking me why they didn't have a standard time frame for this healing processs. Everyone is different. Most people have little or no difficulties and can go back to work pretty quickly.
NUMBER ONE IS YOU AND YOUR HEALTH!!

Best for you!

Tawny

Old 05-11-2006, 04:51 AM   #7
Senior Veteran
(male)

Archie343 HB User

Baring the complications some have mentioned you may be OK going to work after 8 days. This also assumes you are given Synthroid or equivalent shortly after surgery. If you are forced to go into deep hypo (hormones not given) you will not feel like working unless there's a cot near your desk where you can nap several times a day. (I napped with a cordless phone in bed with me.)

Old 05-26-2006, 03:28 AM   #8
(female)

kmkrn HB User

carroc - today is my 8th day after surgery. I am feeling back to my old self. My neck is just slightly stiff but I know I could be returning to work and driving if I needed to. Unfortunately, my surgeon called and my pathology report showed cancer. I stopped my synthroid and am seeing him this morning for a follow up. Take care. Please know that I am thinking about you. The hardest part seems to be dreading the surgery.

Old 05-26-2006, 08:47 AM   #9
Inactive
(female)

sudufu HB User

carroc ~ agree with Archie, being thrown into DEEP hypo is AWFUL, (I know cuz it happened to me), make SURE you get meds either prior to or just upon leaving the hospital. Depending on how physical your job is, you should do OK. May need to work 1/2 days for a week , , ,
~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~

((((((((((((((((( kmkern )))))))))))))))))

my thoughts & prayers are with you

Old 05-26-2006, 11:13 AM   #10
(female)

lfr HB User

kmkrn -
Sorry to hear about your pathology report. I'm glad you're feeling well though and wish you the best.

Lisa

Last edited by lfr; 05-26-2006 at 11:13 AM.

Old 05-27-2006, 07:51 AM   #11
(female)

MATYA HB User

It really does depend on your particular situation. I had a TT in Dec 2005 and returned to work in Mid Feb. I probably should have gone back only part time, because I was so tired by 1m and my neck was still very sore, tight and couldn't extend my voice.

If you have to go back, try half a day, depending upon your job, and rest your voice, it you have any problems

Will be praying for you.

Closed Thread