It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

Thyroid Disorders Message Board
Post New Thread   Closed Thread
LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 05-10-2006, 03:08 PM   #1
Senior Veteran
(female)

SHMILY HB UserSHMILY HB User
Armour vs. Thyrolar

Is the t4 in Armour synthetic or natural? I know the t3 is natural but wondered about the t4.

I know how to calulate the mcg in a grain of Armour and also Thyrolar but wondered if the potency is same.

What I'm trying to ask............is 47 mcg (38+9) of Armour stronger than 62 1/2 mcg (50 + 12 1/2) Thyrolar. I am comparing a grain of one to a grain of the other. I wondered if the Armour being natural would be stronger mcg for mcg?

Old 05-10-2006, 06:26 PM   #2
Senior Veteran
(female)

midwest1 HB Usermidwest1 HB Usermidwest1 HB Usermidwest1 HB Usermidwest1 HB Usermidwest1 HB Usermidwest1 HB Usermidwest1 HB Usermidwest1 HB Usermidwest1 HB Usermidwest1 HB User
Re: Armour vs. Thyrolar

Interesting question. Let me know if you ever find the answer.

I think this is one of those riddles to which the answer may never be figured out. I mean... each body is so different from the next, and so, each body's reaction to a med will be different.

I now take 1 1/2 grains of Armour, which on 'the chart' should be equivalent to 111-150 mcgs Synthroid; but that much Synthroid literally would've killed me. I couldn't take 50 mcgs of Synthroid without it sending my FTs over the top.
That's why I think that trying to compare one drug to another for effectiveness is an exercise in futility.

You mentioned in a previous post that you were successful on Thyrolar, that a previous MD cut the dose, and you've had trouble ever since. Have you tried going back on it yet? I know it isn't commonly prescribed... Is that the reason you aren't taking it now?

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 05-10-2006, 06:31 PM   #3
Inactive
(female)

ellie342 HB User

The T4 in Armour is natural - from pigs. I am contemplating switching from Levothroid and Cytomel to Armour, and was advised NOT to attempt to make a straight switch - because even though in theory I might calculate a certain dose, some people apparently respond better to Armour and need less. The conversion table on the maker of Armour's site suggests 100 mg of T4 as equivalent to 1 grain (60 mg) Armour, even though if you do the calculations, it looks like that is less Armour than what you would need - so I'm guessing they have observed the same phenomenon, of Armour being more effective than the mgs would sugges. So I'll probably start a little low and work my way up, just to be safe.

Ellie

Old 05-11-2006, 09:00 AM   #4
Senior Veteran
(female)

SHMILY HB UserSHMILY HB User

Midwest........................When I first went to Dr. A, I was taking 1 1/2 grains of Thyrolar and my t4 was low and t3 was in upper range. He said I was overmedicated because my tsh was suppressed. I don't think I agree. Couldn't the imbalance and the higher t3 caused that. He said that thyrolar had too much t3 for me............BUT...then he put me on Armour which has about the same ratio of t4/43 so that's why I wondering about the difference. When last test 6 wks ago showed both ft4 & ft3 at the very bottom (ft3 was 1 pt. below) he added only 12 1/2 mcg of levoxyl to my 3/4 gr of Armour. My next appointment is not until Aug. I asked for another increase and he said "No". He thinks it takes longer than 6 wks to "level out". My 24 hr. urine test came back normal.

Ellie...................Very helpful info, I'm going to search that site also. I think I do feel better on the Armour although I don't think I am taking enough. I still have symptoms, but seem to be getting a little better. It must be agreeing with me.

Closed Thread