OK , so about a month ago I purchased Thyroid blend support from the health food store. It contains Kelp, Irish Moss, Eleuthero, Gentian, Fenugreek and Cayenne pepper. You take two capsules 2 x per day.
I have been contemplating taking this but I am scared. Do you think this could really help? If it doesn't help, has anyone had experience with this causing more damage ??
If your thyroid condition is caused by iodine deficiency then yes it could help. But if you have Hashimoto's (autoimmune thyroid disease) it may be akin to "pouring fuel on the fire".
The purpose of those herbs is to increase iodine levels and therefore stimulate the thyroid. However, in people with hashi's the last thing we want is for our thyroid to be stimulated because it may increase the attack.
I personally cannot take anything with kelp. It makes my body (especially my joints )feel like it's on fire (progesterone cream does the same thing for me).
There is a holistic dr (Dr. David Brownstein) who specifically deals with hormone issues (especially thyroid) and he does not recommend kelp or iodine supplements for those with autoimmune thyroid disease. He has written several books (The Miracle of Natural Hormones and Overcoming Thyroid Disorders are two specifically) I'd like to skim through and possibly purchase.
I have Hashimoto's and have read NOT to take kelp, like pp said.
I have read about taking Selenium (there's a post re this in this forum) - it's supposed to help convert T4 to T3, but I really don't know enough about it to recommend it, you'd have to research it.
I found one of your previous posts interesting in that you were diagnosed with a viral thyroiditis. I feel like I have found a soulmate! I had hyper symptoms first for about a month, then things sputtered out, then felt like I was trying to get back to baseline...oops, now feel like I am heading the other direction. The whole process starting the beginning of Feb. Two out three antibodies were tested (not Graves) and came back within normal limits. Doctors have not been much help. I figure I am either going through a viral syndrome, or perhaps Hasmimoto's, although the endo I saw thought my thyroid felt "normal". I am curious as to how you got your diagnosis as I have not had much luck with docs. I would truly prefer a thyroid US to rule out anything else.
My doctor did an rai uptake test, and my results were abnormal. I had 20% uptake in 4 hours and 38% in 24hrs. I think the normal results are up to 28% after 24 hours, so mine was a little high. (At the time I had hyper symptoms). They also did an ultrasound. This is the only reason they actually admitted I had a thyroid problem, because my blood work has never come up out of the norm(although I'm not so sure they have done all the proper tests).
Since I had negative antibodies, they say it is not hashimotos.
Originally they said the thyroid would heal on its own in about 4-6 months, but I am now at 10 months and getting more symptoms, now I'm anemic, have low blood pressure, and a heart murmur.
Did your blood tests come back abnormal???
Y, You are so fortunate to have a doctor who was willing to run those scans. What type of doc was it..endo? My presentation sounds just like yours. My blood work has also been "within normal limits" also, although not a complete thyroid panel was done (sigh). I am so doctor shy right now, that I may possibly wait to see how this thing plays out. As I have read and understand it, the thyroid will heal over time OR there could be lasting damage. Also, from what I have read, and this may be your case, there are antibodies in 90% of Hashimoto cases, so where does this leave the other 10%? These are the things I don't understand. Viral thyroiditis, which we believe we have, I believe is also called silent thyroiditis, which "usually" presents post-partum. Again, what does the "usually" mean? I am not post partum. I am carefully doing my homework looking for the "right" physician to see next time, if need be. One of the other board members put it in terms I could relate to, it is like you are auditioning these docs. Hope you feel better Y.
What you said regarding the 10% who do not develop antibodies is really interesting, Im hoping this is just temporary but Im beginning to have my doubts. I didnt have any pain of the thryoid , did you?
Does anyone know what else can be done to diagnose Hashi's w/out antibodies? I don't think viral thyroiditis is supposed to last more than 4-6 months ( and I've read thats even a severe case if it lasts that long).