It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

Thyroid Disorders Message Board
Post New Thread   Closed Thread
LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 05-10-2006, 09:50 PM   #1

Wingsoflove HB User
Question Hypo and blood testing question

Hi, I read that a persons TSH number should be under 2. Is this correct? I'm on meds for hypo. My doctor always just does the TSH test. I don't think I have ever had the T3 AND T4 test done. Is this wrong of my doctor? Should I ask for this test? I have a feeling he wouldn't go for it. And I haven't been given my blood work so I don't know my TSH number. Is it common to just do a TSH test?

Old 05-10-2006, 10:37 PM   #2
Senior Veteran
(male)

NHone HB User
Re: Hypo and blood testing question

Quote:
Originally Posted by Wingsoflove
Hi, I read that a persons TSH number should be under 2. Is this correct? I'm on meds for hypo. My doctor always just does the TSH test. I don't think I have ever had the T3 AND T4 test done. Is this wrong of my doctor? Should I ask for this test? I have a feeling he wouldn't go for it. And I haven't been given my blood work so I don't know my TSH number. Is it common to just do a TSH test?
It could be under 2. Current american association of clinical endocronlogist suggest the upper range of 3. However that is the "normal" range.. there is debate to that. Most lab techs report the they see a normal range of 1.95. But you number needs to be optimal for you..could be lower or higher. This means when you are symptom free. You should have a free T3 test as this is the active part of the thyroid hormone. It is common to do just a TSH...but it is not right. T3 is the only part that will raise your body temperature to a normal level. Below normal body temperature is know to cause low metabolism. Low metabolism is know to cause heart disease regardless of Cholesterol numbers.

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 05-11-2006, 05:05 AM   #3
Inactive
(female)

ttc1asap HB User

I found my endo on the AACE website. I was excited b/c I thought he'd go with the AACE recommended lower TSH range. I was shocked when he told me I was normal @ 3.84 TSH b/c I told him my symptoms and how horrible I felt, and my last TSH 2.5 months prior was 3.15. Also, he didn't run anything except TSH
He has me scheduled to test my TSH in 2 wks but I'm going to call and request the FT4 AND FT3, and maybe the reverse T3. BTW, my BBT temps (in the AM) are still pretty low. Im on my 9th bad cold since December and still have all my hypo symptoms. I plan to go to a new endo soon. I had to beg this guy to try .075mg (he said OK, for 5 weeks...but I still feel the same). I know it can take a long time to regulate the thyroid (BTW I have Hashimoto's). It amazes me how we have to tell the endo what to test! How is he a part of the AACE if he goes by the old range and doesn't even look beyond the TSH? The AACE must just like the $ and the doctor just wants his name associated with them!

Last edited by ttc1asap; 05-11-2006 at 05:06 AM.

Old 05-11-2006, 06:42 AM   #4
Senior Veteran
(female)

illmakeit HB User

I think some of the AACE docs forget to read the information AACE puts out.

Old 05-11-2006, 07:21 AM   #5
Inactive
(female)

ttc1asap HB User

Lol. So frustrating.

Old 05-11-2006, 03:58 PM   #6

Wingsoflove HB User

Gees I have never even been to a Endo just my regular doctor does the THS test. I always have a low temp and never new this meant something. This is frustrating. Thank you guys for the info I'm going to bring it up with my doctor my next visit. It not until September I also have thyriod symptoms even after being on meds. I think I need a high dose.

Closed Thread