It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

Thyroid Disorders Message Board
Post New Thread   Closed Thread
LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 05-11-2006, 10:20 PM   #1
(female)

christine25 HB User
Constant Throat clearing and Phlegm!

I get thick sticky mucus, or Post nasal drip after eating drinking, exercising, putting on makeup or perfumes, anthing that stimulates my body. The mucus isnt so much a problem as is the pain that goes along with it. it started after I took synthroid, and cytomel, weird huh?

If I dont hack up the phlegm I get facial swelling and pain in my face, jaw and cheeks and sometimes hands feet and eyes.

The headaches come on about 20 min after I eat and my jaw really hurts and cracks and the mucus starts flowing.

Its depressing and makes me feel less attractive.

I have tried many diets and pills and sprays and supplements.
I think that avoiding gluten and dairy helps a little bit.

Im still trying to find relief for myself, maybe there are some sort of emzymes I can take or somthing....

DOes anyone else have JAW pain or facial swelling, headaches with mucus? Id really like to know.

I had developed thyroiditis too as a result of lithium exposure, both the mucus and thryoid problem happened around the same time.

im only 25 and have been dealing with this for 2 years now.

I have already been evaluted for TMJ, hasnt helped.

Old 05-12-2006, 07:29 AM   #2
Inactive
(female)

ttc1asap HB User
Re: Constant Throat clearing and Phlegm!

I have all that but before I started Synthroid. It has been better with the Synthroid. Hopefully you can talk to your doctor and see if you need something else or maybe you have a coexistent condition. I had a CT a year before I found I had Hashimoto's and all my sinuses were filled. I sometimes get such thick stuff in my throat that I can't breathe, but like I said it's been better lately, not so often. I also had constant upper palate and back throat pain, and constant sinus pain, especially on the right side (my eye would throb badly when I was tired, etc.). I was found to have a small nasal polyp (which I learned can be caused by thyroid problems) and a slight deviated septum on the right, so that doesn't help. Hope you feel better soon. Sorry if all of this didn't relate to you, but sometimes I think telling stories helps b/c maybe someone can relate it to themselves, or learn something.
I have headaches a lot too, and I think those and my sinus and throat problems all have to do with the thyroid problem. Also, the upper palate pain may be affected by the sinuses, the ones right over the top gums.
GL!

Last edited by ttc1asap; 05-12-2006 at 07:31 AM.

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 05-14-2006, 09:32 PM   #3
(female)

christine25 HB User
Re: Constant Throat clearing and Phlegm!

I have had sinuses checked out and my ENT says they are good.
He said i didnt have any polyps and that my sinuses were clear and septum was straight. He said that what ever was causing this problem its not sinuitis.
I wanted to know if you also get facial puffiness with this mucus you used to have or headaches.
The puffiness looks like classic hypo around the mouth and eyes and cheeks and my lower jaw, also my jaw cracks, and the mucus i get is thick and sticky and its stimulated wherever I eat or drink.

My ENT dx me with vasomotor rhinitis, and gave me some spray, it helped supress the mucus but the headaches and facial and eye puffines and jaw pain became worse because I couldnt get the mucus out, it wasnt draining so its like it was accumulating in the tissues in my skin. Im in a lot of pain too and Tmj exercises hasnt helped. I need to get to the root cause, and im not sure what that is except somthing thyroid related.

Let me know what you think,
You said that your mucus got better after you went to synthroid, and do you get the face puffiness, or in your hands and feet at all, or jaw?

Christina

Closed Thread