It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

Thyroid Disorders Message Board
Post New Thread   Closed Thread
LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 05-11-2006, 10:30 PM   #1
(female)

christine25 HB User
Facial Swelling, Puffiness?

I have been experiencing facial, eyelid, lip, and the area around the mouth puffiness in my face, sometimes hands and feet, since dx with hasimotos disease 1 year ago.

I get jaw pain, and achey headaches all day, espically after meals.

I was reading somwhere about myxedema, or mucopolysaccride accumulation in pepople with thyroid problems.

Does Anyone else have facial puffiness, eye puffiness or symptoms at one point or another.

Its really painful, and my jaw snaps too. This all goes along with pressure increased in my face,

CT sinuses, ruled out normal
no Allergies
TMJ treatment unsecussful

Avoiding gluten and diary has helped a little bit

Old 05-12-2006, 04:48 AM   #2
(female)

ginger3130 HB Userginger3130 HB User
Re: Facial Swelling, Puffiness?

I get the swelling as well, especially in my hands and feet and face. It can be painful. I have recently upped my Synthroid, which helps, but sometimes, especially in the morning when I wake up, I am swollen. When I had my bloodwork done, my sodium was low and I drink tons of water. I just don't understand why I swell. I guess its just a fact of life with hypothyroidism.

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 05-12-2006, 06:09 AM   #3
Senior Veteran
(female)

scoot HB User

i've definitely got puffy face when i get up in the morning. i never had wrinkles around my eyes until i became hypothyroid. the puffiness makes the wrinkles worse.

its not painful and seems to be contained to my face. as the day goes on the swelling goes down. i'm hoping once i've been on the optimal dose of levo that the swelling and wrinkles will dissipate after a few months or so. seems like it takes forever for the body to recover from lack of thyroid hormones.

Old 05-13-2006, 12:32 PM   #4
(female)

christine25 HB User

Hey guys, thanks for resonding. I its nice to know that I am not alone.
How far into your thyroid problems did you start getting the facial swelling.
For me it was about 2 months after I went on thyroid medication.
My TSH is 1.2, I wonder if I have thyroid hormone resistance or somthing else is going on to cause the swelling because my doctors say they cant do anything more for my thyroid and they have run all the tests in the world.
My antibodies are still weakly positive, but they have gone down, which is good.

Let me know what you think, I want to hear your experiences too, and how long you have had the swelling.

Also my outter eyebrows havent grown back in either, but my worst lingering symptoms are by far are the headaches, swelling and puffiness in the tissues in my face. Ive been dealing with it for 2 years, im scarred that is will never go away, but i cant loose hope.

Christina

Old 05-13-2006, 12:44 PM   #5
Senior Veteran
(female)

scoot HB User

you know i'm really not sure when the puffiness started. i remember noticing the wrinkles first, before the puffiness. maybe both started together but i didnt notice at first. i had gained weight so i certainly attributed the larger face to that.

the wrinkles and possibly the puffiness showed up last summer. that was months after i started having hypo symptoms yet months before the docs figured out what was wrong with me. i've been on meds since october and still puffy. i'm sure i need a higher dose and i'm hoping that once i get the right dose the puffiness will decrease - but i'm expecting that to take forever to go away just like so many of the other symptoms.

Last edited by scoot; 05-13-2006 at 12:45 PM.

Old 05-13-2006, 12:53 PM   #6
(female)

daisy01 HB User

Hiya christina,
I also get the puffy face, particularly around the eyes and some days I have no jaw line at all. I also get the sinus headaches and stuffed up nose. I use a steam inhalation and menthol chewing gums to get rid of the pain in my head,My pharmacist advised me against taking any decongestants, he said they interfere with the levo and can make your heart beat too fast so be careful what u take.
I am at a loss at what to do about the puffiness, so any tips from anyone would be greatly appreciated

The only good thing to come out of my hypoT puffiness, is I now have boobs, a friend who I havent seen for a couple of yrs asked me if I had implants lol

Old 05-13-2006, 10:22 PM   #7
(female)

browneyegurl HB User

I have noticed facial swelling also. (I have Hashi's, but take no meds yet.) The worst place I notice my swelling is between my eyes. And like someone else mentioned, it's given me wrinkles that I really hate. I also now have nice plump lips now that are way noticably different for me. All my life I've had really thin ones, but not anymore. Daisy, I know how you feel about the implant question, nobody has asked yet, but I keep waiting for someone to ask if I had them injected. lol

Old 05-13-2006, 11:37 PM   #8
(female)

christine25 HB User

Hi there, guys.
Ya my lips get puffy too, and my eyelids also, esically the more water I drink.

My jaw gets puffy and aches too tho, and has caused me to get TMJ.
So along with the puffiness comes pain, and its worse espically after I eat. like the other night I went out had steak potatos and a glass vodka and cranberry juice at a great restaurant, the meal was excellent, yet in the next morning I was totally puffy, swollen and had a headache.

It seems like im reactive to certain foods, and chemicals, ie too much dairy, salt, perfumes and fragrances, and car fuel etc. I'll get swollen up more too.
ive tested neg, for allergies, so Its like my immune system is hypereactive or somthing.

I get think sticky mucus in the back of my throat after meals too. The excess mucus is gross and painful.

Does this sound familar to anyone?

Old 05-13-2006, 11:42 PM   #9
(female)

christine25 HB User

Hey daisy,

Do you get puffiness all over? even in your boobs?
That doesnt sound too bad,,,lol

I guess the things im trying to do is avoid certain foods that are high in sugar and also dairy, and lots of salt and sometimes bread and gluten.

Avoiding those things has actually helped me a lot but I still have slip ups, and I still react, and get puffy.

I hate the headaches too.

Old 05-13-2006, 11:48 PM   #10
(female)

christine25 HB User

Quote:
Originally Posted by browneyegurl
I have noticed facial swelling also. (I have Hashi's, but take no meds yet.) The worst place I notice my swelling is between my eyes. And like someone else mentioned, it's given me wrinkles that I really hate. I also now have nice plump lips now that are way noticably different for me. All my life I've had really thin ones, but not anymore. Daisy, I know how you feel about the implant question, nobody has asked yet, but I keep waiting for someone to ask if I had them injected. lol
its amazing that you have hashimotos and arent on meds, yet you have the puffiness in your face and body...because I have had symptoms with normals thryoid levels for 2 years now. Dont let that scare you tho, everybody is different. my TSH only went up to 4.5 so I wasnt treated for very long im off meds now, and fine as long as I watch my diet, and avoid dairy, and excess iodine. that iodine always makes me feel worse.

Id like to know your story.
And what are your main symptoms and antibody levels, how it happened etc...
Tell me more about the puffiness.

Old 05-14-2006, 02:20 AM   #11
(female)

daisy01 HB User

I also think it is a response from our immune systems that triggers the puffiness. I have got to start an elimination diet tomorrow as I also have very watery stools. I have just had an endoscopy and colonosopy with biopsies taken for coeliacs, I am just waiting for the results, so maybe that will yield some answers.

I have never been intolerant of anything until 3 years ago when I developed an allergic response to ibruprofen. It made me swell up so badly that I looked like a caterpillar. 3 months before that, I had taken it post op after my hysterctomy and was fine on it. I have been too scared to take any pain relief pills since . Soya makes my joints swell and be really painful, but it is hidden in so many foods. The worse thing is, the gluten free foods have soya flour in them as the substitute so shopping now takes me 3 times as long as I have to read every label. I even read the labels on products I know I am ok with as sometimes the ingredients get changed.

I also know that if I drink a soft drink that contains aspartame, then I puff right up and get severe headaches. I had been drinking flavoured spring waters not realising that they contained it, thinking I was dehydrated. I was causing more problems than I was solving. So all diet drinks are out for me and I just drink my coffee and filtered water.
The boobs are fine by the way just wish I didnt have the pot belly to go with them!!!! lol

Old 05-14-2006, 09:12 PM   #12
(female)

christine25 HB User

Hi daisy, I agree I think the puffiness is immune related also, becuse I also react to dyes, advil, and a whole host of other things that I am hypersensitve to.
I dont carry the gene for celiac disease, but since I have eliminated gluten and cut down on salt also, I feel much better than I did before.

Some of the things I react to:
Makeup, lipstick, purple eyeshadows and golds, eyelineer and mascara, I can feel the tissues in my face swell at time, has gotten better tho.

Nickle, and cheap metals, or when I touch the newspaper

Canned, pickled or salty foods in vinegar, and salad dressings.

soy

dairy, chesse, and espically eggs the eggs are the worse,,,I get puffy and also emotional, crying spells, and mucus in my throat.

iodized salt

presertivies in food, like in canned soup, chips, corn chips

chinese food, MSG

dyes, like red dye 40 etc.

grapes, and apples
any dried processed fruits, like rasins

Oats, and cereal

anything too acidic.

nuts, and peanut butter

ice cream and sweetes like cake and breads make me really puffy

also things like floride in my toothpaste, and anything high in salyiclates, like mouth wash, or chewing gum, mints.

I have trouble with bannans too.

I do best with well washed steamed veggies, simple hamburger meat, chicken, some peeled well washed fruits, potatos, white rice, beans, water and unswettened tea, I dont add spices or salt to my cooking anymore, salt I found bothers me still. Salt makes me retain more water, and I get puffier.

I also will swell up if I smell perfumes that are too strong and I have to watch what shampoo I use and what deordants, because of the Aluminum which bothers me too.

Im sensitive to everything which leads me to believe that it is immune related also.
or somthing is blocked or not detoxing chemicals and foods properly in my body.

I think the elimination diet is a great idea, and let me know what your doing.

Maybe we can help eachother figure this out.

C

Old 05-15-2006, 02:14 AM   #13
Senior Veteran
(female)

pursie HB User

Quote:
Originally Posted by christine25
its amazing that you have hashimotos and arent on meds, yet you have the puffiness in your face and body...because I have had symptoms with normals thryoid levels for 2 years now. Dont let that scare you tho, everybody is different. my TSH only went up to 4.5 so I wasnt treated for very long im off meds now, and fine as long as I watch my diet, and avoid dairy, and excess iodine. that iodine always makes me feel worse.

Id like to know your story.
And what are your main symptoms and antibody levels, how it happened etc...
Tell me more about the puffiness.
how did you get off meds i tried but got sick again after acouple.......months
do you hink everybody could stop meds they make me feel v.poorly?
tsh 4somthing to start whil;e on meds 13? get your head round that? love katpurs also my hands feel like fat cooking sausages! love katpursxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx xxxxx

Last edited by katpurs; 05-15-2006 at 04:33 AM.

Old 05-15-2006, 04:38 AM   #14
Senior Veteran
(female)

pursie HB User

Quote:
Originally Posted by christine25
Hi daisy, I agree I think the puffiness is immune related also, becuse I also react to dyes, advil, and a whole host of other things that I am hypersensitve to.
I dont carry the gene for celiac disease, but since I have eliminated gluten and cut down on salt also, I feel much better than I did before.

Some of the things I react to:
Makeup, lipstick, purple eyeshadows and golds, eyelineer and mascara, I can feel the tissues in my face swell at time, has gotten better tho.

Nickle, and cheap metals, or when I touch the newspaper

Canned, pickled or salty foods in vinegar, and salad dressings.

soy

dairy, chesse, and espically eggs the eggs are the worse,,,I get puffy and also emotional, crying spells, and mucus in my throat.

iodized salt

presertivies in food, like in canned soup, chips, corn chips

chinese food, MSG

dyes, like red dye 40 etc.

grapes, and apples
any dried processed fruits, like rasins

Oats, and cereal

anything too acidic.

nuts, and peanut butter

ice cream and sweetes like cake and breads make me really puffy

also things like floride in my toothpaste, and anything high in salyiclates, like mouth wash, or chewing gum, mints.

I have trouble with bannans too.

I do best with well washed steamed veggies, simple hamburger meat, chicken, some peeled well washed fruits, potatos, white rice, beans, water and unswettened tea, I dont add spices or salt to my cooking anymore, salt I found bothers me still. Salt makes me retain more water, and I get puffier.

I also will swell up if I smell perfumes that are too strong and I have to watch what shampoo I use and what deordants, because of the Aluminum which bothers me too.

Im sensitive to everything which leads me to believe that it is immune related also.
or somthing is blocked or not detoxing chemicals and foods properly in my body.

I think the elimination diet is a great idea, and let me know what your doing.

Maybe we can help eachother figure this out.

C
i dont know what my thyroid condition is from? but i eat loads of unwashed fruit an veg &raw carrots etc maybe i shouldnt doctors dont tell me anything the things i need for my anemia seem to contridict the food i should use for my thyroid condition????????? any coments welcome love to everyonexxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxkat

Old 05-15-2006, 07:14 AM   #15
(female)

boata HB User

Have your doctor check your ferritin and magnesium levels next time you have blood work - especially since you say your are anemic- what is your doctor doing to get your iron levels up? You must have a decent iron level for your thyroid meds to work properly.

Closed Thread