It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

Thyroid Disorders Message Board
Post New Thread   Closed Thread
LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 05-12-2006, 07:37 AM   #1
Inactive
(female)

ttc1asap HB User
Severe deep chest itching and pain

I found out I have Hashimoto's, and have been on different doses of Synthroid since September (my RE took me off it for a month over the winter b/c I went hyper). For a while I have had a weird deep itch in my chest on the right side. I think I had this before Synthroid. I often feel pain throughout my chest - not like a heart attack, just a constant pain, and like my chest is really weak. The itch is real intense and constant, and feels like it's my right lung, and I can't "get to" to the itch. It will last several minutes but I only get it once a week or so.
I had an EKG last year because of throbbing bad pains on my right side (along with 3-month long hives) but it was fine, and I never had the bad pains on my left side, except a few faint ones inches above my heart. I was thought to have acid reflux (poss from thyroid problem undetected @ the time) and an allergy to Amoxicillin (all my sinuses were filled at the time). I now think the hives were related to the Hashimoto's.
Since I still feel crappy and have not yet found the right Synthroid dose (or medication maybe) I'm thinking these pains and the itch are just b/c overall my body isn't working right and things are going goofy.
Has anyone else had that kind of itch and chest pain?
TIA

Old 05-12-2006, 09:45 AM   #2
Senior Veteran
(female)

midwest1 HB Usermidwest1 HB Usermidwest1 HB Usermidwest1 HB Usermidwest1 HB Usermidwest1 HB Usermidwest1 HB Usermidwest1 HB Usermidwest1 HB Usermidwest1 HB Usermidwest1 HB User
Re: Severe deep chest itching and pain

The first symptom I had that was bad enough to see a doctor for was chest pressure that I thought indicated heart disease. It landed me in the ER and on to a cardiologist for a stress test and cardio workup. I soon figured out it was my thyroid; then I had to convince a doctor of it.

The itching started a couple years before that. Like yours, it's an intense, deep, unscratchable itch in the area of my neck in front of my thyroid. I still get it occasionally, even though I'm being successfully treated, and recently it moved down an inch or two to my collarbone area. I take a homeopathic remedy for it that works wonders.

I attribute the itch to TPO antibodies. They may be at work on you. They are a major cause of hives. Taking 100 mcgs of selenium per day may decrease them and bring some relief. Selenium would be a very smart idea for you, since your TTC. TPO antibodies can interfere with conception, cause miscarriage and premature birth.

Last edited by midwest1; 05-12-2006 at 09:47 AM.

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 05-12-2006, 11:12 AM   #3
Inactive
(female)

ttc1asap HB User

I have been taking 200mcg Selenium for over a month. Hoping it helps!
I haven't had that itch for a few weeks. I did read Selenium can help lower antibodies, so I'm hoping that it helps me ASAP. I'm afraid I'll never be able to conceive the way I'm feeling, and the idea of antibodies attacking my immune system scares me b/c how will my body ever let me conceive?
If I'm always fighting them off won't there still be some to attack anything related to forming a child, KWIM? Aaaarrrgghhh, I'm so confused.
When I first had a thyroid panel done in September my TgAB was elevated (105, s/b <20) but my TPOab was normal @ 18 (s/b <35). My TSH, FT4, T3, and T3 uptake were elevated also.
May I ask what kind of homeopathic remedy you're taking? Or is it a complicated one from your homeopathic practitioner? I was thinking of seeing an osteopath to overhaul my immune system (and overall health) and would love to see a homeopath, acupuncturist, the works but that's a lot of $.

Old 05-12-2006, 01:51 PM   #4
Senior Veteran
(female)

midwest1 HB Usermidwest1 HB Usermidwest1 HB Usermidwest1 HB Usermidwest1 HB Usermidwest1 HB Usermidwest1 HB Usermidwest1 HB Usermidwest1 HB Usermidwest1 HB Usermidwest1 HB User

It's good that your TPOs aren't high. They are specifically the ones that cause fertility and preg trouble. They're also the only ones that can be lowered with Se. Nothing helps lower Tg ABs. You shouldn't worry as much about TTC in your situation, but you still need to get your FTs, especially FT4, up to the upper third of their ranges. Lowering TSH will only help if the FTs rise at the same time.

I'm new to homeopathy. Frankly, I'm a logical sort who never thought I'd go for the controversiality [Is that even a word?!] of alternative medicine. But I absolutely dread the idea of Big Pharma medicine, and refuse to take most of that stuff, so what did I have to lose by trying HP?

From what I gather, it works best with the guidance of a practitioner who knows how to tailor the remedy to your individual physical, psychological, and personality makeup, so I'm not sure what he gave me would work for you. It's Sepia 12x, if you would like to try it. I buy it from him, but I suppose health food stores that carry HP remedies might have it to sell.

You know what I like so much about this style of medicine? When I told him about this terrible itch, he didn't pooh-pooh it like mainstream MDs would, didn't shrug his shoulders or say to use a different soap... Didn't reach for a Rx pad to scribble the name of a $90 tube of something to smear on it. He looked contemplative for a minute, then said, "Interesting. That's right over your thyroid." Like it made perfect sense to him. He's a gem.

Old 05-12-2006, 06:23 PM   #5
Inactive
(female)

ttc1asap HB User

Hmm I had never heard that about TPOabs and infertility. I would think that since my body is still "off" that I can't get pregnant til I get to the right level ~ where I feel healthy and normal, of course.
Hmmm so I should just give up the Selenium? I don't want to take more supplements than I have to!
I am kind of confused - when I was originally tested in September my TSH, TgAB, FT4, FT3, and T3 uptake were all elevated. The TgAB was 105 and they said it should be under 20. The other ones I mentioned were elevated but I don't think real high. So what does that mean?
I would love to try homeopathy. The more I read about that and other non-traditional stuff the more they make sense. I am considering an osteopath Mary Shoman mentions in her books - he concentrates on healing the entire body. I really need an overhaul on my whole immune system. I would love to get acupuncture along with some chiropractic treatment and massage to get everything aligned properly and flowing.
That's great that your doc didn't brush off things you said - I would love to find someone like that!

Old 05-13-2006, 08:54 AM   #6
Senior Veteran
(female)

Well... If you can stand taking one more pill, keep taking the Se. You do have some TPOs, and the titer could theoretically get even higher. In a healthy person, there would be none at all, or at least, less than 2. You don't need the trouble they can cause at higher titers.

Besides that, Se helps convert T4 to T3. Most people have at least a small degree of trouble with conversion.
It's beneficial for other organ systems besides thyroid, too. It's thought to be useful in preventing certain cancers. It's a common dietary deficiency, due to the agricultural practices in the US and Canada.
It can't hurt, unless you take 10 or 20 times more than needed.

Old 05-13-2006, 09:09 AM   #7
Inactive
(female)

ttc1asap HB User

Thanks for your help!

Old 05-13-2006, 09:21 AM   #8
(female)

daisy01 HB User

just a thought!

can you be certain that it was hives and not shingles? Shingles can last for 3 months sometimes more and still leave an itchy/stingy type sensation for a long time afterwards.
shingles blisters usually run in a straight line and can be anywhere on the body particularly on your chest.
people with compromised immune systems are said to be particularly at risk from developing it.
you would of course had to of had chickenpox at some stage during your life to develop shingles though.
I am sorry I cant comment on the antibodies etc as I am still learning about all of that lol but glad to see the others are helping you with that.

take care

Closed Thread