It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

Thyroid Disorders Message Board
Post New Thread   Closed Thread
LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 05-12-2006, 03:56 PM   #1
(female)

TEEEB HB User
Is thyroid calcification a big deal?

Hello everyone,
My current diagnosis is multinodular goiter and my latest blood work came back in range. The FNA was clear and 1st endo told me, "I don't know what's causing all of your symptoms, I can only say it's not your thyroid," and sent me on my way.

FT4 1.11 (.8-1.8)
TSH 1.276 (.4-5.5)
Total F3 169 (60-181) Why he would do a Total T3 and not a Free T3 is beyond me.

Well... new doctor seems interested by the calcification of my thyroid and is pursuing the ATPO antibody test. I'm glad he's keeping an open mind about the possibilities... but I'm wondering if having calcification is that big of a deal???
Thanks for your help!

Old 05-12-2006, 04:17 PM   #2
(female)

carroc HB User
Re: Is thyroid calcification a big deal?

I'm a bit confused about the calcifications myself. All I know is that my Endo saw the calcifications on my ultrasound and used this piece of information to add to the fact that I should have my thyroid removed ASAP.

Wish I could be more help.

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 05-12-2006, 07:31 PM   #3
Senior Veteran
(female)

illmakeit HB User

Hi TEEEB,
The radiologist report on my thyroid ultra sound said calification was an indicator of POSSIBLE thyroid cancer - so I was SURE I had cancer and had the whole thing out (1st surgeon said 1/2 - 2nd said to be safe all - you don't want to do it twice). Well......I had it all out, and DO NOT have cancer. The surgery and recovery were a breeze. I would only have half out, if I had to do it over again and then remove the other 1/2 if it was cancer. The major 3 types of Thyroid cancer is VERY slow growing and VERY curable. I think only about 5% of people with nodules have cancer and close to 100% survive. They can do a FNA and sometimes tell if it is cancer. BTW - my labs were perfect too.

Take care.

Old 05-13-2006, 08:02 AM   #4
(female)

lfr HB User

I had major calcification (just had tt 4/21) which caused the pathology report to take about one week longer than usual........the nurse at the surgeon's office asked the pathologist "what does that indicate?" regarding the calcification. The pathologist's answer was "nothing". Turns out everything was benign.....but did show lymphocytic thyroiditis.......that being said, my surgeon explained to me that calcification doesn't indicated anything in particular...... just that you have calcification.......!

I have noticed that different drs. tend to give different answers....but thought I'd share what the pathologist told us.

Closed Thread