It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

Thyroid Disorders Message Board
Post New Thread   Closed Thread
LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 05-15-2006, 11:46 PM   #1
(female)

christine25 HB User
Environmental Toxcity and thyroid problems

Hi I wanted to know if anyone feel they have suffered from enviromental toxicity related to having a thryoid condition.

I became thyroitoxic after taking a supplement called Trace Minerals concentrace, that contained heavy metals, and arsenic, uranium, lead, mercury and humic acid, all chlornated. Derived from the great salt lake in Utah. They sell it in health food stores. Their website is [ REMOVED ]

My TSH went up and I developed thyroid antibodies after I started taking the chemicals "or mineral supplment" Aparantly the minerals are mixed in with rock and coal and ground up and mixed with water and then strained and then treated with chlorine, and packed up and put into bottles for sale.

I called the FDA, and poison control center, and the company itself, and it seems like im just a little fish in the seawater,,, the FDA said they have had some complaints, but that they would need me to get an analysis of the product and see it contains hazardous substances, if they are to go through the process of banning it. It is very hard to go after a company and Also the tests to get an analysis done are 1,000$ of dollars. I cant afford that.

None the less, the damage is already been done to my thyroid and I wonder if anyone else has experinced some form of enviromenal, or chemicaly induced thyroid condition like mine.

It would be nice to feel not so alone, and to hear other peoples stories at least. I think that would help me a lot.

Also if anyone has any ideas about it let me know.

CHristina

Last edited by moderator2; 05-16-2006 at 07:49 AM. Reason: please do not post commercial websites for any reason

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 05-16-2006, 05:40 AM   #2
Senior Veteran
(female)

Reece HB UserReece HB UserReece HB UserReece HB UserReece HB UserReece HB UserReece HB UserReece HB UserReece HB UserReece HB UserReece HB User
Re: Environmental Toxcity and thyroid problems

I thought thyroitoxic meant that you had too much hormone---meaning your TSH would be very low, as opposed to high?

Sorry, I don't know enough to help you, but these cause and effect with health issues, any health issue, are pretty tough to prove.

It could be that you always had a subclinical thyroid disease, and this triggered an episode???? What does your doctor think? That's probably the only person who can help you prove anything to a government agency, unfortunately.

I hope you get everything under control so that you feel good.

Old 05-17-2006, 10:13 AM   #3
Senior Veteran
(female)

elmhar HB Userelmhar HB User

Wow, sorry to hear you went through this, Christine.

Don't give up on the FDA. If they get enough consumer complaints, they may act, but they won't act on one or two complaints. What you've done here is to remind us of what we should all do in such circumstances. Great example.

There are many environmental goitrogens that can precipitate or directly cause thyroid dysfunction. Some of these are "natural" elements & compounds, others man-made. Eduardo Gaito is a scientist who has written extensively on the subject.

Unfortunately, the current practice of medicine in the USA tends to avoid confronting larger social issues that contribute to illness. Environmental goitrogens are just one example.

There are many folks who suffer mercury-induced thyroid malfunction, due to leaking amalgam fillings. Other heavy metals can also contribute, as you have discovered.

Chlorine is ubiquitous in our environment, as are fluoride & bromine. Halogenated compounds (of chlorine, fluoride, and bromine) are in our food, air, and water. On our clothing, furniture, and carpets. It's hard to escape, but possible to reduce stress on the thyroid by eliminating these compounds as much as possible from our homes at the very least.

I myself suffered fluoride intoxication due to frequent dental procedures using high concentrations of fluoride. I was also iodine deficient, which is not the rule in the USA, but does occur w/an estimated prevalence of 12.5% of the population. Exposure to halogens under conditions of iodine deficiency is doubly damning ... if iodine receptors throughout the body (60% in thyroid gland) are replete, the halogens are more likely to be excreted than to make mischief.

Which brings me to a question -- how long ago did the poisoning occur? Over time, your body may be able to remove some of these toxins. But you are probably correct about the damage to your thyroid gland.

Best wishes.

Old 05-17-2006, 10:01 PM   #4
(female)

christine25 HB User

[QUOTE=elmhar]Wow, sorry to hear you went through this, Christine.

Thank you so much, the validation is wonderful, I feel like no one believes me somtimes and feel so alone in all this.

There are many environmental goitrogens that can precipitate or directly cause thyroid dysfunction. Some of these are "natural" elements & compounds, others man-made. Eduardo Gaito is a scientist who has written extensively on the subject.

I will have to read more about his writings, sounds interesting. I agree there are a lot of environmental goitrogens, natual and man made, coal, heavy metals, some foods like cabbage and brocolli, even flavanoids, so far that ive read. I wonder if there is a list of foods i should avoid.

Unfortunately, the current practice of medicine in the USA tends to avoid confronting larger social issues that contribute to illness. Environmental goitrogens are just one example.

Yes I agree, current medical practice avoids these topics, and there isnt much scientific stuidies on how to fix the damage once its been done.

Chlorine is ubiquitous in our environment, as are fluoride & bromine. Halogenated compounds (of chlorine, fluoride, and bromine) are in our food, air, and water. On our clothing, furniture, and carpets. It's hard to escape, but possible to reduce stress on the thyroid by eliminating these compounds as much as possible from our homes at the very least.

Thats funny you should mention chlorine, flouride and bromine,,,im not sure if iodine is included in that category, but those were the top 3 ingredients in the supplement I took and also chloride. They put chloride or chlorine into the liquid to try and purify the minerals/meals, so I guess that means I injested chlorinated haogens, thats not good, I read somthing about it being considered a polychlorinated bifenol (sp?) also.

I myself suffered fluoride intoxication due to frequent dental procedures using high concentrations of fluoride. I was also iodine deficient, which is not the rule in the USA, but does occur w/an estimated prevalence of 12.5% of the population. Exposure to halogens under conditions of iodine deficiency is doubly damning ... if iodine receptors throughout the body (60% in thyroid gland) are replete, the halogens are more likely to be excreted than to make mischief.

Are you ok now? Im sorry that you had to go through that. Im sorry we both had to go through all this. I have come to notice that I am sensitive to flouride in my tooth paste, and also tap water, I am also sensitive to iodine, dairy and iodized salt, seaweed, sushi, and some medications.
I actually have a long list of foods that I react to but those are some of the main ones I have identified, and the iodine, and flouride sensitivity makes sense. Since my thyroid was damaged by those substances, maybe they are bond to receptors of somthing and my body cant recognize them, I read some on how endocrine mimicers can block receptor sites.
My reactions are a metallic taste in my mouth, facial puffiness, jaw puffiness soreness and clicking poping, mucus in throat and throat clearing, depression, anxiety and rapid heart rate when i dont eat.

Which brings me to a question -- how long ago did the poisoning occur? Over time, your body may be able to remove some of these toxins. But you are probably correct about the damage to your thyroid gland.

God I hope so, I hope this goes away, I really do. The poisoning occured about 2 years ago, so im very scared. I dont feel in control, but also I feel scared to eat, because of the facial pain/puffiness and mucus. Im just trying to keep it together, go day to day I guess, is there anything I can do, please help if you know. Chelation? ive read can make it worse?
Should I get any tests done or see any kinds of doctors? Ive seen them all and nothing has really helped. Have you gotten any better, when were you poisioned? Im really depressed right now, feeling like this has lowered my self esteem, I dont feel as attractive and being in pain all the time is wearing me down,,,
Thank you so much for writing me, I dont really have any friends and im trying to take care of myself, my family is divorced and i dont see them, Im a wreck, and scarred I just want to feel good, again.
Ive lost myself it feels like im dying inside.

Thanks for being here.

Christina

Old 05-18-2006, 10:33 AM   #5
Senior Veteran
(female)

Quote:
I hope this goes away ...The poisoning occured about 2 years ago ... I feel scared to eat, because of the facial pain/puffiness and mucus. ... is there anything I can do ... Chelation? ... Should I get any tests done or see any kinds of doctors? Ive seen them all and nothing has really helped. Im really depressed ... being in pain all the time is wearing me down ...
Hi Christina,

Most MDs won't be helpful because your story is fairly unique & it's not the sort of thing they're trained to handle. (I believe there are many, many people like us w/thyroid dysfunction resulting from environmental toxicity, it's just not recognized, as we discussed earlier.) And some of the alternative docs will defend the sort of product that landed you in hot water.

The doctors I've come across in my reading who would find your story credible are Jorge Flechas, Guy Abraham, and David Brownstein. From what I know, they'd be inclined to Rx a detox consisting of VERY high doses of iodine, which has been shown to eventually cause elimination of the imposter halogens & heavy metals. Our bodies were designed to need & use iodine; these docs believe that PCBs, bromine, chlorine, and fluorine compounds bind to iodine receptors in the body & wreak havoc. However, their treatment philosophy is highly controversial, even among alternative practitioners. As I am very sensitive to iodine, I find their work of great interest, but would probably not sign on board myself for the high-dose iodine treatment.

I'm a little shy about IV chelation as I've heard both good & bad. One form of chelation that appeals to me is transdermal glutathione, a cream applied to the body at bedtime, that provides a sulfurous compound our bodies normally use to remove metals. It seems fairly safe & easy to control, though I'm told it's stinky. Not sure it removes halogens -- more of a metals detoxifier. Oral supplements like NAC (N-acetyl-cysteine) boost the body's natural glutathione detox system. A mulitvite w/selenium is good for the detox system as well as for the thyroid. Some people have documented antibody reduction w/selenium supplementation.

Are you on thyroid meds at present, Christine? It's possible that thyroid hormone supplementation may be the shortest route to feeling better. Very often pain & depression accompany low thyroid hormone levels & high antibodies. You can still work on healing & detox issues, while giving your body the hormone it needs to function. The trick is to find a doc who will order free T3 & free T4 testing, and who will also work with you on a symptom-alleviation basis. From personal experience, I highly recommend that you look into medication if your thyroid function is low. T4 & T3 meds (currently Levoxyl & Cytomel) have made a big difference in my level of functioning: reduced pain, increased productivity, brighter outlook.

I've made a number of lifestyle changes to reduce halogen exposure at home, and each of these has been helpful. My fluoride intoxication occurred slowly over 2 decades, during which I was iodine deficient. Over a period of many, many months, I have been able to verrrrry slowly increase my iodine intake to normal levels, and I believe this has been a good thing for me. At present, if I don't get my iodine, my symptoms increase. However, YMMV, and certainly, contemporary medical wisdom is that iodine is very bad for autoimmune thyroid disorders.

I suffer from premature osteoarthritis, fibromyalgia, an autoimmune collagen vascular disease, as well as Hashi's -- all of which I believe are related to heavy metal & halogen toxicity. But I am making progress, so I believe there is hope for you as well!

Best wishes.

Old 05-18-2006, 06:13 PM   #6
(female)

christine25 HB User

P.S. I dont just have TMJ and dental problems, or depression because of tooth ginding, stress or any of the other quack reasons, this literaly happened whithin hours and then months after I took the "supplements" and I truly believe this stems from the halogens, and toxcitiy and that im really tired of people dismissing me and thinking nutty or that its not realted so thank you for being here and for the support, I hope I can get better.

I think avoiding gluten and dairy has helped, im not sure what to eat for a diet tho....

Old 05-19-2006, 10:50 AM   #7
Senior Veteran
(female)

Christine,

I was at a Health Food Store yesterday & saw those Trace Mineral Drops you have been talking about. Sorry to hear you had this terrible reaction to them.

The abstract about Humic Acid mentions that this substance is very common in nature. Thus, when you took these drops, it probably wasn't the first time your body was exposed to Humic Acid. Though of course, the combinination w/the metals was not a good thing.

It sounds like you have taken lots of supplements w/potential to chelate out some of the damage that was done. The process of removing nasties is often not pleasant. It is common for people to feel under the weather when they are doing chelation of any sort.

I find I feel a boost from most of the supplements I take. If something doesn't help, I don't waste my $$ on it. I would caution you to be moderate in your intake of Vitamin A supplements.

There are many natural goitrogens like Humic Acid in nature, in foods. The point is, a functioning thyroid gland can cope with them. There are various lists of goitrogenic foods but most of them are very healthful fruits & vegetables. Avoiding all of them is probably not healthy, either. By trial & error I've discovered the ones that affect me the most. Cooking inactivates some goitrogens. I've given up most raw broccoli, but am fine with modest amts of the cooked vegetable.

If you are on GF diet, you may want to check how much tapioca starch you are getting, as it is a common ingredient in GF flours & breads. Many of the GF starches are routinely bleached (halogenated), but tapioca contains goitrogenic substances as well. Endemic goiter is very high in areas of the world where cassava (tapioca) is the major dietary starch. And you may not see tapioca on the goitrogen lists, as it is not a major part of the std American diet.

If you are dairy-free, rice milk has less goitrogenic potential than soy milk. Soy is one of the most potent goitrogens, and it is easy to get a lot of it.

I do get your point about blood tests not showing everything & problems being more on a cellular level than on a glandular level. Science/medicine is in its infancy of understanding the extrathyroidal cellular aspects of thyroid disease.

I'm wondering whether the T3 & T4 levels you quote are free hormone levels? Those are the important ones. TSH levels say as much about your pituitary function as they do about your thyroid function, not the best guide. And total (vs. free) T3 & T4 numbers can be deceiving for all sorts of reasons, not the least of which is the confounding factor of binding globulins. One can have normal total T hormone levels, with poor levels of free hormone. So, if you haven't had your frees tested recently, those are the definitive tests. If they are normal, it is possible the source of your swelling & other symptoms lies elsewhere.

Have you had your cortisol levels checked? Facial swelling is common in Cushings' Disease, a problem of cortisol excess. As you know, cortisol must be in balance with other endocrine hormones, including thyroid. Too much, or too little cortisol, can really have an effect on T hormone uptake at the cellular level. Certain herbs & glandular supplements can also cause cortisol excess.

Collagen vascular diseases are the province of Rheumatology. Most rheumies take patients by referral from PCPs. Rheumatology is a very complex field, encompassing a wide variety of disorders & treatments. IVIG is successfully used to treat certain collagen vasc diseases, but not all of them.

The term "myxedema" is associated with "coma" in the minds of many MDs. That is, they look for the most serious presentation, not the more minor forms. In the earlier stages, myxedema may be accompanied by a pretibial swelling/accumulation of mucin. You may want to ck that. However, excess cortisol can cause somewhat similar swelling.

Best wishes on your studies.

Old 05-21-2006, 03:02 AM   #8
(female)

christine25 HB User

The abstract about Humic Acid mentions that this substance is very common in nature. Thus, when you took these drops, it probably wasn't the first time your body was exposed to Humic Acid. Though of course, the combinination w/the metals was not a good thing.

The drops include chlorine in them making them more mutagenic from what Ive read. And also they are derived from the Emery Coal mine un Utah, which is lardonite intertwined with bituminus coal, which they grind up and soak in vats for weeks, filter the leachate, treat with chlorine and dump into bottles and sell, so basically clorninated coal water extract. Not somthing most people would find themselves drinking every day. I wish I never had taken them, id give anything to go back in time.

Did you ever have facial swelling of mucus in the back of your throat or TMJ? jaw pain. Any of those symptoms. Becayse those are my worse problems.
I also get really weak and tired too.

I dont eat tapioca or gluten free foods,just natural foods not anything processed no cereal or gluten free stuff, I dont drink soy or eat iodine, or red dye.

I also notice I react to metals, and iron oxides, and titanium dioxide in my makeup and skin creams. I cant wear them anymore. Also nickle and cheap jewlery. Also the flouride in my tooth paste. Is my body trying to attack these stubtances do you think? Maybe I have antibodies to metals or similar compounds and thats why I have problems with so many foods.!!

Rice milk gives me facial swelling too, because of the carageean in it and all the sea salt. sea salt, dairy, salt, iodized salt, ive noticed all cause me to get a bitter metallic taste in my mouth and a stomach ache. So do some fruits like apples. Espically the skins of them<

Can you eat dairy? What foods do you eat and what do you drink, Isnt it hard to avoid chlorine and flouride in the water?

I was thinking about getting the TRSAb test, done cause its the only one I havent gotten yet to see if I have blocking antibodies against my thyroid.

My Free levels are smack dab in the middle or normal, and I cant remember I just remember reading them a month ago and seeing that they were right in the middle of the refrence range, and my TSH was 1.0.

Dont have cushings,,,,I get a lot of facial puffiness and the classic hypo face, I dont have elevated cortisol, it is normal in range, not high at all.
So I dont have cushings disease.
Ive read about euthyroid myxedema, and I think thats what I have,
im wondering about mucopolysaccrides and my bodys inability to break them down or why they are being stored in my face hands and feet, and connective tissue in my jaw,,,, im convinced thats what it is but I dont know how to stop it.

I react highly to phenols, maybe I lake the enzymes to break down the condrotin sulfate and hylauronic acid, and it accumulated in my skin and connective tissues attracts water and causes swelling and pain.
I dont know if I have problems, but it said that humic acid does somthing to inhibit sulfatases, and phenols by blocking and binding with them,,,,

What do you think I should do?
And what are your thoughts about my questions, do you have the puffiness at all too?
Your the best help ive gotton so far!!!!
No one else has been as intelligent in there responses.

My friend has the same prob, and she had RAI for graves and she gets the SAME symptoms of face swelling and chemical sensitivity and jaw pain, also i met another girl online with hashis who has the same thing, and they are both way off base. They think its cron intolerance or somthing or that its MSG thats causing all the swelling,,,,shes started her own form about MSG and its like a cult, shes in denial that all 3 of us have the exact same symptoms and have all have thyroid probs, why doesnt she see the connection.

I just want to help myself and get better, thanks for letting me vent, I know you dont have all the answers but it helps to talk with you, because you seem to understand, and I dont have to defend myself or waste time talking about candida or colon cleansing or elimination diets...

She is so stuck on the elimination diet, it was first candida, then gluten, then corn, then, soy theyn salyicates, now peels on fruits, chemicals like perfume, and amines, phenols, and now its MSG,,, I think these are all goitrogens arent they....

Im just frusterated because I want to know if this is somthing automimmnue realted, that if the antibodies go down I will feel better again, or if its that the receptos are blocked, or enzyme processes are being up regulated down regulated or inhibited...and what I can do to fix it.

THere is a scientific explanation for what happened to me I just wish I know what and how to fix it, exactally.

Maybe im not able to break down the proteins in mucus that are sulfated etc, and I need to take something? ahh im going kinda crazy

I def believe the swelling is connected to the mucus cause when I can blow it out I feel way less pressure, I dont have sinuis probs or any allergies already tested neg for all that. Its an environmental response, but it all happened after I started synthroid and went hyper, and the same for my friend??? its like I have all the symptoms of iodism.....
my body cant process or recoginized or organify iodine or somthing,,,,, now.?

Again Thanks for letting me vent!

Write back.

Christina

Last edited by christine25; 05-21-2006 at 03:33 AM.

Old 05-21-2006, 10:19 AM   #9
Senior Veteran
(female)

Gee, Christine,

Your situation has a complexity way beyond my capability to advise. I've sorta given you all I know, but there may be someone else who can help you.

I got mild facial swelling when I tried Rx hydrocortisone (for adrenal fatigue, low cortisol) and also when my free thyroid hormone levels were low.

I've heard of people who have allergic reactions to metals, jewellry, etc. One acquaintance of mine has to be very careful about multivites as some of them have "trace minerals" incl stuff like minute amts of nickel.

As far as avoiding fluoride & chlorine in water, I use reverse osmosis water for all beverage needs & cooking. I have a shower filter to remove chlorine, but there's still fluoride in my shower water. I avoid chlorinated pools & hot tubs. You're right, it's hard to get away from these things entirely, however, I'm probably now getting just a fraction of the Fl & Cl that I used to, and I do feel better. It has been worth the effort for me, but YMMV!

I have heard of people who are phenol sensitive. I believe there is a urine test (organic acids) for it -- in the alt. med domain, not standard allopathic medicine. It's a real pain to avoid phenols, as they are very common in nature & eliminating all of them means that one would exclude many otherwise very healthful fruits & veg from the diet.

I do know that phenols can have a thyroid-inhibiting effect, however people do vary in their ability to break phenols down, and the vast majority of people w/hypoT do not even find it a problem.

I would guess that the average GP doc, even endo, may be at a loss to explain & treat your symptoms. There is an alt. med group of docs (often naturopaths, but a with a special focus) called the American Academy of Environmental Medicine. I have only known one person to be treated by such a doctor ... symptoms were different from yours, and she had to travel a long way for appts. as this is a fairly rare specialty; however, in the end she did receive some helpful information.

Sorry I don't have any more advice to offer. A year ago I was similarly frustrated & in pain, at the end of my rope, with my doc having nothing else to offer me. Keep plugging away, keep researching, and sooner or later you may figure it all out.

Best wishes.

Old 05-21-2006, 02:56 PM   #10
(female)

christine25 HB User

Thanks for your help and talking to me in all this.

So what tests do you think I should get done if any maybe I sholud get my adrenals checked out.
Also I think it could me a vascular disorder of some sort, do you know of any tests I can take for that?

Also, what about this iodine theory about taking massive doses to get the halogens out, where can I read more about it?

How many years did it take you to get better?
Did you have help or did you have to take it upon yourself to get better? Emotional support helps. ITs hard when everyone dismisses you.

I guess im lucky that I dont have to take thyroid medication because my TSH is 1.0 and free levels are normal, but maybe I could have blocking antibodies or thyroid hormone resistance and I need to take tons of meds or somthing, I just dont want to get poisoned.....every time ive taken thyroid meds I actually feel 100 times worse!

Christina

Last edited by christine25; 05-21-2006 at 02:58 PM.

Old 05-21-2006, 07:22 PM   #11
Senior Veteran
(female)

Christine, I am just at a loss as to how to advise you. I really know nothing at all about idiopathic myxedema. So I would be the last person to tell you about tests, etc.

The main "iodine guy" is named Guy Abraham. He has published a few articles on his theory & clinical practice. I believe one came out not too long ago in The Townsend Letter to Doctors and Patients -- an alternative med periodical. BUT since you already know that iodine makes you feel much worse, it could be that your time is better spent elsewhere. Certainly Abraham's ideas are hotly contested & controversial, even in alternative med circles. I myself find his theories interesting, but would not subject myself to his regimen, probably for much the same reasons you would not.

One thought is, you could ask a reference librarian to help you find a specialist in the area of idiopathic myxedema, or to find a research study that is underway on this disease.

I would not say I am completely healed, but I am greatly improved over the course of one year, after two decades of accumulated halogen grief, at a time when I was definitely iodine-deficient, by most any standard. So my progress does give me hope. You are correct about support -- I have a wonderful, loving husband & family.

Best wishes on your quest.

Closed Thread