It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

Thyroid Disorders Message Board
Post New Thread   Closed Thread
LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 05-16-2006, 06:42 AM   #1
Veteran
(female)

cossette2 HB User
colon cleanse

Just wondering if anyone of you have ever done a colon cleanse. I saw an infomercial about it and i just wondered if i do a cleanse how it will affect me with taking synthroid.

Appreciate any info.

Old 05-16-2006, 06:48 AM   #2
Veteran
(male)

adamace1 HB User
Re: colon cleanse

Never tried it, I don't think it would have any effects on you cause your taking thyroid meds. EDIT"o wait are you taking about some kind of pill or something?"

Last edited by adamace1; 05-16-2006 at 06:49 AM.

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 05-16-2006, 08:28 AM   #3
Senior Veteran
(female)

illmakeit HB User

I don't know about affecting your thyroid meds, you should DEFINATELY ask your doctor before you do it.

I had never looked into this until today - sounds scary to me. I looked up reasons for doing it, and also colon cleanse dangers.

One problem is that people who get this treatment may absorb too much water. This could lead to a chemical imbalance in the body, feeling sick to your stomach, vomiting, heart failure and fluid in the lungs.

There is also the risk of breaking the wall of the colon, which could kill you.

As with all supplements, you won't know what you are getting since the Food and Drug Administration doesn't regulate them, so manufacturers can make health claims that aren't supported by solid evidence.

Not for me. If I were going to do anything, I would do it naturally, through my diet. I don't believe all the "reasons" they give you for doing it.

Just my opinion.

Old 05-16-2006, 11:12 AM   #4
(female)

boata HB User

The colon cleanse is one of the most harsh things you can do to your body, especially if you are already struggling with thyroid problems. The infomercials don't tell you that along with the bad things, you also flush the good things. It is difficult to get your colon back to a "neutral" level after a harsh cleanse. Instead, I would try this - it takes longer to see the results, but is much healthier - up your fiber to 25-30 grams a day - eat lots of leafy green veggies and start eating beans, sprouts, lots of fruits and healthy veggies. Use only olive oil - no vegetable or corn oil. Cut out sugar. If you do this for two weeks, you will notice that your bowel movements become more normal (2-3 small movements a day) This is a sign of a healthy bowel system. A cleanse will only take care of a symptom of what is really wrong - and after the cleanse you will go back to whatever was going on before.

Old 05-16-2006, 11:37 AM   #5
Senior Veteran
(female)

illmakeit HB User

Boata makes sense. I would gradually increase it, I wouldn't all of a sudden load up on a lot of fiber. The sugar you can cut out. You don't need it.

I read that anything that affects your digestion speed or speed of absorption of items into the stomach can have an effect on your absorption of thyroid hormone. You need to be consistant with your diet. I don't eat fiber until at least 4 hrs after my meds now. Hypo people have slow digestion. I guess that is why we get constipated. The supplements of fiber are not supposed to work well for hypos.

Anyone else?

Old 05-16-2006, 12:31 PM   #6
(female)

daisy01 HB User

In my opinion ..................my bum is made for things to come out of not for things to go into.

I have had a necrotic bowel with septacaemia, it was the most horrendous thing I have ever suffered. I very nearly died into the bargain, so I would be extremely careful about having this procedure due to the real risk of a damage to the delicate bowel wall lining. if you get a tear or perforation then the natural bacteria that lives in the bowel will enter the bloodstream. these bacteria whilst harmless living in the gut are life threatening anywhere else.
The bowel does not like any sort of intrusion and will actually slow down which would cause constipation and possible impaction particularly in a hypothyroid patient.
A good diet with lots of fresh fruit and vege coupled with plenty of clear ffluids will keep the colon clean, anyway as with any health issue there are no quick fixes.

I think the risks in colon cleansing far outweigh any possible benefits
but as I said, its just my opinion
take care

Old 05-16-2006, 03:28 PM   #7
Veteran
(female)

cossette2 HB User

Thanks all for your responses! I'll consider increasing the fiber gradually for now as I'm already drinking lots of water each day and eating lots of fresh fruit and vegs and whole grains.

Old 05-17-2006, 10:29 AM   #8
(female)

also2tired HB User

Are you all talking about the same thing? I have heard about 2 different types of colon cleansing. One type involves supplements, fiber, etc. (I don't really know for sure) and usually goes along with a juice fast. The stuff you take somehow binds to the grime in your intestines (like the slippery stuff in a clogged pipe), and somehow helps remove it to allow your system to flow more regularly. The other type of colon cleanse involves flushing the colon out with water from the "other end." I would imagine that everything in your gut, good and bad, gets removed from either procedure.

I had a friend recommend a colon cleanse to me, and she told me that it would do wonders for fatigue, etc. I never tried it, though, because I just have to eat. I don't think I would make it three or four days on juice alone unless I went to bed and didn't have to function! As it is now, if I go more than four hours or so without eating, I am jittery, somewhat dizzy, emotional as heck, can't concentrate, very irritable, etc. Since my blood sugar is normal, my doctor said it is probably from adrenal fatigue. Anyway, I hear tons of good stuff about colon cleansing from people in herb stores. They say it gets rid of toxic things in your body which make you feel so bad, etc. The people who have done it never mention bad effects from it... Would either method be more prone to damaging the intestine? I wonder if your thyroid medication would be absorbed or washed away while doing a cleanse...

Which methods are you all specifically talking about?

Old 05-17-2006, 03:31 PM   #9
Veteran
(female)

cossette2 HB User

Quote:
Originally Posted by also2tired
Are you all talking about the same thing? I have heard about 2 different types of colon cleansing.
Which methods are you all specifically talking about?
Thanks for your response also.
The one I'm referring to is called Colonix my drNatura. I found it on the web and the testimonials are amazing! They recommend you do the 3 month cleanse the first time you do it as you have decades of stuff accumulated in there. Then they say you could do the one month once a year or so after that. You take capsules and drink a special tea as well as take the fiber provided in the kit and you're not fasting, but they say you should eat good foods when you're on it and stay away from stimulants, etc. I'm like you also. I couldn't do it if i could only have juices as i need protein and at least 3 meals per day.....I too suffer from adrenal fatigue, but getting some relief with the adrenal supplement I've been on since last fall.
I'm still researching the whole colon cleanse idea and checked out another product at a local health food store today. For now I picked up a special fiber mixture from the store which you mix with water. Tried it and it doesn't taste too bad.
The colon cleanse sounds good as I've battled constipation for over 15 years and never feel quite empty when i go to the bathroom and I take a number of vitamins and wonder how well they're being absorbed if my system is clogged. Also the adrenal support has improved my energy level considerably, but i just wonder if cleansing my colon would improve it even more.

Old 05-18-2006, 06:17 AM   #10
Senior Veteran
(female)

midwest1 HB Usermidwest1 HB Usermidwest1 HB Usermidwest1 HB Usermidwest1 HB Usermidwest1 HB Usermidwest1 HB Usermidwest1 HB Usermidwest1 HB Usermidwest1 HB Usermidwest1 HB User

I've viewed those websites that sell products that supposedly clear "decades of accumulated stuff" from one's system... complete with the disgusting photos of ropy, green material that their herbal products produce. I simply don't believe that anything like that is present in a normal bowel. It's fantasy.

For one thing, when a person preps for a colonoscopy, it cleans the bowels slick as a whistle, but certainly no ropey green stuff passes then... just the residue of food eaten in the past 48 hours. The MD doesn't see "accumulated stuff" during the exam. He sees only clean, pink tissue. This is documented by photos taken during the exam, witnessed in some cases by the patient him/herself.

I certainly wouldn't want to talk you out of anything that makes you feel better. I just want you to look at the issue logically before you spend the money. I also worry about proper absorption of your Synthroid during the process.

Old 05-18-2006, 06:30 AM   #11
Senior Veteran
(female)

illmakeit HB User

Midwest is correct about what I saw during my colonoscopy. Pink tissue - and when I had to do the prep it was all the same stuff that is normally in a BM. Nothing green.

IMO, diet is the best way to keep your body functioning correctly. Some of the Meds/Vitamins/minerals/supplements people take actually cause constipation. Are you taking anthing besides Synthroid?

Closed Thread