It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....



Thyroid Disorders Message Board
Post New Thread   Closed Thread
LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 05-19-2006, 01:28 PM   #1
Senior Veteran
(female)
 
Join Date: Apr 2006
Location: oswestry england
Posts: 1,614
pursie HB User
opposite effects?????

wats going on only a short mess i promise but can anyone explain this????????

my levels were 4..... i was given thyroxine 25 it was tomuch so i reduced down and i was only on it for one month!!!!!!
while i was on it my levels were 8......
i started feeling a little bit tired again after 2 weeks so i tried it again ive started on a qaurter of a tablet and its made me loads more tired and more hair loss i started on alittle dose as i had palps on 25 it feels like it has made the symptoms worse is it possible for levo to do that have the opposite effects????????please help me someone i really really need som good advice i wanna get it right either way does anyone think it should try not having it for a good few months and see how it gos would it be dangerouse to stop it at such a small dose?????????

 
Old 05-19-2006, 02:50 PM   #2
Veteran
(female)
 
Join Date: Nov 2005
Location: Texas, USA
Posts: 458
hyperkim HB User
Re: opposite effects?????

What does your dr think?

I don't know anything about using T4 replacements. I have read though that some people have problems with certain brands, not the T4 itself. Each brand, including generics use different compounds and inert ingredients to make up the pill form. So it could be the "other" ingredients in the pill that are effecting you. If the lab number you were giving in your post was for TSH then it seems you do need some replacement.

You might ask your dr for a different T4 med. Or ask your pharmacist for a different generic. Just a thought
__________________
Hyperthyroidism 11/05
Confirmed Graves Dx 1/06
Adrenal fatigue Dx 8/06
Fibromyalgia Dx 1/08
Chronic Fatigue Syndrome Dx 1/08

 
Sponsors Lightbulb
   
Old 05-19-2006, 11:36 PM   #3
Senior Veteran
(female)
 
Join Date: Apr 2006
Location: oswestry england
Posts: 1,614
pursie HB User
Re: opposite effects?????

Quote:
Originally Posted by hyperkim
What does your dr think?

I don't know anything about using T4 replacements. I have read though that some people have problems with certain brands, not the T4 itself. Each brand, including generics use different compounds and inert ingredients to make up the pill form. So it could be the "other" ingredients in the pill that are effecting you. If the lab number you were giving in your post was for TSH then it seems you do need some replacement.
i would like to not have any for a few months and see what my symptoms are like at thios point without the thyroxine does that make sense??????????
You might ask your dr for a different T4 med. Or ask your pharmacist for a different generic. Just a thought
thanks hyperkim yes i thought i felt much more hypo with meds ???????????? dunno wats going on i have a feeling its gone into remision and i should have stayed off the meds surely yhough if you dont need thyroxine it would just make your system hyper????????? hello to everyone good days to every body lots of love from katpurs xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxi.s.h.t. !!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Last edited by katpurs; 05-19-2006 at 11:39 PM.

 
Old 05-20-2006, 05:02 AM   #4
Registered User
(female)
 
Join Date: Jul 2005
Location: Kent South East England
Posts: 711
daisy01 HB User
Re: opposite effects?????

hi Kat
I agree that it may be the brand you are taking, which company makes yours?
please dont stop and start your meds, I know they make you feel grotty but just as your body is getting used to working right, you then deprive it of T4 and it has to start all over again.

My endo explained to me that if someone has a broken leg then you wouldnt expect them to be able to run a marathon once the plaster cast is removed would you? well its the same when we first start taking thyroid meds. our bodies need time to adapt to functioning properly again. The thyroid meds make your heart rate go up, you are able to take in more oxygen through your lungs, your waste disposal i.e kidneys and liver are working more effectively therefore your body is stressed just by getting well again.
I do know exactly what you are feeling right now hun, your posts could of been mine last year.
My 1st day of taking levothyroxine ended with me calling an ambulance, it felt like I was having a heart attack, chest pains breathlessness my left arm went numb and I couldnt speak. they did an EEG in the ambulance but my heart rate was normal. It just felt abnormal to me having a normal heart rate instead of the 30 bpm I had gotten used to. I have passed out due to low sugar levels, had chest pains and hair loss at every bump up. I am now on 125mcg of levo and on reflection, i didnt know how ill I was pre diagnosis until i began to get well. (does that make sense?)
It has taken me many many months to feel anywhere near normal but persevere with the meds for a while longer. I feel sure you will begin to notice little improvements as the weeks go by.
be kind to yourself

 
Old 05-20-2006, 10:35 AM   #5
Senior Veteran
(female)
 
Join Date: Apr 2006
Location: oswestry england
Posts: 1,614
pursie HB User
Re: opposite effects?????

Quote:
Originally Posted by daisy01
hi Kat
I agree that it may be the brand you are taking, which company makes yours?
please dont stop and start your meds, I know they make you feel grotty but just as your body is getting used to working right, you then deprive it of T4 and it has to start all over again.

My endo explained to me that if someone has a broken leg then you wouldnt expect them to be able to run a marathon once the plaster cast is removed would you? well its the same when we first start taking thyroid meds. our bodies need time to adapt to functioning properly again. The thyroid meds make your heart rate go up, you are able to take in more oxygen through your lungs, your waste disposal i.e kidneys and liver are working more effectively therefore your body is stressed just by getting well again.
I do know exactly what you are feeling right now hun, your posts could of been mine last year.
My 1st day of taking levothyroxine ended with me calling an ambulance, it felt like I was having a heart attack, chest pains breathlessness my left arm went numb and I couldnt speak. they did an EEG in the ambulance but my heart rate was normal. It just felt abnormal to me having a normal heart rate instead of the 30 bpm I had gotten used to. I have passed out due to low sugar levels, had chest pains and hair loss at every bump up. I am now on 125mcg of levo and on reflection, i didnt know how ill I was pre diagnosis until i began to get well. (does that make sense?)
It has taken me many many months to feel anywhere near normal but persevere with the meds for a while longer. I feel sure you will begin to notice little improvements as the weeks go by.
be kind to yourself
hi daisy thankyou so much youre a star and thanks for the anwers on my other boards youre very kind to people on the board i should amagine a lot of people pesster you!! lol i didnt take it this morning and i felt better all day? i know i cant expect to get a true feeling for one day and everything you said makes perfect sense but i want to not have anything for a few months and see exactly whats going on without the meds????? you never know i might have had a jolt to send me into remmision?????? also i was feeling much more hypo on the meds probably because it wasnt the right dose and that can make things worse i think??????? the thing is i went up to 8 on meds and i was 4 without them perhaps its a case of 2 steps forward and one back ill be looking for you next bloods!!!! lol i hope you are ok aswell im looking at everyones old posts slowly so i can work everyone out thanks for being a freind lots of love from katpursxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx thanks for your time it means olot to me xxxxxxxx i.s.h.t. !!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

 
Old 05-20-2006, 10:59 AM   #6
Registered User
(female)
 
Join Date: Jul 2005
Location: Kent South East England
Posts: 711
daisy01 HB User
Re: opposite effects?????

hiya again kat,
hope you are ok and the weather in your part of the uk is better than mine, so much for it being called sunshine corner eh? its blowing a gale and persisting it down with rain lol.
when you 1st take your levo then your TSH drops rapidly, then as your body needs more it rises again, hence the need for a bump up. Have you tied splitting your pill? take half in the morning and half in the eve ( i did 6am then 6pm) it did seem to help me.
I stopped taking mine for 6 weeks as I thought I felt better off it than on it. I really wished I hadnt!!! The crash was horrendous the symptoms came rushing back and some more I hadnt had before, so be very careful hun. xx
Once your thyroid starts to die off, there is no way it will get better all by itself. there is a temporary thyroid disorder but that only occurs during and after having a baby.
maybe you have developed a food intolerance, they are more common in people with a thyroid disorder you know.
Take your meds and keep a food diary to see if there is a possible link. Foods with soya in them can affect you as well as products that use bleaching agents, ie white flour, white sugar, table salt. I have given up all of these and feel better.
take care

 
Old 05-20-2006, 12:19 PM   #7
Senior Veteran
(female)
 
Join Date: Apr 2006
Location: oswestry england
Posts: 1,614
pursie HB User
Re: opposite effects?????

thanks daisy yes do you yhink i should continue even though i missed todays???????????
i feel rather dizzy !!!!!!!
i was ging to take it slowly till i reach 25 as straight on to 25 makes me palpy do you think i should start on my qaurter tom and go up to 25 over the next few weeks!!!!!!!! ?????? please can you reply straight away daisy i really value your advice i was just thinking i was only boderline to start with and i thought it might go bac to that if i stay off the meds???????? some people dont need treatment at 4..... do they??????? i thought you could try to stick to a good diet and i wondered do some people who havent got thyroid problems sometimes dip to this low levels sometimes ?????????lots of love kat please talk to me daisy thanks dont feel good tonigt dizzy!!!!! xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx xxxxxxx

 
Old 05-20-2006, 01:17 PM   #8
Registered User
(female)
 
Join Date: Jul 2005
Location: Kent South East England
Posts: 711
daisy01 HB User
Re: opposite effects?????

I hope I'm not too late and missed ya kat, I was having a long soak in the bath.
give the half of 25mcg at 12 hrly intervals a shot hun, I think you should keep on taking it. If you were borderline when diagnosed then the only way the thyroid will go is to get worse, it wont get better.
your dizzy spell may be the start of a crash, go to bed and set your alarm for 6 am in the morning and take your meds. leave it at least 1 hr before you eat too.
keep in touch hunni, let me know how your doing tomorrow
sleep well
ps you may not in fact be having palps, it may be your heart is running at a better pace than before. it just feels palpy thats all xxxxx

Last edited by daisy01; 05-20-2006 at 01:19 PM. Reason: I forgot to add

 
Old 05-20-2006, 01:31 PM   #9
Senior Veteran
(female)
 
Join Date: Apr 2006
Location: oswestry england
Posts: 1,614
pursie HB User
Re: opposite effects?????

Quote:
Originally Posted by daisy01
I hope I'm not too late and missed ya kat, I was having a long soak in the bath.
give the half of 25mcg at 12 hrly intervals a shot hun, I think you should keep on taking it. If you were borderline when diagnosed then the only way the thyroid will go is to get worse, it wont get better.
your dizzy spell may be the start of a crash, go to bed and set your alarm for 6 am in the morning and take your meds. leave it at least 1 hr before you eat too.
keep in touch hunni, let me know how your doing tomorrow
sleep well
ps you may not in fact be having palps, it may be your heart is running at a better pace than before. it just feels palpy thats all xxxxx
thanks daisy matey im gonna do that pew why do i feel so hyper without meds going to the loo alot sweating restless and wide open eyes it really weirdlly feels hyper??????????????? also ive only been taking qaurter a pill ill up it to half this week then a whole the week after do you think gradual upping doses is good if sensitive?????????? iv had bad runs lol also oh thanks for all your time daisy check boards for a special mess tom lots of love daisy to you and yours from kat sorry for being a pain i think you should get paid for this you are really good with peoplexxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx xxxxxxxx xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx

 
Old 05-20-2006, 01:33 PM   #10
Senior Veteran
(female)
 
Join Date: Apr 2006
Location: oswestry england
Posts: 1,614
pursie HB User
Re: opposite effects?????

Quote:
Originally Posted by daisy01
hiya again kat,
hope you are ok and the weather in your part of the uk is better than mine, so much for it being called sunshine corner eh? its blowing a gale and persisting it down with rain lol.
when you 1st take your levo then your TSH drops rapidly, then as your body needs more it rises again, hence the need for a bump up. Have you tied splitting your pill? take half in the morning and half in the eve ( i did 6am then 6pm) it did seem to help me.
I stopped taking mine for 6 weeks as I thought I felt better off it than on it. I really wished I hadnt!!! The crash was horrendous the symptoms came rushing back and some more I hadnt had before, so be very careful hun. xx
Once your thyroid starts to die off, there is no way it will get better all by itself. there is a temporary thyroid disorder but that only occurs during and after having a baby.
maybe you have developed a food intolerance, they are more common in people with a thyroid disorder you know.
Take your meds and keep a food diary to see if there is a possible link. Foods with soya in them can affect you as well as products that use bleaching agents, ie white flour, white sugar, table salt. I have given up all of these and feel better.yes fruit veg and meat yuk lol ill have to try harder lol xxxxxxxxx did you feel hyper for a while when first stopping all my puffiness has gone and tired ness xxxxxxxxxxx
take care

 
Closed Thread

Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Board Replies Last Post
Does dosage affect detectable accutane related effects on the brain in experiments? a dude Acne 0 04-22-2010 01:11 AM
what is the opposite of a co-dependent? rosequartz Mental Health 7 11-18-2009 11:58 PM
The Opposite of White Coat zekat High & Low Blood Pressure 1 02-28-2006 01:29 PM
opposite of diabeties.. nikki11 Diabetes 6 03-05-2005 08:37 PM
About the having sex with opposite blood groups ganesh Open to All Other Health Topics 4 01-27-2005 12:13 AM




Thread Tools

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is Off
HTML code is Off
Trackbacks are Off
Pingbacks are Off
Refbacks are Off




Join Our Newsletter

Stay healthy through tips curated by our health experts.

Whoops,

There was a problem adding your email Try again

Thank You

Your email has been added




Top 10 Drugs Discussed on this Board.
(Go to DrugTalk.com for complete list)
Armour
Cytomel
Levothroid
Levoxyl
Potassium
  Synthroid
Tapazole
Unithroid
Xanax
Zoloft




TOP THANKED CONTRIBUTORS



sammy64 (666), midwest1 (627), FinnMaid (308), Reece (224), lisa789 (196), Tree Frog (80), mkgbrook (72), cd37 (56), ladybud (45), Bran'sNana (44)

Site Wide Totals

teteri66 (1164), MSJayhawk (997), Apollo123 (898), Titchou (833), janewhite1 (823), Gabriel (758), ladybud (745), sammy64 (666), midwest1 (665), BlueSkies14 (610)



All times are GMT -7. The time now is 08:31 AM.



Site owned and operated by HealthBoards.comô
Terms of Use © 1998-2014 HealthBoards.comô All rights reserved.
Do not copy or redistribute in any form!