It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

Thyroid Disorders Message Board
Post New Thread   Closed Thread
LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 05-30-2006, 05:56 AM   #1
(female)

ginger3130 HB Userginger3130 HB User
Too much Synthroid?

My doctor recently upped my Synthroid from .1 to .112 and I think it may be too much. Here is what I have noticed:

When I take .112 I am hungry all the time, sometimes I am downright starving. I have tons of energy, have a very high (unusual) sex drive, talk too much, kind of manic actually. Are these symptoms of too much Synthroid?

So, I went back to .100 and the hunger and unusually high sex drive went away. I'm wondering if I should split both tabs and try for a dose of .106?

How do you know, besides waiting 6 weeks for blood work, if you are getting too much med?

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 05-30-2006, 06:09 AM   #2
Senior Veteran
(female)

Lady50 HB UserLady50 HB UserLady50 HB UserLady50 HB UserLady50 HB UserLady50 HB UserLady50 HB User
Re: Too much Synthroid?

Hi Sheila, My symptoms of overmedication are, increased heartrate, hand tremors, frequent bowel movements, higher temperature in the morning over 98., not being able to sleep well because of higher heartrate.

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 05-30-2006, 06:19 AM   #3
Senior Veteran
(male)

Archie343 HB User

I've been on an increased dose (from 200 to 225) for about 3 weeks now and the only changes I've noticed are I'm more sensitive to heat and my hair has stopped falling out. I'm not aware of any change in appetite--for food or sex.

Changing your dose on your own will likely cause confusion when it's time for the next series of labs. Unless and until you start experiencing heart palpitations I'd suggest a return to the 112 doseage.

JMO and YMMV

BTW, what ARE those heart palpitations like? I frequently read about them as dangerous symptoms of hyper but I can't get a grasp on what they feel like.

Old 05-30-2006, 06:34 AM   #4
Senior Veteran
(female)

Lady50 HB UserLady50 HB UserLady50 HB UserLady50 HB UserLady50 HB UserLady50 HB UserLady50 HB User

Hi Archie, Well when I was quite hyper with my T4 being way over the range, the palpitations were constant. It felt like my heart was going to beat out of me. My eyes were very red and dry, many bowel movements throughout the day, burning during urination because of losing calcium.

Never wanna get in that shape again.

Old 05-30-2006, 08:03 AM   #5
(female)

appleofearth HB User

How long have you been on the higher dose? Could it be that your body is still adjusting to it? When I was increased from 50 to 75 recently I was feeling like a total space cadet for about 2 months with dizziness and feeling weird. I'd talk to your GP if you're concerned about it.

Archie: The palpitations I get when I'm a bit hypo feel like my heart is beating harder than normal, I'm suddenly aware of it beating. After 5 or 10 or so it seems to do a little flutter, like 2 halfbeats really fast and then it goes back to normal... Really freaked me out until I worked out what was causing it - changed to a brand that didn't seem to work as well for me so I was going hypo. fun

Closed Thread