It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

Thyroid Disorders Message Board
Post New Thread   Closed Thread
LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 06-03-2006, 02:23 AM   #1
Senior Veteran
(male)

Sco24 HB User
Goitergenic foods / MILLET!? help

so i read MIllet was a goitergenic food. This is horrible because i love a type of Millet bread I make myself.

Does anyone know if Millet loses its goitergenic properties like vegatables do when I bake it in the oven? If so please tell me one way or another, because my tsh has recently gone up and i've been eating a lot of millet. having it at least every other day.

Thanks
scott

Old 06-03-2006, 07:21 AM   #2
Senior Veteran
(female)

midwest1 HB Usermidwest1 HB Usermidwest1 HB Usermidwest1 HB Usermidwest1 HB Usermidwest1 HB Usermidwest1 HB Usermidwest1 HB Usermidwest1 HB Usermidwest1 HB Usermidwest1 HB User
Re: Goitergenic foods / MILLET!? help

Information I find says that millet is perhaps the only goitrogenic food for which cooking actually increases the goitrogenic properties. The sites which say so are commercial, so I can't provide URLs, but they are reputable sources.

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 06-03-2006, 07:13 PM   #3
Senior Veteran
(male)

Sco24 HB User

oh my God... you've just crushed me.... (not a yawn, this is pain)

and my millet bread.

scott

Old 06-04-2006, 05:15 PM   #4
Inactive
(female)

fancis HB User

Sorry, posted under wrong message. Newbie mistake.

Last edited by fancis; 06-04-2006 at 05:17 PM.

Old 06-04-2006, 07:58 PM   #5
(female)

Kharma HB User

I was told if you eat a goitergenic food on a regular basis your meds will be tweaked to compensate for it. I'm not sure I'm explaining this right, but if you've always eaten your bread it's unlikely that alone is why your TSH went up, because you've been medicated for whatever level your TSH would be eating the bread... make sense?

I'm also curious if other people have been told this or am I on drugs?

Old 06-04-2006, 08:26 PM   #6
Senior Veteran
(female)

midwest1 HB Usermidwest1 HB Usermidwest1 HB Usermidwest1 HB Usermidwest1 HB Usermidwest1 HB Usermidwest1 HB Usermidwest1 HB Usermidwest1 HB Usermidwest1 HB Usermidwest1 HB User

I don't think I've ever read anything like that, Kharma. But it's my opinion that that's the way it ought to be. After all, goitrogens are some of the most otherwise healthful foods there are, and I for one refuse to give up what are some of my favorites. I love strawberries, peaches, almonds,peanuts, cabbage, etc., and I eat all of them on a regular basis. If I need a higher dose with them than I would without them, so what? That's how it'll have to be.

Old 06-04-2006, 08:34 PM   #7
(female)

Kharma HB User

I wish I could remember who explained that to me (Dr. or random friend). I'm sorry I can't validate it but I know it stuck in my head because I was worried about the same things. I know for the years my TSH and bloodwork were good I was eating most of the foods you mention - it was after I quit smoking my problems started. Plus extreme stress seemed to kick my hashis up a notch. BAM! LOL

Old 06-05-2006, 08:44 AM   #8
Senior Veteran
(female)

elmhar HB Userelmhar HB User

I do suspect that a major aspect of the "sensitivity to goitrogenic foods" is that a lot of us are undermedicated. A less common, maybe even rare factor, could be inadequate iodine stores in the body ... but, since T4 meds contain iodine, the two factors may be related, not mutually exclusive.

So many of us have trouble getting our meds optimized. It's certainly not the rule that it's easy to find a doc who will Rx what's needed. In time, avoiding some or all foods that flare hypoT symptoms becomes an adaptive mechanism to avoid pain ... at least, that's the way it is for me.

But I AM unhappy doing this, don't think it's overall-wise from a nutrition standpoint.

Old 06-05-2006, 09:11 AM   #9
Senior Veteran
(female)

illmakeit HB User

At first, when I started this "mess" I thought I was never going to be able to eat certain foods again. I was going overboard and made lists of things I couldn't have etc. However, after reading posts from a number of you here (the ones on this thread are some of whom I write) I am eating almost anything I want to - unless they cause me an immediate problem (like almonds did! - but I DID eat a LOT of them!)
Kharma - seems familiar to me too - but I could have been on some weird site

I have learned we are all different in this thyroid tweaking, so unless the millet causes you immediate problems or pain, go for it. I want to help myself and be normal. The surgeon told me I could eat anything afterward with no problem -well, maybe eventually!

GEE - I wonder if I eat a whole bunch of ????? the doc would give me an increase?

Old 06-05-2006, 09:14 AM   #10
Senior Veteran
(female)

illmakeit HB User

Kharma - Just found it on a message board site - like this one so can't say it is "TRUE".

Old 06-05-2006, 02:27 PM   #11
Senior Veteran
(male)

Sco24 HB User

Yeah, i think im going to cut out the Millet. Because my Tsh was aruond the same for a while, maybe slowly moving in the direction of going up. but since adding Millet to my diet the last few weeks, its jumped up quite quickly. But i'll probably stick with flaxseed oil, broccoli and so on just because of the health benefits.

Also my antibodies have gone way down, back to normal range on last test. So i'm trying to see if i can get my tsh back to normal so i can quit the meds completely. We'll have to see how that plays out, but i have high mercury levels i have to get rid of in my body. maybe that will help matters.

scott

Old 06-05-2006, 08:42 PM   #12
(female)

Kharma HB User

Maybe the millet helped your antibodies (teasing)

Old 06-07-2006, 03:31 PM   #13
Senior Veteran
(male)

Sco24 HB User

kharma.

haha, funny.. but maybe?

Closed Thread