It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

Thyroid Disorders Message Board
Post New Thread   Closed Thread
LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 06-05-2006, 02:21 AM   #1
(female)

carroc HB User
Surgery Tomorrow

Dear Friends,

Well, my time has arrived; I go in for my TT tomorrow. I want to thank everybody on this message board for all of the support and guidance you have provided me. I'm still a bit nervous about tomorrow, but I suppose thses types of feelings are normal considering the circumstances.

I'll post again when I'm feeling up to it. However, in the meantime, those of you that have gone through this surgery if you could answer as many of the below questions as possible, I know that I will appreciate reading your responses in a day or two when I am able to boot up the computer again.

1. How did you wash your hair without getting your incision wet? When were you able to shower without worrying about getting the incision wet?
2. When did you feel well enough to eat solid food?
3. How did you sleep the first few nights? Also, did you sleep flat or with your head tilted at some sort of angle?
4. When were you able to cook for yourself?
5. How dependent were you on the pain pills you recieved from the hospital once you arrived home?
6. When did you feel well enough to venture outside...what types of things did you do? How quickly did you integrate your daily activities back into your life?
7. After the surgeon removed the tape from your neck and/or stitches (about a week after surgery),did you wear something to cover the scar? If so what and for how long? Did your doctor recommend you use the silicon tape over the incision to help flatten it? Did you use any other products to help minimize the scar, if so which products do you feel worked the best?
8. A lot of people on this healthboard recommend ice packs to reduce the swelling in the neck after surgery. How many days should I use the ice packs and how frequently do you change them out?
9. When did you feel like you could hold a conversation on the phone? How long could you talk before your voice got tired?

Thank you in advance for any and all input you may have given me on this healthboard today. My surgery is in about 13 hours so I guess I should get some sleep.

Connie

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 06-05-2006, 04:48 AM   #2
(female)

lfr HB User
Re: Surgery Tomorrow

Quote:
Originally Posted by carroc
Dear Friends,

Well, my time has arrived; I go in for my TT tomorrow. I want to thank everybody on this message board for all of the support and guidance you have provided me. I'm still a bit nervous about tomorrow, but I suppose thses types of feelings are normal considering the circumstances.

I'll post again when I'm feeling up to it. However, in the meantime, those of you that have gone through this surgery if you could answer as many of the below questions as possible, I know that I will appreciate reading your responses in a day or two when I am able to boot up the computer again.

1. How did you wash your hair without getting your incision wet? When were you able to shower without worrying about getting the incision wet?
2. When did you feel well enough to eat solid food?
3. How did you sleep the first few nights? Also, did you sleep flat or with your head tilted at some sort of angle?
4. When were you able to cook for yourself?
5. How dependent were you on the pain pills you recieved from the hospital once you arrived home?
6. When did you feel well enough to venture outside...what types of things did you do? How quickly did you integrate your daily activities back into your life?
7. After the surgeon removed the tape from your neck and/or stitches (about a week after surgery),did you wear something to cover the scar? If so what and for how long? Did your doctor recommend you use the silicon tape over the incision to help flatten it? Did you use any other products to help minimize the scar, if so which products do you feel worked the best?
8. A lot of people on this healthboard recommend ice packs to reduce the swelling in the neck after surgery. How many days should I use the ice packs and how frequently do you change them out?
9. When did you feel like you could hold a conversation on the phone? How long could you talk before your voice got tired?

Thank you in advance for any and all input you may have given me on this healthboard today. My surgery is in about 13 hours so I guess I should get some sleep.

Connie

Good luck with your surgery tomorrow. Here are my answers to your questions - I'm sure many answers will vary, but here are mine from my tt on 4/21 of this year.

1. My surgeon told me I could get my incision wet, no problem trying to keep it dry. I first showered and washed my hair the day after my surgery. Maybe this depends on how the incision is closed, I'm not sure - mine was closed with glue and then had strips over it.

2. The night of my surgery, I was given a liquid dinner - broth, jello and ice cream. I had a really bad sore throat and didn't even want to try anything else. The next day I was given a soft diet - I had oatmeal, pasta for lunch and meatloaf for dinner. My throat still hurt pretty bad but I was able to eat it without any problems. I stayed on that soft type of diet for another day or two - and then moved on to eating anything once my sore throat felt a bit better.

3. My surgeon told me to sleep sitting upright, at least a 30 degree angle, for two weeks - to keep swelling down. He also told me not to bend over for the same reason. Anyhow, I slept sitting up - I didn't sleep well the first few nights and was given an Ambien in the hospital (I was there two nights) to help me sleep. It wasn't because I was in pain, I just couldn't sleep for whatever reason. The insomnia lasted the first few nights at home also. But, overall, I had no problems after that sleeping in my semi-sitting position and slpet well after the 3rd or 4th night post-op. At home, I used one of those reading pillows (the ones that are high in the back with arms on each side) and then put my regular pillow over it to make it more comfortable. I slept on my side most of the time, but with my head and shoulders up higher on these pillows. After two weeks I was allowed to sleep flat, but chose to sleep upright with 2 pillows for awhile longer, as sleeping flat caused some pain at my incision site.

4. My husband cooked and brought me food my first two days home, but after that I got my own breakfast and lunches. I cooked for the family several days later. I could have cooked sooner, but I was trying hard to rest up and also trying to enjoy someone else cooking for once!

5. My first day home I took the pain pills around the clocck (Vicodin) and then only when needed....which tended to be late afternoon when I had done too much all day long. I took tylonol a few times during the day but usually didn't even need those. I did take the Vicodin for about 4-5 nights home, as I was sore by the evening time and also they helped me sleep. After day 4-5 I didn't need to take anything for pain.

6. My first venture (besides going to the dr. at day three for some calcium concerns) out was a walk around the block with a friend on day 5, followed by a trip to Starbucks for a coffee. It wiped me out after, but I felt pretty good during the outing. My neck was very stiff and I looked funny probably walking while holding my head so still, but it was great to get out. It took me the full two week time period off of work to really feel like I could go back and function. I drove at day 8 post op to my son's baseball game and sat and watched him for 2 hrs. Once I was back at work after two weeks, I would tire easily but I really didn't have pain.

7. My tape stayed on for 2 weeks until the dr. removed it at my 2 week post-op appt. He told me to wait another week and begin to put the vitamin oil on it. I am using that now, and may add a scar cream down the road. I never wore a scarf. My scar is not raised, just red - very noticeable but it's still sore when touched and it's not comfortable for me to cover it up. I do wear sleeveless mock turtleneck t-shirts when going to my children's soccer or baseball games, as I'm trying to keep the sun off of it. Other than that, I never have the scar covered. I try to put sunscreen on it also on a regular basis since I don't cover it.

8. My personal experience is that I never used ice packs and didn't need them. I had very little swelling, I think because I had two days of IV medicine to reduce swelling. Many people have used the ice packs, I'm not saying don't ask for them. Just my experience that I waited to see if needed, and when I didn't swell, I preferred to not have anything near my neck/incision. I was very surprised at how little swelling I had....I had more swelling from my FNA. That being said, I did have some internal swelling and which has caused some vocal cord problems so I do wish that my I used the ice packs back then also!

9. I tried to talk on the phone the first two days in the hospital and couldn't - I had a lot of voice issues. I know other's didn't, but my voice was very hoarse and it hurt to talk. I tried to stay off the phone for the first week, but did talk at times. I could hold a conversation but tried to keep it short and it hurt when I talked and I was told it was best to rest my vocal cords. 5 min. talking was probably my limit for the first week. I still get tired by mid-afternoon from talking and can't raise my voice like before. My voice is also a bit huskier than before and does get hoarse at times. I notice it's improving bit by bit each day though.

Best wishes for your surgery. Hope this was helpful!

Lisa

Old 06-05-2006, 07:11 AM   #3
Senior Veteran
(female)

illmakeit HB User

Hi Connie!
1. Doc said not to worry about getting it wet - just don't let the shower pound on it.
2. I could have eaten solid food the next day.
3. Slept fine - normally.
4. I didn't have to - cooked before and family & friends brought all kinds of soup over.
5. I took one pain pill - and didn't really need it, but I paid for them and hubby said I ought to take one the first night to make sure I slept ok.
6. It was January in Kansas - COLD outside. 8 days after cooked for neighbor with bad back - cleaned house - crashed next day. Just now getting back to normal due to docs who wouldn't give meds unless TSH said I needed them. I am self medicating now - can't stand this hypo sitting around stuff.
7. I wore nothing to cover the scar-it needed air to heal. Did your doctor recommend you use the silicon tape over the incision to help flatten it? -No. I did not use any other products to help minimize the scar. You can't tell it is there now - I had a natural wrinkle on my neck where they made the incision.
8. Use ice packs as long as you think there is swelling. I used them on and off. They DO get cold! An RN friend suggested this - she works in hospital taking care of people after surgery for thyroidectomy. Said people healed faster with them and also cut down on discomfort.
9. I called my kids from the hospital in the evening on the same day of the surgery, was very tired, so didn't talk long. Next day talked to everyone else normally - never had a problem.

This may be a little late for some of the questions, Hope your surgery goes as well as mine did.
Take care and post when you feel up to it.
Jewel

Old 06-05-2006, 11:52 AM   #4
(female)

kds0 HB User

My surgeon instructed me not to get my incision wet at all so when I got home I was *dying* to wash my hair. Ick. So one of the nurses at the hosptial gave me a great tip. I took some Saran Wrap and wrapped it around my neck covering my incision, then took a towel and wrapped it around that to protect it even more. Then I just washed my hair in kitchen sink. It worked great.

I got out of my surgery and back up to my room around 4:30 pm and was not interested in food at all. Threw up due to anethesia, but the next morning I was very hungry. I was able to eat no problem. Had an english muffin, hard boiled egg, oatmeal, milk, coffee, OJ. Throat wasn't sore but neck was stiff. I had my surgery on a Tuesday and was released on Thursday afternoon - AND I gained 2 pounds eating hospital food. Go figure.

Last edited by kds0; 06-05-2006 at 11:53 AM.

Old 06-05-2006, 12:13 PM   #5
Senior Veteran
(female)

illmakeit HB User

kds0 - your metabolism slows down due to the anesthesia, and it is in your system a while. Probably why you gained a few pounds! I was told to drink a lot of water to help get it out of my system. I was only in the hospital about 24 hrs after the surgery was over, but I know the anesthesia was around a little longer - makes you feel funny. That's why my surgeon prescribed a stool softener for a few days - slows you down in all ways!

I think she's about 5 hours behind me and said she had 13 hrs to go when she wrote this thread - so I figure she's off to the hospital soon, if not already.

Old 06-05-2006, 05:05 PM   #6
(female)

countrycarole HB User

1. I put a large trash bag around my neck and tied it. It worked very well when I washed by hair. The outside of the bag got wet but my incision stayed nice and dry.

2. Immediately after surgery I was given ice chips which felt great going down my sore throat. My surgery was done in the morning so I was given lunch which included clear broth, jello, tea and juice. For dinner I ate tuna salad, biscuit, ice cream. It did take my longer to eat because of the sore throat. The next morning I ate scrambled eggs, roll, juice.

3. I didn't have any trouble sleeping the first night in the hospital because I could elevate the bed so that my head was upright. The first night home I was unable to lay down on my bed so I slept on my very comfortable sofa. I kept my head up a bit (my sofa is very soft leather and the side arms have thick, deep cushions so my head was not very low. I slept fine there. The next night I was able to sleep in my bed but used an extra pillow so that it wouldn't be so low because otherwise I felt a "pulling" sensation in my neck.

4. The first 2 days home my sister did the cooking for me which I was very glad for since my neck did feel stiff and I had a sore throat. However, by the third day I was able to do everything myself and my sore throat went away. My neck was still stiff when I tried to move it from side-to-side.

5. The first night I took only 1 pain pill but I probably could have taken just a Tylenol. That was the only pain pill I took. I really didn't have much pain - just soreness. It just felt like a bad sore throat.

6. My voice was only a little hoarse but otherwise didn't have any problem with that. If I talked too much my voice would get weaker but that was resolved in a few days.

7. The first 4 days after I returned home from the hospital I didn't feel like going outside or doing anything. However, by the 5th day I did drive a little and felt like going outside. I was off from work for 2 wks which was just enough time to recover. When I did return to work, it was very tiring because I was not used to working. This is my 2nd week back at work I am feel fine.

8.My stitches were dissolvable so when I returned to the surgeon in 1 1/2 weeks he just looked at it and said everything looked good. I did buy ScarCare in CVS drug store to put on my scar 2 X day and it worked great. Really helped the appearance. When I went back to work I bought the fleshtone silicone sheet to put on my scar just for vanity sake and also to protect it from the sun and dirt. I am almost 3 wks after surgery and there is a big improvement in the look of my scar. Looks more than a bad scratch.

When you return home from the hospital you will be tired and probably have a sore throat. I ate soft foods (such as mashed potatoes, eggs, ice cream, etc) for 2 days and then I found I could eat whatever I wanted. Try to rest alot because surgery is traumatic and you will need the time to recover. Take care and post again when you feel up to it and Welcome Back !!!!
Carole

Old 06-05-2006, 09:10 PM   #7
(female)

rockylucy05 HB User

Hi Connie!

I know your surgery will go well and you will have a speedy recovery. I have not had a TT so I will not be able to answer yor questions. Good Luck! Please let us know how your surgery went when you are able to.

Cindy

Closed Thread