It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

Thyroid Disorders Message Board
Post New Thread   Closed Thread
LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 06-05-2006, 01:03 PM   #1
(female)

StuckInIllinois HB User
Suppressed TSH explained?

On my last labs, my TSH was suppressed and my Free Ts are right in the middle of the ranges? I feel good, but I know I still can feel even better. I take Armour only. I had some more thyroid and other labs today and this question came up with the doctor. She doesn't have others with the same results on Armour in their office and she seemed to focus on it this visit. I just don't want her to reduce dose when I actually think I could go up another 1/4 grain. Any thoughts on this? Thanks.

Last edited by StuckInIllinois; 06-06-2006 at 11:15 AM. Reason: brain fog: spelling

Old 06-05-2006, 03:41 PM   #2
Senior Veteran
(female)

SHMILY HB UserSHMILY HB User
Re: Supressed TSH explained?

I am having exactly the same problem. When I get my Free T's up, my TSH get suppressed. The same thing happens on most any of the meds. I would be very interested in finding the answer to this problem. I was on Thyrolar for yrs. with free T's in upper 1/3 of ranges and TSH .4 and felt really good. Then some dumb doctor cut my meds in half and then cut them again because he thought I was going hyper with a tsh of .40 (that is a normal range now) and I can't seem to work myself back up without getting hyper symptoms. He said I was overmedicated..........but how can they say you are OVER MEDICATED if you are within the ranges.?

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 06-06-2006, 08:26 PM   #3
(female)

BethanyF HB User

I'm having the same issue. My Free ts are a little high and I probably need to back off a little, but my tsh is always .04 or below even when my free ts are ok and once again, the doc is freakin about it.

Old 06-06-2006, 09:18 PM   #4
Senior Veteran
(male)

Meep HB UserMeep HB UserMeep HB User

You are not alone. The problem is getting your doctor to understand and see the light that it isn't all about TSH.

I am not a doctor, nor have I ever played one on TV...

Last edited by moderator2; 06-06-2006 at 10:27 PM.

Old 06-07-2006, 03:23 AM   #5
Senior Veteran
(female)

MAD MAZ HB User

Hi My TSH and my free t4 has gone down to free t4 in may was 15.5 range (10-22)
my TSH is 0.48 range (0.4-4) I have been feeling ill and have bad headaches also missed 3 peroids, I have had a blood test come back with high prolactin it was over ( 1000) anybody else whos tsh has gone down had a high level of prolactin????
I have beenunder a lot of stress lately and diffierent meds. I am hoping this is why its high and that its not a tumor...... Mandy

Old 06-07-2006, 06:00 AM   #6
Senior Veteran
(female)

midwest1 HB Usermidwest1 HB Usermidwest1 HB Usermidwest1 HB Usermidwest1 HB Usermidwest1 HB Usermidwest1 HB Usermidwest1 HB Usermidwest1 HB Usermidwest1 HB Usermidwest1 HB User

I might've told you, Stuck, that my TSH is suppressed too. Has been almost since I started treatment. Last check it was .03, but my FTs are below mid-range, so my doc is not concerned about TSH in the least.

I'm sure I've read expert theories about why suppressing TSH is safe to do, but I can't come up with any URLs or studies to quote without time-consuming searching. One thing you can tell your doc if she makes noise about it is that thyroid cancer survivors routinely have their TSH suppressed to prevent reocurrence, and they don't have bone or heart problems any more than the general population. As long as the thyroid hormones are kept in range, there will be no such problems.

I hope she behaves herself!

Old 06-07-2006, 06:34 AM   #7
(female)

StuckInIllinois HB User

Quote:
Originally Posted by midwest1
I might've told you, Stuck, that my TSH is suppressed too. Has been almost since I started treatment.
Yes, I do remember there are a few of us with suppressed TSH. Mine started when I switched to Armour and mine is 0.013.
Quote:
I'm sure I've read expert theories about why suppressing TSH is safe to do, but I can't come up with any URLs or studies to quote without time-consuming searching.
I looked around for quite a while yesterday and still don't understand it well, but the lower end has been reduced too over the years. I found it interesting that before the 70's and the TSH test came along, doctors based dosage and treatment on hyper/hypo symptoms only. What a really wonderful treatment plan!!!!
Quote:
I hope she behaves herself!
I hope so too. She's been so good with working with me since January and I admit I feel so very much better since then. I was just scared leaving the office because she just seemed so fixed on the past 2 labs and the TSH. There was no hint of her reducing my Armour, but that's the first thing I kept thinking when she started. If I do find anything worth bringing to her, I will try to post. But today's probably my last chance for a while to look. Have my son's graduation tonight and then off to some lake in the woods in PA with my mom and kids for a week for peace and quiet.

Old 06-07-2006, 09:02 AM   #8
Senior Veteran
(male)

Quote:
I might've told you, Stuck, that my TSH is suppressed too. Has been almost since I started treatment. Last check it was .03, but my FTs are below mid-range, so my doc is not concerned about TSH in the least.

I'm sure I've read expert theories about why suppressing TSH is safe to do, but I can't come up with any URLs or studies to quote without time-consuming searching. One thing you can tell your doc if she makes noise about it is that thyroid cancer survivors routinely have their TSH suppressed to prevent reocurrence, and they don't have bone or heart problems any more than the general population. As long as the thyroid hormones are kept in range, there will be no such problems....
My TSH drops below .01 before my T3 and T4 get high enough for me to feel well.

As far as technical info on TSH being suppresseed, have you read anything Dr. Domisse has written? Great stuff. There's also Dr. Mercola, but he has plagiarized Dommisse's ideas greatly. Either way, thos of us who are suppressed, know that we dont' suffer from it.

Old 06-07-2006, 09:26 AM   #9
Senior Veteran
(female)

midwest1 HB Usermidwest1 HB Usermidwest1 HB Usermidwest1 HB Usermidwest1 HB Usermidwest1 HB Usermidwest1 HB Usermidwest1 HB Usermidwest1 HB Usermidwest1 HB Usermidwest1 HB User

I just remembered... Dr. John Lowe also has written about suppressed TSH.
Look for his paper titled ~
Four 2003 Studies of Thyroid Hormone Replacement Therapies: Logical Analysis and Ethical Implications
and the particular section of it titled ~
Potential Harm From TSH-Suppressive Dosages of Thyroid Hormone
(You could say that part is actually 'mistitled', since he concludes there is little harm.

Old 06-11-2006, 11:32 AM   #10
Senior Veteran
(female)

ticker HB Userticker HB Userticker HB Userticker HB Userticker HB User

This is a great thread, thank you everyone. I am having this problem myself. My TSH is too low, even though I continue to have hypo symptoms and my Free T's are always about mid-range or lower.

Is Hashimoto's Thyroiditis and Hypothyroidism the same? If not, is one harder to regulate than the other?

I am seeing a new doctor tomorrow. Please wish me luck. It has been an endless, uphill battle for me trying to find a doctor who does not treat solely by the TSH. I am going to read the articles mentioned here.

Old 06-11-2006, 04:52 PM   #11
Senior Veteran
(male)

Quote:
Originally Posted by ticker
Is Hashimoto's Thyroiditis and Hypothyroidism the same? If not, is one harder to regulate than the other?
Hypothyroidism is simply a state of not ahving enough thyroid hormones.

Hashimoto's is an autoimmune thyroid disorder that eventually destroys the thyroid gland. As it does this, there may be periods of hyperthyroidism, hypothyoridism and "normal" times, but in the end, because of the thyroid gland being destroyed, hypothyroidism is the result.

Old 06-11-2006, 06:11 PM   #12
Senior Veteran
(female)

ticker HB Userticker HB Userticker HB Userticker HB Userticker HB User

Thank you for the explanation Meep. It sounds like Hashimoto's is like pre-hypothyroidism.

I have Hashimoto's. When I was on 150mg of Armour, my Free T's were still in the low to mid range and I still had many hypo symptoms. I saw a new doctor who told me that my TSH was too low and reduced the Armour to 90 mg! After about four weeks, I really crashed. I had my GP run a thyroid panel and my results were the worse they have been since I started treatment. I upped my dose to 120 mg a couple of weeks ago, knowing I would be seeing the new doctor tomorrow.

Needless to say, I am feeling much worse on the lower dose. I just hope this doctor will consider everything and not only the TSH. My antibodies in 2004 were 52 (0-34) and this January they were 159.

I hope you can get your situation straightened out soon also.

Old 06-11-2006, 06:52 PM   #13
(female)

loveshinesthru HB User

i dont understand suppressed tsh? is that why my tsh is normal and my ft4 and ft3 low normal?

Old 06-11-2006, 11:15 PM   #14
Senior Veteran
(male)

Suppressed TSH means your TSH is LOW. In my case my TSH has to be less than .01 for my T3 and T4 to get high enough to even START to alleviate my symptoms.

Closed Thread