It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

Thyroid Disorders Message Board
Post New Thread   Closed Thread
LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 06-05-2006, 02:08 PM   #1
Veteran
(female)

zosolizard HB User
Synthroid and Alcohol - BAD reaction for me!

Okay, I'll admit it. I enjoy going out to party with my friends. And we like to do shots & stuff... yes, I know it's not healthy for me to begin with

Anyway - I started Synthroid 10 days ago. I went to a bachelorette party Friday night. We drank, did shots....

On Saturday, I couldn't get out of bed. I was so nauseated, dizzy, and sick. My heart was pounding hard and fast. I've never, ever felt so awful in my life. I felt like I was dying.

I just know it has to be due to the mix of alcohol & Synthroid. Because we drank on Memorial Day & I got super sick again!

Has anyone else found this happens to them ? needless to say, I declared Friday night as my "Last Hurrah"!! UGH. It was awful.

Just wanted to share the story & see what anyone else has experienced.

Old 06-05-2006, 02:28 PM   #2
Senior Veteran
(female)

midwest1 HB Usermidwest1 HB Usermidwest1 HB Usermidwest1 HB Usermidwest1 HB Usermidwest1 HB Usermidwest1 HB Usermidwest1 HB Usermidwest1 HB Usermidwest1 HB Usermidwest1 HB User
Re: Synthroid and Alcohol - BAD reaction for me!

Drinking to excess makes people sick... Synthroid or not.

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 06-05-2006, 02:47 PM   #3
Senior Veteran
(female)

illmakeit HB User

Right on , Midwest! Sorry, zosolizard, but it IS the way I see it. That being said, someone on these boards found she could drink about 1/2 what she used to. For me, that would be MAYBE 1 1/2 beers - cause 3 used to be my limit -although usually 1 or 2 - sometimes 1/2 and most of the time none.

Old 06-05-2006, 03:03 PM   #4
Senior Veteran
(male)

Archie343 HB User

It's that occasional but rare overindulgence that makes you sick, not the Synthroid.

Moderate consumption on a regular basis is the way to go.

Old 06-05-2006, 05:52 PM   #5
Senior Veteran
(female)

illmakeit HB User

Oh, Archie!! you

Old 06-06-2006, 06:48 AM   #6
Veteran
(female)

zosolizard HB User

LOL, well thanks everyone!

Actually - I do know what I normally would feel like after over-indulging. And believe me, this was totally, totally different.

But - thanks for the comments & stuff!!

Old 06-06-2006, 12:09 PM   #7
Senior Veteran
(female)

pursie HB User

i believe you zoso!!! it happened to me by the way how old are you?? i had palps and it took days to overcome and yes it was very different and scary! its annoying tis happened when i was 31 im 36 now and i havent really got int the same state sinse wich is hard when we are young as that is what we do at this age!! i feel old for my time and i look old before my time!!!! i had an ecg silly me i told other people it was an mri i dunno anyway the doc said my heart was rappid but there wasnt a seriouse heart condition but believe me when i say its defo not like it used to be i think this illness has made my heart more sensitive and weakened it! i get high anxiety also do you lots of love from katxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx i.s.h.t. !!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Old 06-06-2006, 12:17 PM   #8
Senior Veteran
(female)

sparkie HB User

My opinion is it is probably related to the fact you are hypothyroid, not necessarily the Synthroid. Alcohol is the first thing our body will metabolize and use for fuel, then carbohydrates, fat, and protein. You are probably slow to metabolize since you have been on Synthroid for only 10 days. Kind of like a mega-hangover. I find this interesting because during my hyper phase, I had, um several drinks one evening, with two being my normal, and even that can do me in. The cocktails had absolutely no effect on me whatsoever. No buzz, no hangover, nothing. Sigh, almost a waste.

Old 06-06-2006, 02:31 PM   #9
Veteran
(female)

zosolizard HB User

Wow Sparkie - that is very interesting!! Thanks for sharing your story with me. That makes a lot of sense. Before I was diagnosed, I noticed that I had really bad hangovers lately, but not as bad as these last two.... wonder if my hypo is just so bad right now (?)

And to Katpurs - I just turned 40. And all of these palpitations & stuff started just last year (right after I quit smoking!) And as a result, I've also gotten some kind of panic/anxiety problem. I really am hoping these are all due to my thyroid problem & can be corrected once we find the proper level of medication for me. My journey has just begun!!

Thanks, both of you - for writing, I really do appreciate it!

Old 06-06-2006, 09:52 PM   #10
Senior Veteran
(male)

Meep HB UserMeep HB UserMeep HB User

Sparkie is on the right track, pointing out that we hypos tend to process everything more slowly, but let me add something... You haven't been on synthroid long and your body is adjusting to the stress of the additional thyroid hormones. This is a VERY big stress on every fiber of your being. Since your body is already stressed to the max from your recent addition of thyroid meds, it couldn't deal with the additional stress caused by the alcohol, and that is the reason you had such a bad reaction. Be nice to your body during this transitional period, then once you are stabilized on your thyroid meds, you can return to partying with the best of them!

I am not a doctor, nor have I ever played one on TV...

Old 06-07-2006, 12:41 AM   #11
Senior Veteran
(female)

pursie HB User

Quote:
Originally Posted by Meep
Sparkie is on the right track, pointing out that we hypos tend to process everything more slowly, but let me add something... You haven't been on synthroid long and your body is adjusting to the stress of the additional thyroid hormones. This is a VERY big stress on every fiber of your being. Since your body is already stressed to the max from your recent addition of thyroid meds, it couldn't deal with the additional stress caused by the alcohol, and that is the reason you had such a bad reaction. Be nice to your body during this transitional period, then once you are stabilized on your thyroid meds, you can return to partying with the best of them!
I STARTED SMOKING AGAIN NAUTY ME YES MY THYROID PROBS GOT WORSE ALSO AFTER QUITING LAST YEAR

Old 06-07-2006, 01:51 AM   #12
Senior Veteran
(female)

pursie HB User

Quote:
Originally Posted by pursie

I STARTED SMOKING AGAIN NAUTY ME YES MY THYROID PROBS GOT WORSE ALSO AFTER QUITING LAST YEAR
thats avery helpfull post, yes it does seem to be hard the first few weeks my thyroid swelled up on the third week of meds! i spose it had to wosk harder i have another raise nex week yuk thanks for the great advice

Old 06-07-2006, 06:12 AM   #13
Veteran
(female)

zosolizard HB User

Quote:
Originally Posted by pursie

Wow, no kidding!! I swear I learn more & more on this board. My TSH was always at the high end of "normal" before I quit smoking. No one ever treated it, and I didn't know any better....
Thanks for sharing your story, Pursie

Old 06-07-2006, 06:13 AM   #14
Veteran
(female)

zosolizard HB User

Quote:
Originally Posted by Meep
Meep, thanks so much for making me laugh - and for the very, very useful information. I will definitely be extra gentle on my body for now!!

Closed Thread