It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

Thyroid Disorders Message Board
Post New Thread   Closed Thread
LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 06-12-2006, 07:37 AM   #1
(female)

gnp HB User
swollen glands by ear jawline

For about a week now I have been taking an antibiotic because of swollen glands, the problem is that they haven't gone down yet. They are painful and uncomfortable to eat with. Is this something that can be related to my thyroid. They actually squeeze themselves, as if you were sucking on a lemon. The tang causes a contraction of them. This is the first time I ever experienced anything like this. I don't have my wisdom teeth(removed almost 20 yrs ago), already had the mumps (age 14 ). So what else would cause this.

Nancy

Old 06-12-2006, 10:00 AM   #2
Senior Veteran
(female)

illmakeit HB User
Re: swollen glands by ear jawline

Perhaps the salivary glands?

Last edited by illmakeit; 06-12-2006 at 01:08 PM. Reason: spelling

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 06-12-2006, 12:46 PM   #3
Veteran
(female)

hyperkim HB User

The lymph nodes are a part of the immune system. One or more of the lymph nodes can become enlarged when there is an infection and the immune system is fighting something.

Nancy, do you have hashi's or graves? I have graves. My lymph node under my right jaw stayed slightly enlarged until I got my thyroid levels under control. The node has now returned to normal size.

So what I am trying to say is that the antibodies could be out of control causing swelling of one or more lymph nodes. It might be time to have your antibodies checked again.

Other than an infection or antibodies, I have no other ideas. Let us know what you find out.
Kim
Fibromyalgia Dx 1/08
Chronic Fatigue Syndrome Dx 1/08

Old 06-12-2006, 02:54 PM   #4
Senior Veteran
(female)

Reece HB UserReece HB UserReece HB UserReece HB UserReece HB UserReece HB UserReece HB UserReece HB UserReece HB UserReece HB UserReece HB User

You had RAI didn't you? If you did, it's likely your salivary glands swelling up. Drink a lot of fluids, and massage them as much as you can all day long, and drink when you wake up in the night to keep them flowing. You can go to either your ontoronologist, or your oral surgeon, and tell them your post RAI. Sometimes they get blocked, but more often, they swell up and get irritated, and sometimes, if they aren't flowing, they can poke them a bit and get them flowing. Also sucking on a lemon can help.

Old 06-12-2006, 08:13 PM   #5
(female)

gnp HB User

I have hashi's. I just had my blood drawn today and it covered the antibodies. I should get the results tomorrow. I am looking up on the salivary glands. It's funny you should mention that because during my rai, they swelled so bad that I had no neck line and it made it hard to breath. I'll let you guys know my results as soon as I get them.

Nancy

Old 06-12-2006, 08:49 PM   #6
(female)

Gardener24 HB User

GNP,

I believe you have "late sialadenitis" caused by your RAI treatment. Right after your treatment, you had "early sialadenitis." This is salivary gland inflammation caused by possible damage from the RAI.

I'm having the same problem. I had RAI in October 2005 and had minor pain and swelling the night after the treatment. I started having pain in one cheek in February and then shortly thereafter in the other. It initially felt like a tightening in my face in reaction to hot food. Then all chewing would set it off. I was also experiencing bursts of tasting salt in my mouth as the plugged-up glands released.

Now in June I'm not having the salt bursts anymore, most chewing doesn't cause a problem now, but eating salty foods definitely brings it on. If I really overdue the salt (like popcorn, pretzels, salad dressing), my face is sore even the following day. I primarily have pain in the parotid salivary glands (cheeks).

I also have xerostomia (dry mouth) to a small degree from this problem. Dry food like crackers have become a bit hard to eat, food is getting stuck in my mouth, and I've read that it's easier to get cavities so I'm trying to brush my teeth more.

I've been back to my surgeon (ENT) for this. He's tried steroids which did nothing. Now I'm on a flushing agent to try to flush the glands -- doesn't seem to be doing much. He has one more stronger drug for me to try next -- not sure that I want to.

I just saw my endo who seemed uninformed about sialadenitis. He said I was too young for it from what he sees. He usually sees it in older people. I told him I have it to a T, including the salty bursts and a face that feels like (but not quite looks like) a hamster stuffed with food or someone with mumps. Well I convinced him that I knew what I was talking about. He changed my one-year follow-up scan to an ultrasound instead to avoid getting additional iodine.

P.S. - I've already tried the massaging, drinking, chewing gum routine. Doesn't seem to help much.

Old 06-13-2006, 04:36 AM   #7
Senior Veteran
(female)

Reece HB UserReece HB UserReece HB UserReece HB UserReece HB UserReece HB UserReece HB UserReece HB UserReece HB UserReece HB UserReece HB User

In my case, I had an "episode", exactly one year after RAI. Now, sometimes the glands flare up if I don't drink enough, or I take allergy meds. that dry me up.

My oral surgeon did some research. Her former chief when she studied did a great deal of research on the subject, and she gave me some of his articles. She said it can start up to 3 years after RAI, (it's a possible side effect) and for some it can worsen, for some it can improve, for some it can just flare up once in a while, and recur. There's no definite course in terms of how it affects you. I know surgically they can do stuff if it gets really bad.

But when it does flare up, you need to make sure it's not a blockage.

Nancy, I don't think it's from the Hashis, I think it's from the RAI treatment. Hopefully, it's just temporary.

Old 06-13-2006, 06:55 AM   #8
(female)

gnp HB User

Well, I got my blood work back (I told you it would be quick). It pays to know people in high places. Actually it's my sister-in-law who draws my blood. When she gets the results she faxes me one also. I had to many problems with my endo saying they didn't receive it, so I send them a copy also. You guys are definitely onto something. I had a sandwich with vinegar and oil and boy did my glands squeeze. I do get a different taste in my mouth every one in a while. It's warm, almost like something is squezzing out of the pores. So here are the results:

thyroid function (tsh sensitive) 3.85 reference range is: 0.35-5.5 miu/ml
Thyroxine free - 0.6 (lo) range is: 0.9-1.7 ng/dl
anti-thyroglobulin - <20.0 range is: 0.0-40.0 iu/ml
thyroid peroxidase ab - 27 range is 0-35 iu/ml

comment on lab form:

autoantibodies to thyroid peroxidase (tpo), which is the major antigen of thyroid microsomes, can be detected in the serumm of patients with auto-immune thyroid disease and predict elevated tsh concentrations. TPO autoantibody, concentrations correlate with the degree of lymphoid infiltration of the thyroid gland. Low concentrations of TPO autoantibody predict at-risk pregnancy. TPO autoantibodies are also detected in some patients with other autoimmune disease who have normal thyroid function.

What I don't understand is is the free thyroxine at 0.6 (low) a good, bad or indifferent thing? The anti and TPO are these where they are supposed to be? Is my Hashi's good right now?

I'm going to schedule my fp appt today, but the nurses or people who make the appt. always ask "and the reason for the appt."? I always feel like a hypocondriac. Yeah, like we have nothing better to do than spend our days in doctor offices.

Nancy

Old 06-13-2006, 06:57 AM   #9
Senior Veteran
(female)

Is that your TSH in the 3 range? Shouldn't it be suppressed to avoid a recurrence for the thyroid cancer?

Sorry, I know nothing about labs otherwise, because that's all I worry about.

Old 06-13-2006, 07:24 AM   #10
(female)

gnp HB User

No, you are correct. It is not supposed to be in the 3 range. Even though the range is generic, it's not good for thyroid cancer. I should really be down in the 0.something range. I'm glad you wrote back.

Nancy

Closed Thread