It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

Thyroid Disorders Message Board
Post New Thread   Closed Thread
LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 06-20-2006, 05:14 PM   #1
(female)

Shannon7 HB User
recently discovered thyroid prob.

hi, I'm new to this board. I have just recently discovered I have thryoid problems. I have been reading through the posts here and have seen how knowledgeable and helpful people are here, so I was hoping someone could tell me what they think of my results so far. I have a FNB tomorrow. So I'll have some more to add in a few days.

Having thyroid problems is so horrible. I have never felt so bad. I just hope to get this straightened out soon so I can try to start living again.

Has anyone had anything similar to what I have?

THYROID SONOGRAM
History: Postpartum six months, visible palpable lump in right throat. Chief complaint of fatigue.

Real-time sector scanning with small part transducer reveals a homogeneous texture and outline to the left lobe of the thyroid with measurements of 2.6 x 0.65 x 1.3 cm.

The right lobe is disproportionately larger and appears to contain an irregular heterogeneous and somewhat complex mass with both cystic and solid components. The isthmus itself is normal in appearance and measures only 4.1 mm. in thickness.

CONCLUSION
Complex heterogeneous cystic mass of the right lobe of the thyroid. The right lobe of the thyroid measures 3.8 x 1.7 x 2.9 cm. while the cyst is difficult to measure but is approximately 3 to 5 mm., circumferentially smaller than this mass. While this may represent a hemorrhage in a thyroid adenoma, a malignant lesion is not excluded and fine needle aspiration biopsy is recommended.

LABS:

Thyroperoxidase (TPO) AB, THYR
<20
Reference range: <=40
Unit: IU/Ml

TEST: FREE TSH
T4 [SUPER SENSITIVE]
UNITS: NG/ML uIU/ML
LO-HI: 0.7-1.48 0.35-4.94
0.91 0.01

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 06-20-2006, 07:11 PM   #2
Senior Veteran
(female)

NikkiNak HB User
Re: recently discovered thyroid prob.

Hello Shannon-

Welcome to the thyroid board. Wow I bet you do feel pretty bad with your TSH suppressed so low and your T4 is climbing. It looks to me very similar to my early labs. You are hyperthyroid probably from graves disease. My symptoms also began 6 months after the birth of my 1st daughter. I knew something was wrong when I started with panic attacks and anxiety. Both myself and my dr.s attributed it to "New Mommyhood" as I hadn't done it before. My regular dr. discovered a nodule on my right lobe about 1.5 cm. It ended up being "hot" which means hyper. Finally after 5 years I was just recently diagnosed with graves disease with a fantastic endo (went through alot to get there). 80% of hyperthyroidism is caused from the graves disease antibodies. A great referance for beginners is "Thyroid for Dummies" by Dr. Alan Rubin. I also really like "Living Well with Graves Disease and Hyperthyroidism" by Mary Shomon. Both very informative and will tell you all your treatment options. ASK lot's questions and research before you make a decision on how you want to go about your treatment. Nothing with the thyroid happens fast so don't be rushed into anything you aren't comfortable with. There is a few of us graves sisters on here so feel free to ask whatever.

Take Care and glad to have you "On Board"

Nikki

Old 06-22-2006, 06:06 PM   #3
(female)

Shannon7 HB User

Hi Nikki! Thanks so much for your reply. I really appreciate it. I am new to all of this and any info at this point is very helpful. I am so glad I found this board! There seems to be so many nice and knowledgeable people here.

I have a question for you. Did you feel so tired and dizzy that it was difficult to do anything more than the bear minimum for anything? And if you did, how long did it take for you to feel any better? I have so many plans for the next few years (finish school is a priority I feel like I might not have the energy for now) that I don't see how I can do. I just canceled a vacation because I felt it would just be too much for me, and I worry I won't be able to do anything ever again. Did you feel this way?

I used to be an energetic optimistic person. Now I just sit around feeling exhausted and not even able to think straight : ( It is depressing to think it could take a long time to get this all figured out and start feeling better again...

Old 06-23-2006, 06:58 AM   #4
Senior Veteran
(female)

NikkiNak HB User

Hi Shannon-

Yes your situation is treatable and it will get better. I felt just as you do not so long ago. You are going to have to make decisions about your treatment though. Your options are:
Ant******** medications (normally with a beta/blocker if heart palpitations are involved)
RAI (radioactive iodine)
Surgery

Ant******** meds calm down the hyperthyroid. They slowly bring down the antibodies causing graves disease. Beta blockers help with heart palpitations if you are experiancing them. Remission is possible with ant******** meds.

RAI is a permanent and irreversible treatmentslowly killing the thyroid. The thyroid in graves disease is NOT the problem but a symptom. The poor thyroid is just doing what the pituitary gland is telling it to. It does NOT treat the graves antibodies. It can aggrivate thyroid eye disease (TED) and in some cases send it into overdrive. It can also stir up the antibodies causing graves disease and will make you permanetly hypothyroid and you will be on thyroid hormone replacement the rest of your life. Hypothyroid is another thyroid condition bringing on a whole new set of symptoms. Alot of endocrinologist SEEM to think it is easier to treat but if just read some of the posts on here you will learn differently. It is not invasive but there are alot of future risks your taking with it especially your eyes. Remission from graves is not possible with RAI.

Surgery is usually the least preffered option to most endo's unless cancer is involved. You will be on thyroid hormone and again remission from graves is not possible.

I am personally going the ant******** meds route. I did alot of research and asked alot of questions here. I had a hard time finding the right endo to diagnose me properly. Now that I have I am working very closely with my endo to get my meds regulated. In the beginning when my former endo was insisting I did not have graves disease and just a "hot nodule" I was considering RAI. Once I was told by my current endo that graves disease is the culprit of my misery I totally ruled out RAI and I am now happily doing the meds. I would rather have surgery than the RAI as it scares me. I am shooting for remission with my graves.

Any more questions just ask away. My best advice is to really start educating yourself so you can be completly aware of all your options and what is happining to your body. In the beginning every chance I would get I would jump on the comptuter reading and researching day and night. I started a folder containing all my test results, questions I have for my endo, and symptoms list. Every time I go to the endo I carry it with me. This way I don't forget anything and it makes it easier for them to cover their basis.

I hope I have helped a bit.

Nikki

Old 06-23-2006, 11:21 AM   #5
(female)

Shannon7 HB User

hi Nikki. Thanks so much for your reply! You've been so helful I agree, I need to do lots of research. I want to make the right decisions.

Did you have to get any nodules or cysts surgically removed from your thyroid? I was wondering because I do have a visible cyst/nodule. I don't want surgery but am afraid I will need to get this removed as it is large enough to be easily seen on my neck.

I had my labs repeated and my tsh is still the same .01 My first consult with my endo was two days ago. I am now scheduled for an ultasound and a FNB for July11. After reading your post about graves I asked to have my blood tested for this right off the bat. My husband said he was glad I was on this board or else he doesn't think they would have tested for that. I have always been an impatient person, and all of this waiting is driving me crazy

What meds are you on? How long did it take for you to feel better?

Thanks again for all of your support and help!

Old 06-24-2006, 07:23 AM   #6
Senior Veteran
(female)

NikkiNak HB User

Hi Shannon-

My nodule was on my right lobe for 4 years that I was aware of. I had a RAI-U (radioactive iodine uptake scan) a few months ago revealing that the "hot nodule" had turn into complete inflammation of both lobes. The right still more so than the left. From that scan, along with labs, and symptoms, my current endo agreed that I do indeed have graves disease. My former endo was insisting that it was not graves (long story) and never gave surgery as an option but instead was PUSHING RAI. I was not completely convinced that I was not suffering from graves so something permanent and irreversible was not the most comfortable route for me. I had a problem just getting someone to diagnose me properly.That's when after researching, asking lots of questions, and listening to knowledge coming off this board, I decided a 2nd opnion would be my next step. Thank God I did. If you have found an endo that is willing to LISTEN and WORK with you you have a winner and a keeper.

I finally was diagnosed May 11th of this year. I will always remember it because I felt releaved that there was a reason for the condition of my health. I finally had an answer to my instability healthwise and it was wonderful.

As for my treatment I am currently taking:
Toprol XL 50mgs (beta blocker)
Methimazole 10mg ( split twice daily into 5 mgs also the generic for the ant******** med tapazole)
Paroxetine 20mgs ( antidepressant for my "panic anxiety" which I will wean off once my levels have straightened out)

I am STARTING to feel like old Nikki but still have "off" days.

Let me post my last labs ( you should always get copies of your labs to make sure proper test were done and you can see your levels yourself)

These were after 4 weeks of ant******** meds-

T3 126 (60-181)
FT4 0.92 (0.8-1.8)
TSH 0.01 (0.4-5.5)

When you post your labs (so we can look and help you you should do them similar to this so they are easy to read).

It seems once the TSH (thyroid stimulatng hormone) is supressed as low as ours it takes TIME for it to rise even with treatment. Your endo should focus more importantly on TSI (graves antibody test) FT4, and T3. An FNB is also a plus to rule out cancer and such and sonogram will give an idea to the size your dealing with on the nodule. If surgery has to happen it will be okay. Lots of people on here have had surgery and it hasn't seemed too bad for surgery.

I hope to have helped again.......Still kinda new to the graves thing myself but I am truely starting to understand things, finally. I would be happy to answer other questions you have.

Take Care- Nikki

Old 06-24-2006, 07:34 AM   #7
Senior Veteran
(female)

illmakeit HB User

Hi Shannon, let us know what your FNB says when you get the results. IF you need surgery to remove part of your thyroid or all of it, it is a piece of cake surgery for most. Make sure you have a VERY experienced surgeon.

Hi Nikki,
Glad you are beginning to feel like your old self! Congratulations!!! I am SO happy for you!!!!!

Everyone take care.
Jewel

Old 06-25-2006, 08:36 AM   #8
(female)

Shannon7 HB User

hi Jewel and Nikki, thanks so much for your posts it's so wonderful to talk to others who can relate to my thyroid problems.

I'll be sure to post my FNB results. And I ordered the book Thyroid for dummies. Thanks to both of you for all the help and for the suggestions!

Old 06-25-2006, 08:41 AM   #9
Senior Veteran
(female)

NikkiNak HB User

Hi Shannon-

I will be checking for your results. You'll do fine and you'll have lots of reading to keep you busy with that book LOL Anyway take care and we will talk at ya' son.

Nikki

Closed Thread