It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

Thyroid Disorders Message Board
Post New Thread   Closed Thread
LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 06-30-2006, 04:56 AM   #1
(female)

x_Jessee_x HB User
Does hypothyroidism stop hair growing?

Does hypothyroidism stop hair growing? I heard it causes hair loss but I haven't lost any hair, it just won't grow. I'm on 100mcg of thyroxine, gotta have a blood test soon (still kinda not sure if the dose is right), I heard it can take over a year for some of the symptons to go away, so when my dose is definately right and its been a while do you think my hair will start growing again? thanks.

Old 06-30-2006, 08:15 AM   #2
(female)

tawnyjade HB User
Re: Does hypothyroidism stop hair growing?

I'm not sure if hair actually stops growing, but it sure does fall out!
I had my thyroid removed in November last year, and was not on any thyroid hormone before that, although looking back I'm sure I should have been for years.
I started to take L-Thyroxine 100 mg after my surgery, and am on 137mg Synthroid now. My hair has recently gotten fuller and my eybrow have grown back!!

Hang in there!

Tawny

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 06-30-2006, 08:22 AM   #3
Senior Veteran
(male)

Archie343 HB User

Right or wrong, I have always associated rate of hair and nail growth to metabolism. If true, a hypo condition would slow the growth but not stop it.

Old 06-30-2006, 08:49 AM   #4
(female)

boata HB User

In my experience - my hair never fell out - but it didn't grow either. I would literally go months without a haircut!

Old 06-30-2006, 11:37 AM   #5
(female)

MATYA HB User

My hair doesn't grow like it use to, but it continues to come out dispite the dosage of thyroid med. I'm now on 150 mcg generic Synthyroid.

The thyroid does in fact affect metabolism, and once it is removed, I don't believe that any medication can truly replace the actual organ's functions.

Old 07-01-2006, 08:12 AM   #6
(female)

x_Jessee_x HB User

Yeh I never have to have haircuts either, except had my split ends cut off about 3 weeks ago, but it just will not grow, so even when my dose is right it probably won't either?

Old 07-02-2006, 10:18 PM   #7
(female)

KrazyAS HB User

This is an interesting topic!
Before i was dx hypo in sept 05, alot of my hair fell out and it still grew really fast. But, my body hair stopped growing- i had to shave my legs maybe once a month!

Now that i am on synthroid, over 75% of my hair has fallen out, and it has grows really slowly. It falls out so much now since my levels are still off. And i was literally raining hair when i started taking synthroid. But oddly, my body hair started growing again, and i now have to shave every day again.

On the flip side of this, my nails have always grown fast- before and even after i started taking synthroid.

Old 07-04-2006, 01:07 AM   #8
Senior Veteran
(female)

pursie HB User

hello,
yes ive had hair los and it is one off the saddest symptoms for us girls aint it , i think goind without meds for so long and not being diaged made it worse mine is a bit better but not like my old barnet and they are important in this side of england!!!! lol but seriously , my body hair is growing and with it my head hair a bit , i didnt miss the pubic hair though ! and thats growing back yuk also, i dont think im medicated enough as ive put weight on !!! why does this happen??? lots of love katxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxi.s.h.t........ ..

Old 07-04-2006, 03:12 PM   #9
Senior Veteran
(female)

Deda HB User

Mine too fell out for a year before I was diagnosed, (thought it was because of perimeno), and didn't stop falling out until my Tsh was down in the lower part of the range...like 2 or below. I notice it does indeed grow much slower than before I had this disease...I can tell by my roots, as I color my hair every 6 weeks, ...and where there used to be a good inch of white roots, it's more like 1/2 an inch now. But I did read somewhere, that as we age, our hair growth does slow down...so who knows.

I was looking at some old pictures of myself the other day, and noticed that a few years prior to my hypo/Hashi's diagnoses, that my eyebrows were full and looked very nice, then a couple years before I was dx'd, they were really getting thin...so sometimes I used brow pencil. Still have to shave my legs a few times a week tho. (hey...it's summer...my leg hair has always grew faster in the summer time!) LOL

Deda

Old 07-05-2006, 10:06 AM   #10
(female)

also2tired HB User

My mom always wanted long hair, but she could never get it to grow. She had so many, many hypothyroid symptoms, that I am fairly certain that she had undiagnosed hypo for much of her life. (She has since passed away.) Anyway, I agree with others that hypo can affect hair by slowing its growth.

Closed Thread