It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

Thyroid Disorders Message Board
Post New Thread   Closed Thread
LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 07-02-2006, 07:38 AM   #1
(female)

Maryee HB User
Still have problems even though on thyroxine - can any one shed any light please?

Hello all

I would be most grateful if anyone has an idea of what still might be wrong with me.

I have Hashi's, was undiagnosed for 10 yrs, but have now been on thyroxine for 1.5 yrs. Most of my symptoms went away initially but some have never really gotten better. I am still having problems with my nails and hair - my nails peel off and then rip right down to the nail bed and I still have a distinct lack of eyelashes. I am also starting to suffer from swollen feet and legs again - this went away for a while but now seems to be back. And lastly, I am starting to have very little chest pains again - these too went away once I started taking thyroxine but are creeping back again.

At my last test, all of my levels were okay and towards the good end of the scale. My Dr doesn't seem to have any suggestions at all. I am taking a general vitamin pill with extra vitamin E but to no avail.

Any suggestions would be most appreciated.

Maryee

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 07-02-2006, 08:27 AM   #2
(female)

flourishing HB User
Re: Still have problems even though on thyroxine - can any one shed any light please?

Hiya

When was your test last done?

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 07-02-2006, 09:10 AM   #3
(female)

Maryee HB User
Re: Still have problems even though on thyroxine - can any one shed any light please?

Hi there

Last test was taken 2 months ago at my request. The only problem that I didn't have then was the swollen legs/feet thing, which has reappeared in the last month and a bit.

Thank you

Maryee

Old 07-02-2006, 09:49 AM   #4
(female)

flourishing HB User

Request another test to be done - maybe your results have changed enough since last time to warrant the return of symptoms

I'm sure a more experienced person will be along soon to anwer this for you - I'm still learning about Hashimoto's

My feet and legs swell too and it's very annoying. Too get some relief I lay on the floor with my legs up against a wall for a while - very undignified but it works for me

Old 07-02-2006, 11:51 AM   #5
(female)

Maryee HB User

Thank you for your help.

It is so annoying, isn't it. I feel blobby enough without my legs blowing up! And they hurt to stand on them!

Back to the Dr's for me then.

Thanks again

Maryee

Old 07-02-2006, 12:20 PM   #6
(female)

Kharma HB User

I'm sorry you're having problems. I can relate to some of your issues. I have Hashis also.

You might want to ask your Dr. if you can add in some T3, like Cytomel to your thyroid meds or switch to Armour which has both T3 and T4 in it.

When I was on Synthroid for years a lot of my symptoms nver went completely away either. One of my worst symptoms was swollen legs and feet by the end of the day. For me it was non-pitting edema which is common in hypothyroid patients.

Switching from Synthroid which is a T4 only thyroid supplement to Armour has helped alleviate the swelling greatly. Most days my legs and feet aren't swollen at all. Days where there is swelling, it's very slight. I'm still not completely regulated in my meds so I expect when I get to normal blood levels things will improve even more.

Another problem was always having a an eczema like rash on my legs and arms. They've tried numerous meds but until I went on Armour the rash never went away, was only soothed. Now I have no rash. I also had brain fog for years and thought that was normal. It was difficult to concentrate and I got tired easily. Adding in T3 with the armour helped with that too.

See if you Dr. would be willing to run a free T3 and a free T4 tests along with your normal TSH test. Those two tests will tell you if you're deficient in T3 or T4.

Last edited by Kharma; 07-02-2006 at 12:22 PM.

Old 07-03-2006, 11:07 AM   #7
Senior Veteran
(female)

elmhar HB Userelmhar HB User

I want to reinforce Kharma's last statement. While you say your levels are good, it's most helpful to know ... levels of what??? ... and to know the actual numbers. So many docs go by TSH only, and then use outdated reference ranges.

If you have the free T3 & free T4 tests done, and if your numbers are at least in the top half of the range for both, that is important info.

While it does sound like you are having a recurrence of hypoT symptoms, there can be other causes for the swelling, so it's good to definitely either rule in or rule out the front-runner culprit, before looking for other causes.

Best wishes.

Old 07-03-2006, 08:40 PM   #8
(female)

Bier HB User

I have been on levothyroxine for four years now. I still get very sore legs. I still get ankle swelling. I still get a multitude of symptoms, but, I do not have them all the time. I forget what normal feels like. I must be getting used to sore, aching legs. This is not a lot of fun.

Laurie of Canada

Closed Thread