It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

Thyroid Disorders Message Board
Post New Thread   Closed Thread
LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 07-17-2006, 05:31 AM   #1
Senior Veteran
(female)

fallen_angel HB User
can thyroid problems cause missed periods?

hi everyone
im new to this board and have a question which i hope you can help me with. ive recently missed my period for the first time ever and cant understand why as i have always been fairly regular.Another strange thing is that ive had no PMS symptoms such as breast pain etc whatsoever, and i always get these for at least a week before my period. but it just feels like my body does not want to have a period atall!
im pretty sure im not pregnant as i havent had sex since my last period, so the only thing that i can think it could be is the meds i have recently started taking- im currently on 600mg of lithium for bipolar disorder. i am aware that this can cause thyroid problems and i do have my thyroid checked along with the other bloodwork that i have to have done regularly. the last time it was checked it was fine, although my dose has been increased slightly since then.
Somebody suggested that the missed period could be a sign of thyroid problems- is this true? i have no other symptoms of thyroid trouble and am actually feeling quite well in myself for the first time in ages, when i first went on the lithium i was very tired and had no energy or focus, but this has now passed.
any insight or advice anyone could offer would be great as this is worrying me
thanks in advance

Old 07-17-2006, 06:29 AM   #2
Veteran
(female)

lookin4aclue HB User
Re: can thyroid problems cause missed periods?

Well hello Fallen.
As to your question yes thyroid problems can cause missed periods, as well as alot of symptoms of being bipolar, so although you may think that you haven't suffered from a thyroid symptom the fact is you might have. Another thing is that there are alot(and I mean alot) of people that suffer from thyroid problems that are miss DXed with being Bipolar. So who really knows. If you have missed your period, I would be for calling up my doc, and telling them what is going on. From what I understand the Lithuim doesn't cause thyroid problems! You just can't take it if you have thyroid problems.
As I am Bipolar, and have Graves. Most of the time HYPERTHYROID is the cause for the missed period if it is due to thyroid. Hope I helped.

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 07-17-2006, 06:32 AM   #3
(female)

flourishing HB User

Hi fallen_angel

Thyroid disorder can cause irregular periods. Medications and stress can also be the cause. It's best to rule out pregnancy if your not totally sure and then keep a diary (I use little marks on my business diary to record my days) and call your doctor

Last edited by flourishing; 07-17-2006 at 06:36 AM.

Old 07-17-2006, 07:55 AM   #4
Senior Veteran
(female)

midwest1 HB Usermidwest1 HB Usermidwest1 HB Usermidwest1 HB Usermidwest1 HB Usermidwest1 HB Usermidwest1 HB Usermidwest1 HB Usermidwest1 HB Usermidwest1 HB Usermidwest1 HB User

Hyperthyroidism can cause missed periods; but since you feel well otherwise and have missed only one, it doesn't seem likely that your thyroid is to blame. It could be just a fluke. You might consider just taking a "wait-see" approach.

Old 07-17-2006, 08:22 AM   #5
Senior Veteran
(female)

elmhar HB Userelmhar HB User

Hi Angel,

A few things I'd ck:

1) home preg. test -- inexpensive & reassuring. Women have been known to be pregnant with the scenario you described.

2) Yes, I agree with you about staying on top of your thyroid function while you are on Lithium. Research shows that lithium is somwhat of an immuno- stimulant, and has potential to induce thyroid auto-antibodies in some people, particularly those with a family history of thyroid disorder. Hypothyroidism is not uncommon in those taking long-term lithium supplementation; rates vary from 20% over the short term to more than 30% over the long term.

3) Thyroid tests: most helpful would be free T3 (active thyroid hormone) level, TSH, and thyroid antibodies.

As others have mentioned, thyroid disorder can mimic bipolar. Unfortunately, many pdocs don't test thyroid & those who do often just screen for gross abnormalities. So getting your actual test results & vetting their interpretation is prudent.

Best wishes.

Old 07-17-2006, 08:42 AM   #6
Senior Veteran
(female)

fallen_angel HB User

thank you to you all, your responses have been extremely helpful and enlightening- wow i didnt realise thyroid disorders can be misdiagnosed as bipolar that is really interesting.
i have made an appointment for blood tests to check my thyroid function on wednesday so hopefully that will tell me more. i will also do a pregnancy test next week if period still doesnt arrive- i guess stranger things have happened!
thanks again everyone

Old 07-17-2006, 09:25 AM   #7
Senior Veteran
(female)

pursie HB User

hi just reading your post , those symptoms are all hypothyroid, keep having it checkjed love from kat sorry about th spelling ! most people have probably got used to this its when i accidently hit the wrong keys lol thats my excuse anyway!!!!! lots of love from katxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx xxxxx

Old 07-24-2006, 05:14 PM   #8
(female)

patsycatsy HB User

Hello Angel,
You don't mention your age ~ is there any chance that you are simply perimenopausal? My menopause was very early, age 40, which I have always attributed to the fact that I had hypothyroidism, but it hadn't been diagnosed yet. Your thyroid controls all your hormonal functions, certainly.My menopause was a missed period a regular period a month later, and then done with it. I never had a hot flash, a night sweat or crying jags. Maybe that's what's happening.
PatsyCatsy

Old 07-27-2006, 08:51 AM   #9
(female)

star9763 HB User

Hi i am hypo and missed periods were what told me i had a thyroid problem. I had all these blood tests done and thats what they found out. It runs in my family my Mom grandmother and uncle also have it also.

Closed Thread