It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

Thyroid Disorders Message Board
Post New Thread   Closed Thread
LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 07-17-2006, 07:18 AM   #1
(female)

flourishing HB User
Arrow I'm sick, achey and coughing up my lungs

Does it seem to take other thyroid suffers longer to get over every little bug and virus going around? (this was going to be my title but I thought it was way to long LOL)

I have Bronchitis and I just want to crawl into my linen cupboard and sleep for a year while coughing my lungs up. But I can't because I have 4 children under the age of 7 on school holidays (two go to school) who demand my attention while my husband - the evil person who brought the virus into the house - excapes to work

I felt bad with just Hashimoto's but now with Bronchitis thrown into the mix I feel like death warmed up in a frypan after I've been trampled by 10 rabied bulls

Well, I've had my vent - thankyou for reading - now over to you so you can answer my original question

Old 07-17-2006, 09:39 AM   #2
Senior Veteran
(female)

pursie HB User
Re: I'm sick, achey and coughing up my lungs

hi f ,
ive just suffered a virus and it went to my chest they always do but the doc didnt listen and made me wait 3 weeks for antibiotics!!!!!
now he decides to send me for a chest exray ! about 5 years to late! i have hashis and im only just beggining to understand this illness, it seems bad when we catch things and takes ages to heal, it may not be a joke anymore to wear a mask!!!!!!! lots of love from kat p hugs

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 07-17-2006, 05:57 PM   #3
(female)

flourishing HB User

Hi Kat

I don't think we need a mask - not gonna stop much - I think full on body armour and bubble suit is the go LOL

Seriously, I hope your chest infection is better or getting better. 3 weeks to wait for antibiotics is a bit much - can you see a new doctor in future or is this one the best in your area ?

My doctor told me I had Bronchitis on Saturday morning when I went and saw him. I went in with what I thought was the flu and an ear infection and came out with Bronchitis and antibiotics (I try and avoid taking antibiotics if I can)

Well on Saturday afternoon I went downhill fast and was glad I'd seen my doc. My kids are happy because I've lost my voice and can't speak above a whisper. Little Angels (I use that term VERY loosely at the moment LOL) think it's funny

Old 07-17-2006, 08:07 PM   #4
(female)

daisy01 HB User

hiya kat babes, xxxxxxxxx its good to have you back, its been somewhat quiet without you.

with me, it seems its not only bugs that take ages to get over but cuts scapes and bruises also seem to take forever to heal (I also have Hashi's.)

Old 07-18-2006, 12:32 AM   #5
(female)

rockylucy05 HB User

Hi!

I have Hashi's also. I have been on antibiotis for about 10 days and I still don't feel well. I have been getting a lot of colds, and sinus infections lately. I have the cough, sore throat, and sinus problems. I hope we all feel better soon.

Take Care!

Cindy

Old 07-18-2006, 07:22 AM   #6
Senior Veteran
(female)

pursie HB User

oh, hi d , and everyone i am a little bit crazy arent i ! lol so ive been told i blame it on my thyroid lol , its twisted my melon man ! lol, im glad you are still about d it would be quiet withoutyou also, and are you still much better on the A meds, lol , thinking of you and all my buddies flourishing thanks so much for your kind reply do you still feel flue like,?? i hope yopu get better also its a rough ride i wonder why we take so long to heal???? and the antibioyics scare me do you think they work against us?? im not sure whether we should get over theese things without them or not, i guess it could be damaging on the old chest, i believe a lot of the crap thats still coming up is from the aftermathn of quiting the fags!!!! i just hope the rxray comes back ok and i can get on with my life a bit!! the thyroid thing is a nuisance in itself, and i really didnt want a nother illness, i know one thing i wont smoke again despite it bringing the hashis out in me, twice!!!
listen i hope you are all a bit better, and keep us posted about your armour diaries d , and lots of love to you all, love from kat, it would be so nice to meet you all w2hen we are better, heelo mandy also , i know you will see thisxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx lots of hugsxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx xxxx

Old 07-19-2006, 07:28 AM   #7
(female)

flourishing HB User

Hi all, glad to know I'm not the only one who is victimised by their own immune system

I'm still not good - worse actually I'm on second course of antibiotics for my Bronchitis and my Asthma is now really bad so doc gave me Prednisolone, Ventalin nebules (my puffer wasn't working) and Seretide

I don't have time to wallow in my own self pity because my 3 year old has a chest infection and his Asthma is playing up too and my 2 year old ALSO has a chest infection - I tell ya, when we do something in our house we don't hold back LOL We (my husband and I) always try to teach our children to share

I really hope your xray is good news Kat - I'll keep my fingers, legs, toes and eyes crossed for you

Old 07-19-2006, 10:28 AM   #8
Senior Veteran
(female)

pursie HB User

thanks matey i hope so i have smoked a while but i seriously feel better aftewr antibiotics and not smoking i think not smoking will help me not to have so much bronchitis in future! i get the old ashma on time and my little boy also gets ashma and chest infections he had brocheelitis when a bambino bless him hes inherited my week chest you should get your chests rayed also i got jacks done just as routine depends how many chest infections you geyt and the sererity of the ashma take care and thankyou lots of love from your new thyropid buddiexxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx ps do y6ou come from usa and where aboutsxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx

Old 07-20-2006, 04:13 AM   #9
(female)

flourishing HB User

Feeling a bit better today thanks to the Nebuliser. But have stopped the Prednisolone because after I took it yesterday at 5pm I had heart palpitations until about 12am. It was aweful and I'm not willing to take anymore ! I've had Prednisolone before and it's never happened so I'm not sure why it's different this time.

Hi Kat,

It's aweful when children get sick and have asthma - wish there was immunisation against it. Hope your little one is okay now

My two youngest children had Bronchiolitis as babies too, were in hospital for it and now seem to get everything that's going around - especially 3 year old son (2nd youngest) and he was diagnosed with mild Asthma at 6 weeks old while in hospital with the Bronchiolitis

Unfortunately Asthma appears to run in my family on my mothers side, so having only one of my children (out of 4) with it is good odds IMO.

Quote:
ps do y6ou come from usa and where abouts
I'm not in the US - I live in the beautiful city of Perth in Western Australia

Old 07-20-2006, 04:33 AM   #10
Senior Veteran
(female)

pursie HB User

hi ,
an ausie hey cool, what a beutifull country excuse my awfull spelling ! ive didnt have a good education my own fault mainly and ive been parenting only for the last 10 years i have got an art and hairdressing pass under my belt, i dont think everyone has to stay at home with there kids it just worked out that way for us with the divorce and all i had to much on my plate but im trying to get back into work!!! what do you do???? the ashma is also on my mothers side?? and the bronchilitis is really scarey isnt ti jack was 4 months old and it nearlly damn well killed him to say it was a reallly bad time is a huge understatement, you always wish you could take it for them dont you! and it seems a little bit better for jack in this warmer weather we been having , but it used to go straight to his chest every cold, and it does on mine it always turns to broncitis! hopefully now i give up the fags it will stop doing that??? jack is on flixitide once a day when he is well then when he is poorly he has flixotide twice a day and ventolin when needed, im supposed to have becotide when im poorly and the ventolin when needed! but i dont take it at the mo as i feel a bit better , do you have any pets??? and are you on the coast or inland this seems to make a difference? take care you and your family and i know what you mean about the palps from the inhalers what colour is your puffer our are brown blue and peach, i dont know what inhaler you mean xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx is it lovely weather where you are???? lots of love from kat pursxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx

Old 07-20-2006, 07:34 AM   #11
(female)

flourishing HB User

Hi Kat

Quote:
what do you do????
I am a Home Executive (SAHM), used to work in an office but after having my 2 older children we had to weigh up the pro's and con's of the cost of child care and it was cheaper for me to give up work. I plan on going back to work part time in about 3 years when the kids are all at school - I'll take up a cleaning job or another flexible job that allows me to be at work during school hours and at home when the kids are and take them to and from school.

Being qualified as a hairdresser, you could work from home or be a mobile hairdresser maybe. I have a friend who does that and she loves it because she makes her own hours (she is a mother also)

Your son may "out grow" the asthma when he's older (I did when I was a kid, but it came back after I was hospitalised with Glandular Fever when I was 17 - very very bad case). I'm hoping Logan will! My Ventolin is a blue/greyish colour puffer and the Seretide is a purple colour.

Quote:
do you have any pets???
We have a cat, a short hair outside dog and heaps of fish. I'm a dog person and my husband is a cat person (he's allergic to cats ) and he and the kids are fish freaks. I don't see any difference with the asthma in relation to the cat and dog though. Do you have any?

We are 16 km inland (9.94 miles). I find when it is windy on the beach it can be a bit difficult to breathe. Where we live the westerly breeze off the ocean doesn't reach us which is good in winter but means it's really hot in summer. I would really like to move to a warmer climate, where it's warmer all year round, but I love Perth and can't move.

It is cold here at the moment. It got down to 1 degree celsius (33.80 degrees fahrenheit) yesterday morning, which is really really cold for us. The days are around 17 degrees celsius (62.60 degrees fahrenheit) and it's bone chillingly cold but not much rain which is not good - especially for the farmers. Can't wait for Spring when the weather is more comfortable

Old 07-21-2006, 03:33 AM   #12
Senior Veteran
(female)

pursie HB User

thats really weird cos i had glandular fever really bad aswell how weird ??? did you get loads of tonsilitis as well??? i had glandular fever for a year and tonsilitis on and off for 3 or 4 years , i know somebody who went into a coma with there glandular fever !!! it can be really seriouse did you have yours for ages??? i dont think my metabolism ever recovered really do you think yours did!! alot of people get theese weird connections to there thyroid, itd good your freind does that with her hairdressing and doing her own hours, i feel a bit like i left it a long time and its really different 10 years later!!! im not going back to college its to expensive so i was thinking of just doing extensions and a bit of nail extensions, do you fancy some ! lol whats your hair been like with the old thyroid problems, and how did you find out you had this horrible disease??? i just thought it sneaked up on me really slowly and i didnt notice as it was really graduall , i must have just woke up one day and thought im not supposed to feel this way , i asked the doc if i had hashis and he said i had, my gran has it also and she hadnt heard of hashimotos?? and most people dont get told they have hashimotos !!! just that they have underactive thyroid and they just take there meds!
thanks for your reply i hope you can talk soon lots of love from katpursxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx:wa ve:

Old 07-22-2006, 02:21 AM   #13
(female)

flourishing HB User

Hi Kat

I did get Tonsilitis many many times - basically had it continuously (or so it felt) for about 2 or 3 years and then had my Tonsils out at age 19.

When I had Glandular Fever I was in hospital for 6 days and it took me about a year to recover from it, but my immune system has been haywire since then I think. I brought Mary J Shomon's book The Thyroid Diet the other day and she writes that one of the thyroid disease risks (under Related Conditions heading) is Glandular Fever.

Quote:
whats your hair been like with the old thyroid problems, and how did you find out you had this horrible disease???
My hair hasn't completely recovered yet, I suffer from a sensitive scalp and dermatitis (not sure if this is Thyroid related or not - I tend to think it is) and I have lost a little hair but because it's long the loss is not noticable, so I'm lucky. It looks a lot better now than it did before my diagnosis.

I found out I had Hashimoto's a year ago. I continue to see the same doctor that diagnosed me because IMO he saved me and continue's to do good by me (my story is here [url]http://www.healthboards.com/boards/showthread.php?t=402131[/url] )

I was put on 200 mcg Thyroxine straightaway and am still on same dose a year later. My doc is monitoring my "mini me" (goitre) which is no longer a multi nodular goitre but a normal garden variety goitre thanks to the dose of Thyroxine

Quote:
my gran has it also
A few of my aunties (on my dad's side) have Thyroid problems apparently, but since no one seems willing to discuss it with me I'm not sure exactly what their problems are, if they have any at all (my family is full of Hypochondriacs). I understand that it can run in families though

Still haven't got me voice back LOL the kids are loving it

Old 07-22-2006, 10:44 AM   #14
Senior Veteran
(female)

pursie HB User

hi,
thanks for your reply ,flourishing , how strange that you had a ll that tonsilitis like me and glandular fever for a long timw?? did you have a lazy eye when you were little also, ???? my dad is a hypocondriact somewhat lol! but i dont think that we are how strange that often our doctors do think us thyroid sufferers are in fact hypocondriacts! it seems to always go together the anxiety and all of that was because our heart beat was changing and playing up! its enouigh to make any one have panick attacks, did you have anything like t5hat f ??? i also get loss of voice from time to time a nd mt thyroid goes swollen! and i get a sore throat! if you get ti alot you should ask for a scan or have you alresdy had one?? im asking for one all the time , last time i had a swollen thyroid my endo disscharged me!!
whats the weather like up in aussie, its clouded over hear but we have had a good run of nice weather for rainy old england, hows your kids? it wopuld be nice to live near the sea like you, maybe one day we will get ti go to australia and the barrier reef wow is that near to you or do you havre to travel a long way , sorry about the qeustions and bad spelling its nice talking to people in different countries and you are defo one of my thyroid buddies its weird all the same things we went through, signing off now and i going for a walk with the kids to try and loose some of htis extra weightxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx xxxxxxxxxxxxxx lots of love from katpursxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx

Old 07-23-2006, 10:35 PM   #15
(female)

flourishing HB User

I think the doctors that class us as Hypochondriacs are just plain lazy IMO. It's easy to dismiss someone as attention seeking than to actually get off their butts and investigate the problem

That happened to me for years with different doctors and eventually I just lived with my problems until my friend pushed me to see her doc and I got diagnosed.

Quote:
....all of that was because our heart beat was changing and playing up! its enouigh to make any one have panick attacks, did you have anything like t5hat f ???
I had the panic attacks and every now and again I get anxiety but not very often. It usually happens when I go shopping in a very crowded centre (we live near a huge shopping centre) or I have to confront someone or discuss something with me children's teachers - just silly things like that, but nothing to warrant medication or anything for it.

Quote:
whats the weather like up in aussie
Is there a "heat wave" in England at the moment, or is it in another part of Europe?

It's actually raining here today, hasn't stopped all day. I feel sorry for our dog, he keeps standing in the rain looking at the kitchen window - I think he's waiting for me to let him inside. Our dog isn't the sharpest knife in the draw (he's a bit dopey). He probably doesn't want to go into his kennel because of the noise of the rain on his tin roof LOL

The kids are a bit bored today with the rain and all, they can't go into the backyard and play. I had promised to take them to the park today, and they keep asking me to make the rain stop - keep telling them I'm Mum not Mother Nature LOL So apparently it's my fault that it's raining

Aaarrrrrrrrr last day of the school holidays. Roll on tomorrow !

Quote:
barrier reef wow is that near to you or do you havre to travel a long way
The Great Barrier Reef is about 5,300 km away (about 5 or 6 days driving with sleeping stops along the way). We live on one side of Australia and it's on the other. My dad lives in Townsville in Queensland which is near there and he say's it's gorgeous. One day I'd like to visit there too, hopefully before my dad moves back to Western Australia.

Have you travelled out of England before?

Closed Thread