It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....



Thyroid Disorders Message Board
Post New Thread   Closed Thread
LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 07-17-2006, 12:07 PM   #1
Junior Member
(male)
 
Join Date: Jul 2006
Posts: 34
Greg Candido HB User
What should I do now?

Last week I was diagnosed with two nodules on the right side of my Thyroid? One is 1.7 cm and the other 1 is 1 cm. So my local doctor told me to see a Endo to get a biopsy done of them. So he recommended a VERY good doctor in the area. So I call this Endo doctor and to my surprise I was told that the earliest appointment would be in OCTOBER!!! Yep I said OCTOBER. So I told them I wanted a biopsy right away and they said to fax them the blood work. After looking at my blood work, they told me my blood work was within range and was no need to rush. So disappointed, I told my orginal doctor who recommended him and he said of course they said my blood work is okay because I'm taking my medication (.50mg Sythyroid). So he said he will get me in there. So the endo doctor calls me back later in the day and says he just had a look at my ultrasound results and told me that he was not concerned with what he saw. Then proceed to tell me I will see you on August 22nd but will try to get me in early if someone cancels. So should I be relieved? That maybe my nodules are not cancerous and it can wait? Do you think I should just goto another Endo? Or do I just call once a week to see about any cancellation? What should I do now?

Greg

 
Old 07-17-2006, 12:41 PM   #2
Senior Veteran
(female)
 
Join Date: Jan 2003
Location: Missouri, USA
Posts: 12,291
midwest1 HB Usermidwest1 HB Usermidwest1 HB Usermidwest1 HB Usermidwest1 HB Usermidwest1 HB Usermidwest1 HB Usermidwest1 HB Usermidwest1 HB Usermidwest1 HB Usermidwest1 HB User
Re: What should I do now?

You have time to wait.
Nodules most likely to be malignant are solitary and "cold". It's most likely that you have nodules because your gland is working overtime trying to keep up with your body's lack of enough hormone. You are new to hypothyroid treatment, right? The nodules may even shrink once your TH levels improve.

The features which favor a benign nodule are these:
~ family history of Hashimoto's thyroiditis
~ family history of benign thyroid nodule or goiter
~ symptoms of hyperthyroidism or hypothyroidism
~ pain or tenderness associated with a nodule
~ a soft, smooth, mobile nodule
~ multinodular goiter without a predominant nodule (lots of nodules, not one main nodule)
~ "warm" nodule on thyroid scan (produces normal amount of hormone)
~ simple cyst on ultrasound

Features that increase suspicion of malignancy:
~ age less than 20
~ age greater than 70
~ male gender
~ new onset of swallowing difficulties
~ new onset of hoarseness
~ history of external neck irradiation during childhood
~ firm, irregular and fixed nodule
~ presence of cervical lymphadenopathy (swollen hard lymph nodes in the neck)
~ previous history of thyroid cancer
~ nodule that is "cold" on scan (shown in picture above, meaning the nodule does not make hormone)
~ solid or complex on ultrasound

But remember! Over 50% of all people have nodules that they aren't even aware are there... That's how common they are. And 95% of solitary nodules are benign. The odds are even better for multi-nodules.

Knowing what I know, I would not be overly stressed to wait till next month to be seen by the specialist. Get on the cancellation list to ease your mind. Try to relax. You're going to be fine!

 
Sponsors Lightbulb
   
Old 07-17-2006, 03:48 PM   #3
Senior Veteran
(female)
 
Join Date: May 2005
Location: NY
Posts: 3,682
Reece HB UserReece HB UserReece HB UserReece HB UserReece HB UserReece HB UserReece HB UserReece HB UserReece HB UserReece HB UserReece HB User
Re: What should I do now?

I agree with Midwest, take the Aug. appt. with the person you think is the best, and then get on the cancellation list, and call once in a while.

Not only is thyroid cancer unlikely, it's also a very slow growing cancer, so a couple of months makes no difference. It only makes a difference to your worries, and like Midwest said, there's no reason to worry.

 
Old 07-17-2006, 04:17 PM   #4
Senior Member
(female)
 
Join Date: Jul 2005
Location: Iowa
Posts: 279
jjules HB User
Re: What should I do now?

Thanks Midwest1 & Reece for your comments I too am kinda going thru what Greg is and though everyone should be concerned when something like this happens to you it can be reassuring to know node are not necessarily a death sentence. I am going to try not to worry so much now for they will check my levels @ the end of August and do another ultrasound in Dec.

Thanks for helping me and I hope Greg will try not to worry so much also. Jules

 
Old 07-20-2006, 05:47 AM   #5
Senior Member
(female)
 
Join Date: Nov 2005
Location: Ontario Canada
Posts: 143
kathy590 HB User
Re: What should I do now?

My nodules were found in July of last year, I did not have TT until February of this year because of the waiting game in Ontario for tests and Doctors. It is a joke here. It took 4 months just to get the biopsy done.

 
Old 07-20-2006, 06:05 AM   #6
ICC ICC is offline
Inactive
(female)
 
Join Date: Jul 2006
Posts: 3,265
ICC HB UserICC HB UserICC HB User
Re: What should I do now?

I'm in the same place. nuclear scan showed one "cold" nodule. pcp referred me to an endo and the first appt open was august 31st. don't know what she'll do at that point. pcp told me he didn't want me waiting a couple of months so when i see him tues. i'll ask him how he feels about the end of august and maybe recommend someone else or see if he can fax my results over and let the endo decide. It's just a pain not knowing what's next. FNA, meds, surgery. so many possibilities. I did tell my pcp after researching have read that one "cold" is worse than multiple "hot" ones. he did confirm it for me. UGH!!!!

 
Old 07-20-2006, 06:10 AM   #7
Senior Veteran
(female)
 
Join Date: May 2005
Location: NY
Posts: 3,682
Reece HB UserReece HB UserReece HB UserReece HB UserReece HB UserReece HB UserReece HB UserReece HB UserReece HB UserReece HB UserReece HB User
Re: What should I do now?

My PCP had told me to see an endo for my FNA, but my appt was going to be 4 months later. So I went to my ENT, who is also a surgeon, and he took me in right away, and did the FNA on the second visit. He didn't end up doing my surgery, but he did get a high quality sample for the FNA.

 
Old 07-20-2006, 11:33 AM   #8
ICC ICC is offline
Inactive
(female)
 
Join Date: Jul 2006
Posts: 3,265
ICC HB UserICC HB UserICC HB User
Re: What should I do now?

thanks reese---you're a Godsend. i have an appt. with my ENT for a swallow study on monday and then my yearly with my PCP on tuesday. all my blood work will be done tomorrow so maybe if i mention all of this to the ENT between him and my PCP they can get the ball rolling on this instead of me worrying for 7-8 weeks. I thought if you needed thyroid surgery the ENT would do it but the endo did the FNA. see you learn alot on these boards. Who does the surgery if not an ENT?

 
Closed Thread

Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Board Replies Last Post
What do you suggest - a little feeback, please Hiya Relationship Health 71 10-15-2005 03:49 PM
To all my friends, what should I do? StormGirl Relationship Health 74 04-23-2005 05:10 PM
Tell Me What This Is finallypretty Anxiety 6 01-22-2005 09:24 PM
Tell me What this is finallypretty Bipolar Disorder 3 01-21-2005 05:40 AM
What should I do? Stevo182 Sexual Health - Teens 16 11-29-2004 09:42 PM




Thread Tools

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is Off
HTML code is Off
Trackbacks are Off
Pingbacks are Off
Refbacks are Off




Join Our Newsletter

Stay healthy through tips curated by our health experts.

Whoops,

There was a problem adding your email Try again

Thank You

Your email has been added




Top 10 Drugs Discussed on this Board.
(Go to DrugTalk.com for complete list)
Armour
Cytomel
Levothroid
Levoxyl
Potassium
  Synthroid
Tapazole
Unithroid
Xanax
Zoloft




TOP THANKED CONTRIBUTORS



sammy64 (668), midwest1 (630), FinnMaid (311), Reece (225), lisa789 (196), Tree Frog (80), mkgbrook (72), cd37 (56), ladybud (47), Bran'sNana (44)

Site Wide Totals

teteri66 (1177), MSJayhawk (1004), Apollo123 (903), Titchou (847), janewhite1 (823), Gabriel (758), ladybud (753), sammy64 (668), midwest1 (668), BlueSkies14 (610)



All times are GMT -7. The time now is 12:44 PM.



Site owned and operated by HealthBoards.comô
Terms of Use © 1998-2014 HealthBoards.comô All rights reserved.
Do not copy or redistribute in any form!