I'm in the process of get a biopsy on my two nodules on my thyriod. If the nodules come back benign what do the doctors do? Do you get them removed or do you live with them? Is there a medication that you take that will shrink or remove them? Just curious?
I have a 2.8cm complex nodule that was discovered about 4 months ago. I went through all the tests, including a biopsy. It came back benign. My endo gave me synthroid (even though all my blood levels are fine). She said it may or may not shrink the nodule. I read everything I could find about nodules and couldn't find anywhere that synthroid is really helpful in shrinking them. Since I have trouble with most medications...for some reason, just about everything makes me break out in a rash all over my body...I decided not to take it.
In addition to my endo, I'm seeing a naturopathic doctor and going for Reiki treatments (which may sound a little off the wall). My naturopath said that she's had good luck shrinking other types of cysts by putting castor oil on them and told me to give it a shot...she's never tried it on a thyroid nodule before. Worst case scenario is that it won't do anything but give me a really soft neck :-)
The Reiki treatments are to balance my energy and to help my body get back in balance, which includes my thyroid. (I know, it sounds weird and I was a total skeptic...but after 5 sessions, I feel great!)
I go for a followup ultrasound this Friday and a followup with my endo on the 25th. I don't know if the nodule has shrunk. I can still feel it, but it's not bothering me as much as it was in April. Could just be that I'm used to it being there now. I'm not getting my hopes up.
But...the endo told me that if it hadn't shrunk, she was going to recommend surgery. Which I'm probably going to tell her that I'm not ready for that....I don't feel horrible, the nodule isn't bothering me, my thyroid seems to be working fine...why should I take it out?????
That's my story...I don't know if any of it helps you any.
I answered this in your other thread. FNA's (biopsy) are not 100% correct. The only true way to tell if a nodule is cancerous is through surgery.
I personally opted for the surgery even though my two FNA's came back as benign, I felt good, and all thyroid blood test numbers were well within range. I figured why live with something that has a chance, even though small chance, of being cancer? I requested the surgery and yes, mine turned out to be cancer (follicular varient of papillary carcinoma).
This is not to scare anyone, but to inform that just because a FNA comes back as benign, it is NOT 100% correct.
thanks for the info. i agree if it's there and there is a possiblity of it becoming canerous why not just remove it. i know dr.s don't like to do surgery unless it's necessary but i for one cannot constantly go through all of these tests several times a year. still waiting for my nuclear scan results. don't know what my pcp's plan of action will be yet. my blood work has also always been ok. it was a surprise to eveyone when accidentally the enlarged thyroid with multi nodules was detected. the FNA still scares the h--- out of me.
As someone who lived with thyroid cancer long enough for it to metastasize to a rib where it grew long enough to weaken it so that it cracked spontaneously, then lived with a cracked rib for another year before the follicular cancer was finally diagnosed, I'd say don't opt for what might be unnecessary surgery.
The most common thyroid cancers (papillary and follicular) are both extremely slow growing. People live with them for decades. Why let a surgeon remove your thyroid gland when it may well be healthy? Even if the nodule is cancerous go about your business and deal with it when it starts to impact on your health.
The fna is nothing. I could have gone back to work but in case I asked for two days off together. My endo nummed me then waited for a few minutes and then one at a time took one needle and stuck in my neck and he used the ultrasound machine. After the nummes is gone you have little pain....I took motrin. I am also trying to decide between rai and/or surgery. It is so hard to decide and of course so many decisions. I am just tired of waiting to be hypo. Take care!
I'm with you. i am just plain old tired of waiting and not knowing. the results of my nuclear scan showed one "cold" suspicious nodule not multiple like the ultrasound showed. don't see the endo until august 31 st. the waiting and not knowing what's next drives me crazy.