It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

Thyroid Disorders Message Board
Post New Thread   Closed Thread
LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 07-18-2006, 09:42 AM   #1
(female)

pink&blue4ever HB User
Help me with my Weight Loss with Hypo: Newbie

need support....

I am getting really down about my weight loss journey. I just seem to be going in circles.

Background info: Hypothyroid with levels starting to need tweaking...but not quite yet. Also, found out my magnesium is low..taking supplements along with my prenatal.

For 2 months on Weight watchers flex program, I bounced up and down the same 5 pounds.

Doc says, "no white stuff"

Been doing that for over a week. Not hungry...eating in a south beach type fashion. Very happy with my eating...very under control.

Worked out last night at 8:30...it was still 97 degrees...and drank a lot of water yesterday.

Today: UP 3 POUNDS! WTHeck?

Guys, my weight has got to come off. I have to get healthy and I am so motivated, I just can't seem to get it to work. And it is really getting me down.

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 07-18-2006, 10:50 AM   #2
(male)

Nutboy HB User
Re: Help me with my Weight Loss with Hypo: Newbie

Any reason why you're even trying to lose weight while prenatal?

You can not weigh yourself daily as the results will not be apparent. Exercising also creates muscle which is actually heavier then fat. So gaining muscle mass will increase your weight, along with all the extra water you're consuming. In the short term it will look like you're gaining. Suggest you try weekly weighs instead.

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 07-18-2006, 10:56 AM   #3
(female)

pink&blue4ever HB User

I am taking prenatals because I am nursing a 6 month old..and it is a great vitamin...has minerals I need for my thyroid, too.

I am doing a weekly weigh in...up 3 pounds from last week.

Old 07-18-2006, 12:05 PM   #4
Inactive
(female)

ICC HB UserICC HB UserICC HB User

same problem. i diet and exercise and nothing happens. if i don't watch everything i eat i gain extrememly rapidly. just found an enlarged thyroid with a "cold suspicious" nodule. don't see the endo until august 31st. i am assuming this is directly related to my weight problems.

Old 07-18-2006, 02:22 PM   #5
(female)

boata HB User

You sound like me before I was on enough medication - I was on 1000 calories a day and gaining weight. My doctor didn't believe me! I have had to bully my way up to 3 1/2 grains of armour - now in my fourth month since being diagnosed hypothyroid. Only in the last two weeks has my weight budged, even though I'm eating more than half again as much as I used to! I'm seeing weight loss consistant with calorie intake at last! I was on Weight Watchers too - and it's a wonderful program. I actually didn't eat as many points as I was allotted, and still gained weight.

>Background info: Hypothyroid with levels starting to need tweaking...but not quite yet.

What do you mean by this? If your levels are off, this is probably a hint that you need more meds? What medication are you on and what are your labs showing?

Old 07-18-2006, 03:13 PM   #6
(female)

pink&blue4ever HB User

I am not positive what my numbers are...but they said my t3 is low but my t4 is good. after next week, I am going to see what the numbers are and meet with my regular internal medicine doc and talk her into a change.

I am on levothyroxine

Old 07-19-2006, 10:56 AM   #7
Senior Veteran
(female)

pursie HB User

same as me im on levo also and ive gained moere weight while on 50 than i was before i work out twice aday and i eat nex to nothing i also walk and run around aftewr 3 kids under 10 all day!!!! what else can i do i have around 500 kcals aday!!!! love kat p xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx:confused : x

Old 07-21-2006, 11:45 AM   #8
(female)

comanchesue HB User

I think that weighing yourself daily and recording your weight is critical to losing successfully. This way you can find out how you lose weight-for me it charts out as a general downward trend, but with many peaks.

3# overnight is common is you are a woman or hypo. You have to know it's water weight not fat and it'll come off.

Are you watching your sodium intake? reading all the labels? I'll gain a pound or two daily if i ingest >1600 mg of sodium.

Muscles is denser than fat so if you are replacing fat with muscle your weight probably wont change, but you will lose inches. Of course, you would need to work out with weights pretty strongly and regularly for at least a month to gain even a pound of muscle...

Just be patient and continue to eat healthy, the weight loss will eventually come. And if you are still nursing, you don't want to go too low on your calories.

Old 07-21-2006, 01:46 PM   #9
(female)

jjules HB User

Quote:
Originally Posted by pursie
same as me im on levo also and ive gained moere weight while on 50 than i was before i work out twice aday and i eat nex to nothing i also walk and run around aftewr 3 kids under 10 all day!!!! what else can i do i have around 500 kcals aday!!!! love kat p xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx:confused : x
Pursie, Do you really gain weight on Levo?? I just started taking it and I lost about 12lbs prior to finding out I was Hypo & put on 25mcg of Levo. Also my mom is taking 150mcg and she is pretty slim. I hope I won't gain any...Jules

Old 07-21-2006, 02:25 PM   #10
(female)

Kharma HB User

I'm hypo and I've lost 70 pounds over the past year and a half. Part of that time I was on Synthroid, the other part I was on Armour. I don't know if it matters what meds you're on as much as getting your bloodwork in an optimal place that helps. After years of WW and other diets Atkins was the one that finally worked for me. I'm a huge believer in low carb now. It might not be for everyone, but for me it was a life saver.

Old 07-21-2006, 03:16 PM   #11
(female)

jjules HB User

I try and I say try to watch my carbs. Do people with Hypo need to watch certain things they eat? I think I read some things in another post earlier but cant quite remember. Thanks for any comments on this-Jules

Old 07-23-2006, 12:24 PM   #12
Senior Veteran
(female)

pursie HB User

thanks for your reply good post its a strain for us hypo ts aint it, everyone else can loose weight and we have to work twice as hard and still dont get nowhere!!!! love to everyone and what if we are fat , we will sort it out with our determination and support of each other xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx xxxxxx love from katpursxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx xxxx

Last edited by moderator2; 07-23-2006 at 12:35 PM. Reason: please don't offer to start group posts - this website is for one-to-one support

Closed Thread