It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

Thyroid Disorders Message Board
Post New Thread   Closed Thread
LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 07-18-2006, 12:30 PM   #1
(female)

sjde HB User
When to go on meds?

I have a sister with hashimoto's. In March my TSH was 5.5 and the endocrinologist wanted me to go on meds. I didn't, since I wasn't having symptoms. So I had it rechecked this month and it was normal--3.5. Apparently you can have a lot of variation. Do most doctors wait to put you on meds until you have 2 consecutive high readings? Seems they should. Four years ago I had one high reading too.

Sue

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 07-18-2006, 01:01 PM   #2
(female)

rockylucy05 HB User
Re: When to go on meds?

I have Hashi's and I have been hyper, normal, hyper, normal, and etc. When I have had blood work done it has never showed that I am in the hypo stage. I am not sure about how many times you have to have a high reading to get on meds. I am still waiting to be hypo to go on meds. Thank goodness my sis does not have hashi's and I hope she never does. I have 5 relatives (grandmother-thyroid removed, aunt, aunt, cousin, and a uncle) all have thryoid problems. Nobody in the immediately family has a thyroid problem except me.

Cindy

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 07-18-2006, 03:12 PM   #3
(female)

daisy01 HB User

from what I see with your lab results you are spluttering your way into hypo. I also have hashi's and have had blood tests done only a few weeks apart and they have swung from a tsh of 5.5 to 13.5 without a med dosage change, I believe it depends on many factors such as time of day tests were drawn etc. I also feel worse(hypo) with PMS.

I would take the meds now before you get really sick, it seems the sicker you are in the beginning the longer it takes to feel well again, but thats just my opinon.
best wishes
luv daisyxxxxxxxx

Old 07-18-2006, 03:51 PM   #4
(male)

Nutboy HB User

a 3.5 TSH is hypo for diagnosis according to the new standards....which are .3 to 3.0. So that is 2 high results. Have to be careful in that realm. I would suggest you have them do a FT4 and FT3 test on you. If those don't come back in the upper 1/3 range, I'd start the meds. Even if you don't feel symptoms, hypotyroidism can cause systemic damage, up to and including heart disease.

Old 07-18-2006, 07:12 PM   #5
(female)

sjde HB User

My doctor doesn't treat or doesn't consider it high until 5.5.

Sue

Old 07-19-2006, 05:10 AM   #6
Senior Veteran
(female)

pursie HB User

this is interesting my doc has put me on 50m after much crap and tweaking and testing and..........
anyway im now 2.8 and i feel like .... and he said i was in rANGE IT JUST DEPENDS I WISH THE LAST MED RAISE HAD TOOK ME UP TO 1. SOMETHING lol sorry about the caps i wasnt being aggresive , the moderator said it is aggresive to use caps so i oppolagize lol
lots of love from kat pxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx

Old 07-19-2006, 07:58 AM   #7
Senior Veteran
(female)

midwest1 HB Usermidwest1 HB Usermidwest1 HB Usermidwest1 HB Usermidwest1 HB Usermidwest1 HB Usermidwest1 HB Usermidwest1 HB Usermidwest1 HB Usermidwest1 HB Usermidwest1 HB User

Quote:
My doctor doesn't treat or doesn't consider it high until 5.5.
I had a primary doc who doesn't treat till TSH reaches 6. I took myself to an endo who treats no matter what the TSH is if there are antibodies and symptoms present. You can see there is wide variation among doctors as to "when to treat".

If you have symptoms, you should find yourself a doctor who will treat you now. TSH can fluctuate up to 3 full points in a day's time, so your TSH has likely been over the upper limit for quite a while. If you have symptoms, potentially permanent damage is taking place in your body. Treating now will turn that around.

Closed Thread