It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

Thyroid Disorders Message Board
Post New Thread   Closed Thread
LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 07-18-2006, 02:25 PM   #1
Senior Veteran
(male)

Archie343 HB User
If 200mcg Synthroid why 75mcg Cytomel?

When I go off Synthroid and start Cytomel I'm anticipating a problem. I've read on here that 25mcg of Cytomel is the equivalent of 100mcg Synthroid. I take 200mcg of Synthroid but I just picked up my Rx and my endo is calling for me to take 25mcg of Cytomel 3 times a day for a 75mcg daily total.

If that is equivalent to 300mcg of Synthroid I'm going to go super hyper in a day or two, I think.

Could someone straighten me out?

Old 07-18-2006, 04:52 PM   #2
(female)

kwebster HB User
Re: If 200mcg Synthroid why 75mcg Cytomel?

Archie:
Hi, hope you are well. I went off levoxyl prior to my TT on June 21st. Then my endo put me on 25mg of Cytomel twice a day to prepare for the RAI test and subsequent I-131 treatment. Holy cow! It is POWERFUL. If you get overmedicated it can cause bad diarrhea, jitters, heart palps, and feeling of hyper activity. It took about two days for me to feel this. Called the endo and he took me off for two days and then we decided on a course to gradually increase the mcg in increments. What a difference! I never really got up to a full 25mcg. I took about 3/4 tablet each day. It was basically finding that fine line where I could function. Anyway, I decided not to go full strength because they were just gonna pull me off of it anyway for my scan and treatment.

Are you doing the Low Iodine Diet now? I started that today and went off my Cytomel. Am concerned about getting hypo and the affects of it. Oh well, there isn't much I can do.
Talk to you soon.
Kathy

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 07-18-2006, 11:04 PM   #3
Senior Veteran
(male)

builder HB Userbuilder HB User

That sounds way to much to start with. I was on .125mcg of Synthroid. I felt like it didn't do much for me. Yet 20mcg of Cytomel was way to much for me. I felt like I was on speed. I was up all night and my nerves felt like they were coming out my skin. Like the other post, I got the side effects. I cut it down to 10mcgs. I felt ok but not great. i did some experimenting on my own and cut it down to 5mcg of Cytomel and 50mcg of Synthroid. This seems to work well for me. I have felt the best on this combination. If after a month or so I start feeling lousy again, then I will increase my dose. I honestly think from what I read that a lot of people's body's just don't convert Synthroid T4 to the active thyroid hormone T3 Cytomel. So at .200mcgs..maybe your body is converting only half that amount of the active hormone. I would not do .25mcg 3 times a day. Actually I would cut the .25mcg in half and wait a few hours to see the effect. Cytomel hits you pretty quick. You will know in a few hours how it is effecting you. Take more slowly if you have to. After 15 years of going to the doctor with my thyroid problem, I have learned to trust myself when deciding the amount of medicine to take. You are the only one who knows if you feel better. Also I have not experienced to so called Cytomel crash at mid day. Since I started Cytomel, I no longer have the terrible muscle pain and leg pains I was having. My knees and shins hurt like a toothache almost constantly. I use to take pain meds every day for this. I was diagnosed with Fibromyalgia I was in pain all the time. Now maybe I do have Fibro, but all I know is that I ache a heck of a lot less since I added a small amount of cytomel to my body everyday.

Last edited by builder; 07-18-2006 at 11:17 PM.

Old 07-19-2006, 05:34 AM   #4
Senior Veteran
(male)

Archie343 HB User

Thanks for the information, all. Looks like I will need to be very carefull and adjust the dose on my own to avoid the palps, etc.

I will be off Synthroid for a week before starting the Cytomel. With that in miind it sounds like the sudden intake of 75mcg of Cytomel that first day could be like being hit by a sledge hammer.

As for diet, the doctor said to avoid seafood and switch to plain salt. He doesn't seem to be much of a believer in a strict low-iodine diet.

Last edited by Archie343; 07-19-2006 at 05:37 AM.

Old 07-20-2006, 02:53 PM   #5
(female)

indias HB User

Hi, Archie

Sounds like you are getting ready for a Radioactive Iodine Whole Body scan. I was wondering when that would happen for you. Remember to not wait until the prescribed time for your blood tests. You will probably be at or above the necessary TSH long before they want to test you. Some docs want you to be over 25 and some want you higher. I was off levoxyl for about 3 weeks and was at 43. If you reach the optimin number earlier than expected, often they will go ahead and do the scan early, then you can get back on your regular dose sooner and feel better.

Let us know how the scan turns out. I wish you well.

I, too, have Follicular Carcinoma and am trying to get into M.D. Anderson in Houston for a "second opinion" for a course of action. Have you given any thought to trying this?

Anyway, good luck and we're thinking about you.

India

Old 08-07-2006, 06:28 AM   #6
(female)

tam966 HB User

Good Morning,
I am new to this site. To make a long story short. I recently had a total thyroidectomy. The path report showed pappillary cancer. I recently had the I-131 radiation treatment. I started my medication 5 days ago.Synthroid and Cytomel together. I had the palpitations, short of breath, ect. I quit the Cytomel. My only question is when will I feel normal again? I am so tired, irratable, ect.How long does it take? I would like my life back. I need to go back to work.
Thank You for Listening,
Tammy

Old 08-07-2006, 06:37 PM   #7
(female)

kwebster HB User

Tammy!
Glad to hear you are done with the treatment. How did it go? Anyway, I am getting ready for it - I too have pap. carcinoma. My endo wants me on only 25 mcg of Cytomel for 4-5 days immediately upon dishcarge only then stop. At the same time, I am to start taking Levoxyl (like synthroid) 150 mcg per day. I know to start gradually since the stuff can be a shock to your system - especially the Cytomel - at least for me. I much prefer the Levoxyl. Listen to your body. You may need to knock off the Cytomel a bit and build up gradually. I had to that after the TT with the Cytomel. Oh, run the heart palps by your doctor. That's the first indicator you are on too much Cytomel.

Best wishes!
Kathy

Closed Thread