It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

Thyroid Disorders Message Board
Post New Thread   Closed Thread
LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 07-18-2006, 03:22 PM   #1
(female)

ebon_aurora HB User
What now?

Please see this thread, [url]http://www.healthboards.com/boards/showthread.php?t=378116[/url] to get a better understanding of where I'm coming from.

I just saw my third and final doctor since my parents won't allow me to see anymore. And, of course, I got nothing from this visit. All he said was that this is normal for drinking. That drinking changes your whole physiology. Even after I told him that all of this stuff started after I quit! I tried to tell him that this isn't normal meaning its not normal for ME and he wouldn't even let me finish! All I got to say was, "But I don't think this is normal-" then he cut me off and was saying that it's not normal because everyone is different! I meant its not normal for me! I've sobered up many a time NEVER to be greeted with 15 pounds of weight gain and hair loss. He told me that he didn't think this was in my head but that it was something that couldn't be treated with medicine. Basically that I just needed to wait it out. All the while I'm losing my hair and getting fatter. Then he told me I needed to see a psychiatrist to get all of my emotional problems worked out as well. If that's not craftily saying its partly in my head then I don't know what is.

This has been going on for 5 months. The last time I looked and felt this way I was on lithium and that was 3 years ago. This is NOT NORMAL. I just don't know what else to do. Yeah, I may not weigh 200+ pounds and I may not look like I'm going bald...YET. Am I going to have to wait till it gets that far before I can get a doctor to really listen? ANY support and advice that can be given will be very much appreciated. I'm beginning to lose hope that I'll ever be able to fix what's going on with me. And I know that a lot of you here can identify. Which is why I keep coming back here. It may not be my thyroid at all. It could be something totally different. Regardless, I know something is wrong and its been a struggle and a fight to find out. I know that a lot of you have fought this fight. I suppose I just need a little restoration of hope. Thanks guys.

Last edited by ebon_aurora; 07-18-2006 at 09:31 PM.

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 07-19-2006, 10:24 PM   #2
(female)

ebon_aurora HB User
Re: What now?

Well, I just want to go ahead and say thanks for all the help you've given me over all. It looks like I really have no reason to come back here since I know I'll never get a diagnosis. Good luck to you all.

Old 07-20-2006, 05:02 AM   #3
Senior Veteran
(female)

pursie HB User

hi dont you let them do that to you i had hairloss and weight gain for 3 4 years before they did a thyroid test and it came backk normal they only found it when it was by accident ticked on the form my iron tests went off in!!! i new it wasnt just stess wich is what the docs inccidently tried to say it was !! and he showered me with diazepam wich i got addicted to and i still have to use them now on occasion when the docs say its stree or a mental problem its a cop out for them cos they dont want to have to investigate!!! you are going to have to get really tough and say you want a thyroid funvtion test your tsh levels need to be taken and your t4 and t3 and get them to test your iron and folic acid and b12 and ferritin and calcium and they should always test your blood sugar write theese down they may aswell test for all this if they are doing your thyroid tests anway, and dont forget your magnesium , please tell me you wont give up, what will your doc say if yoyu want thyroid tests??????, if you think he will say no go to a different one and if your parents are in vcharge? tell them to tell the doc, you have nothing to loose!! please reply and tell me your thoughts, and keep us all posted you sound so sad, it made me very sad when im got my hair loss from the age of 29 so i know it must make you sad its is worse for a woman than a man!!! dont you take no for a awnser and i really feel for you, lots of love from katpurs ps what country are you from????? if its england where im from they have to free and if you are from the states if you have a private doc bin him and get a new onexxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx xxxxxxxxxxx

Old 07-20-2006, 05:20 AM   #4
Senior Veteran
(female)

pursie HB User

dont go!!! you sound such a nice girl but your pain has touched me i have spent many a time crying cos of my hair loss, it might not be your thyroid! but get it ruled out , but ill tell you thyroid function changes hour to hour so if they tell you its in range meaning you are within 1-5 ask what the tsh result is and im say this because i felt ill for a long time and i was at a 3.8 incidentally they are changing the range to 1 - 4 so if you are nearer the bottom end say 3 something you could still have underactive thyroid and if you do tell him you want to keep an eye on it and keep testing every 2 months till you get it its just how it works !!!!!!!! if it does appear that you are underactive you then need to find out if you have hashimotos or not wich means you will need to say to your doc you want thyroid antibody testing!!! its mind blowing aint it !!! but you really must take this on board, i found that i put more weight on with the meds than i did before being medicated!!!!!! please think about what i have said , cos it sounds very much like my symptoms lots of love from katpursxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx xxx praying for you keep in touch, also if there is no way its your thyroid after lots of tests for the next year then get your adrenals tested. DONT GIVE UP IM WITH YOU KATPURS FROM THE UK!!!!! have you had any other symptoms??? ie is it hard to write for a long time
is your hand writing scruffy, have you had any dry skin, or itchy scalp or skin, have you felt really cold ie cold hands or feet more than usual depending what the weather is like where you live , if its really hot where you live, you might have been feeling more hot, also have you been forgetfull, and a bit more deppressed than usuall, locking yourself in the house with no motivation to do anthing!!!!!!!!! then you must keep on the docs case and ask for those tests dont give upxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx xxxxxxxxxx xxxxxxxxxxxxxxx xxxxxx ps keep testing for more than a year if you have to remember alot of the people here had to force ther docs hands and were actually in range when they were given the medication, the docs were made to listen to there symptoms, your hairloss wont go away till you get this sorted once the thyroid starts to die ti never goes back to normal its life long you cant put it on the back burner and it will go away, remember try to replyxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx

Last edited by pursie; 07-20-2006 at 05:26 AM.

Closed Thread